Grubee HD Axle Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Bontrager5

Jul 15, 2010
north county, san diego
Yo everyone,

I just purchased a Grubee Axle kit and was looking for some help from anyone who has used the kit before. I am new to wheelbuilding and am wondering what the ideal rim and spoke combination would be for the hub that comes in the kit . This is my first build so im pretty green, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome! I've got one and it's built with 270mm 12 gauge stainless steel spokes in a x4 configuration on a double walled alloy 26"wheel that is dished for a RH drive freewheel and a LH side sprocket flange mount and band brake.

All I can say is good luck and I would take it to a reputable wheel builder as I usually do...cheers!

EDIT: 36 stainless steel spokes cost $40 alone.

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi
You can use your old wheel for the upgrade take your wheel and HD Axle to a bike shop my guy charges $35 to do a wheel plus spokes. Grubee also sells completed wheels for $130 I have a bunch of videos that can help you with putting your axle together here is a link to my youtube channel just look for the install HD Axle kit here is the first one just look for the rest YouTube - 2010 Felt Twin Remove Engine Mount for Paint - Start HD Axle #1
here is the link to my channel YouTube - TMRBLOW's Channel
Hope this helps you
Terry

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
quote from scotto- "36 stainless steel spokes cost $40 alone."

imho: money well spent.

WPadgett

May 23, 2011
Bloomington, IN
Hi I'm thinking of buying a grubee HD Wheel and I was wondering if it was possible to install shimano roller brakes on it instead the band brake that comes with the wheel.

Thanx
Will

WPadgett

May 23, 2011
Bloomington, IN
Do you no if there is an alternative to the band brake for the grubee hd wheel? I'll clarify is there a different brand of band brake or some other kind of drum brake that will fit that hub?

Thanx
Will