pvc gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Fantastic Cam! Please do update often. I read about 400 posts, articals and internet cunfusid on this. One guy put gas in PVC for some thing like 2 yrs to test. His pics looked fine. The chemical compatibility pages said it would damage the plastic and break it down so I dunno.

I am going to do one using CPVC, (like the "experts" suggested) Is a lot more expensive and harder to find. So if the great PVC experiment works, wohoo. Cheap, easy to work with and can buy off any shelf! Leave it to ACME labs, snork

SSReducing Tee
(Slip X Slip X Slip)
ITEM DESCRIPTION
61801338 3 X 3 X 2 CPVC SCH 80 TEE SSS
61801420 4 X 4 X 2 CPVC SCH 80 TEE SSS
61801532 6 X 6 X 4 CPVC SCH 80 TEE SSSTee

http://www.ewing1.com/_media/ews_cat_2006_6100.pdf

dance1

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you're looking for CPVC check your area for mobile home parts/service shops. Almost all mobile/modular homes are built with CPVC for some odd reason.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks big time Kev!!! You wouldn't believe how many places I have been. Was going to be either special order or shipped. Not that thats a big deal but so much easier to get the imagination going if you can hold what ever in your hand and look at other parts to make it work.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
this is just plain ole pvc from lowes, the tank is made from 3" and is 9" long, i've heard so much about how pvc won't hold up so i thought i'd just see for my self, the experiment part is that i coated the inside with caswells 2 part epoxy tank sealer. i also made an identical tank for my 28" mongoose bike, but it is coated with the cheaper red coat tank liner.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have only used tank sealer once, on my more recent 1 gallon tank. The extra that I had to pour out of the tank I decided to pour into a cardboard box. The box held gas until it evaporated, about 1 month. The box never leaked out of the bottom. I used a 1 part sealer from NAPA. I don't remember the name, but it was blue in color and would get you high pretty quick if not in a well ventilated area.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
been 6 weeks now and both tanks are doing fine, i think it's safe to say that if you coat the pvc tanks with tank sealer they will last. i put a morini motor on the worksman and am going to use a goped tank mounted on the handelbars for it. put i will keep the tank sitting around full of gas and keep an eye on it. still running the pvc tank on the mongoose though.

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
That is great news!

Might have to make one myself eventually, maybe as a rear mounted secondary tank or something..

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Cool, I got an old scuba diving tank and cut it to fit one of my trikes. It's upside down with the tank in a rack. Have a friend that makes doll clothes and she made it look like a wolf. It's neat, rotfl

[email protected]

Jan 7, 2011
california
check out worksman clearance i posted a pitcure of 2 tanks i built from welding shop scrap worked great but my flush mount gas caps got flushed so im waiting on 2 china girls to scavenge the necks and caps will have a extra one if anyone is interested
God i love this **** keep biking

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
don't have any close up pics, i'm in the process of putting a handle bar mounted tank on this bike. the other tank is sitting on a shelf, still with gas in it. there still holding up great. this one it's mounted to the rear rack with hose clamps.