Clutch maybe?

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
So far with the several miles I have put on the little girl, I have began to notice something that I would like to ask the many mile riders. I have noticed that after a ride and placing the clutch in the lockout position that when I return it seems the clutch is stuck because it will slide the wheels for a second when I try moving the bike into position etc. I just noticed it did this again, engine cool. Do I need to adjust the clutch a little? I hate to mess with it for it has been doing so fine. Let me know. Another thought is it will wear into adjustment so to speak after a few more miles. Keep in mind the girl is still in breakin mode. Thanks and I draw a group everywhere I stop. Gotta love it. gphil brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you certain it's the clutch that's binding up...or the chain? If you are leaving the clutch locked in the disengaged position I can't see how it would bind/stick engaged.

There's also the possibility that your clutch cable is stretching a little. That's normal and leaving the bike set with the clutch disengaged is one way I reduce the number of times that cable adjustment is needed when the cable is kit supplied or new. All cables will stretch a little and require tightening after the initial adjustment. It's possible that your clutch just isn't completely disengaging which will require the cable be tightened just a little. You'll want little to no slack in the cable at the engine with the handlebar lever in the engaged (unsqueezed) position.
Let us know what you find and good luck.

Tom

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Did you put grease in the right side of the engine might have slung out and got on the clutch pads...easy fix cleaning the pads they are easy to take out and clean.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I always give the girl a preflight, chain etc before riding even on return trip. Too old for pavement rash. I do park with the clutch disingaged, pin locked etc. It almost feels like the heat has made parts expand somewhat because it just pops lose. It could need a little more adjustment. Lordy do I have fun on that thing. Got to build another. Heck my 92 year old pop wants one. Noticed the increase price wise also,,,, oh well. Still cheap fun. gphil

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
It sounds like the cabel is stretching still. Also, you shouldn't park you bike and leave the clutch lever squeezed in and locked for long periods of time.
I put another of the little clutch end keepers(the brass piece with the bolt in the side) in sequence with the single keeper. Since then I have not had trouble with it slipping.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Thanks leadfarmer, I will disengage the lever. I did that thinking heat build form the eng would cook the clutch. The double end keepers is a very good idea. Thanks. gphil

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Release the clutch cable tension, without taking it off, and first check to see if the cable is moving in the housing properly- I recently had some housing that was peeling itself off the metal inner sheath, and bunching up in the adjustable cable grommet-

the syptoms were similar to what you describe

Other than that, almost ALL new cables on any bike will stretch a bit and should be reset after this- usually within a few weeks- and usually only once is necessary

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Ok gonna check all that. I believe it has just stretched a little. Strange though , once it breaks free , no more catching until run again. We will see. Long ride tomorrow. gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
After ride back from uptown I checked the clutch after shuting down in my driveway. It was still slightly engaged and when I put some pressure on the cutch throw arm it let go. So it seems like adjustment is needed and the thing must expand a little and make contact. Not sure that is the case but seems like it. More to come. gphil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you lubricated the clutch actuating parts? The cam inside the sprocket cover, the bucking bar, or pin that protrudes from the center of the sprocket and the ball bearing that goes in behind that pin?

They all need to be greased. It sounds like something is binding and keeping the clutch engaged. Not normal but if they haven't been lubricated the parts mentioned above can give you problems.
Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I did but will go back and do it again. I probably did not want to put too much there thinking it would go places it sould not. Thanks for the info, this too shall be accomplished. gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
The area where the sproket is on the side of the engine, is that a bushed shaft or ball bearing? Just wondering. Has anybody ever had failure in that area? I need to get in there tomorrow and have a look see, at least lube the clutch arm etc. gphil