Metro Detroiter

GoldenMotor.com

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
Hey all,

I have used this and other forums to figure out my first build. It has taken months to get together, partially because I pieced the bike together, and partially because I ran into roadblocks installing the kit.

Now I am on to phase II, the riding of the bike. It went about four blocks before the exhaust came unattached, and then the clutch handle fell apart. I have reattached the exhaust better, but I think I might need to replace the stud on the non-crank side, feels a little stripped. After I walked the bike home, I replaced the clutch handle bolt, but I think some interior pieces are missing as it is harder to pull and will not lock.

Also, even though the clutch seems to engage/disengage, the engine will not start again. Maybe the rear light (12v, need to change) hooked to the white wire melted the magneto. I am not sure, but I bought another when I ordered my new clutch handle, just in case.

As part of this build I ended up buying two full bikes, two set of handlebars, another frame, two sets of forks, and god knows what else. The good news is i have a collection of odds and ends that will make a good basis for another bike. The bad news is I went way over budget, but I should have figured on that.

Anyways, the final product is:
WWII surplus handlebars
1950 Columbia frame/neck/rear fender
Front suspension fork/fender from an old BF Goodrich bike (not sure it is a BFG fork though)
Bicycle-Engines wide crank
Stewart Warner Cadet Speedometer (not hooked up)
Army surplus bags
Columbia reproduction rack
Persons saddle
Bicycle-Engines carb (I thought I lost some carb internals, so I ordered a carb. I was wrong, but impatient to have it running.)
Spooky Tooth kickstand
Live Fast Motors XL rear engine mount
Live Fast Motors long exhaust
Dax 70

And soon to be Spooky Tooth clutch handle.

Attachments

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
Thanks guys, I really can't complain too much about problems. I had never put together a bike from parts or mounted an engine before. I already think a second build would go much smoother, but maybe i am having a selective memory.

Anyways, a couple things are on their way from Spooky Tooth and I will be back on the road soon. I am sure I will have a few more kinks to work out, but I am getting there.