New build help

GoldenMotor.com

Audiofreak

Jan 18, 2012
Florida, wpb
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and to motorized bikes in general, although I have made a go kart or 2 from scratch, and have done some research and studied these forums.

I am 18, and cannot afford a car for the next couple months. I have a nice push-bike that I know well and love. It only has one fixed gear. I wish to attach a motor to fit the following criteria-

Criteria:
<$200
Cruising speed >35mph
Able to do 165 mile trips (can refuel)
Reliable for everyday trips to and from work (10-20 miles a day)

I make a trip across the state, from West Palm Beach to Sarasota, 2 or 3 times a month to visit my girlfriend. Recently I've been taking the train, or she drives down here. The train is getting expensive, and long term this is a great way to save some money until I can afford a car. I won't be making any more than 5 trips to Sarasota on the bike, because my girlfriend plans on moving much closer to me.

I want to know if there is a cheap and quality kit available, or how else I should go about doing this. I have reasonable mechanical and engineering ability, and am able and willing to create this from scratch.

Any ideas welcome :)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
To answer some of your questions I have to ask a few. How much do you know about 2-cycle engines? Do you have tools to do polishing or debubing of parts like intake and exhaust? These will help you build a bike that runs better to start with if you clean everything up from the start. As for the speed, a good cruising speed on most bikes is around 28 to 30 mph. As for the long trips the problem I had is not the bike but me, riding that far at one time at 30mph would make a-lot of things sore.

Audiofreak

Jan 18, 2012
Florida, wpb
Sore is a sacrifice that I'll have to make. Not to worry. :)

No I do not have access to metal work tools. I do live next door to a carpenter that owns many tools for his business. My knowledge of 2 cycle engines is decent enough I'd like to think.

I'd really love a link :)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a friend that rode his bike to work most of last summer, his trip was about ten miles one way. Since you should not have as many hills to climb in Fl. your ride should be fun. Just remember to pack tools and spare parts like chain master links and fix a flat.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
For less then $200.00, that would put you in the market for a Chinese HT, kit. As far as the ride and a engine holding up...with some needed modifications, right out of the box, it can be done. I'm riding on the same engine (have never been into it since installed) since 3/2009. But it is not a every day commuter. I'd have no problem jumping on it and riding it 20 miles at a wack. What concerns me the most is cagers. My favorite ride is Oak Mountain. When we go there we travel ALL the paved roads, which is quite extensive.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA

Last edited: