how often do you pedal? Tips on pedaling..

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I have ridden in those 'no motorized bike trails'

Most people I encountered seem very intrested in my bike. Of course, Id slow down and putt by anyone I saw, and usally just kill the motor and pedal or walk it if they have dogs that look like they are getting excited by the noise. Or a baby stroller.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that'd never work in california. if any of the hardcore roadies see ya with a motor, they'd chase you down and beat you up. and how embarrasing would it be to get beat up by a bunch of guys in spandex, with shaved legs and clickety-clack shoes?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I avoid Critical Mass because too many riders actually provoke hostilities.

If you are peaceful and knowledgeable about your state laws, and wear helmet, good luck to you though.

I have 1 pedal gear and one motor gear. The pedal gear is a 36x something on the coaster hub, that goes about 10-15mph. The motor takes over from 8mph and can pull without assistance at 12-30mph (stock driver cog and 36hole rear cog).

This works really well, esp on flat ground.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Even easier than that, keep a few zipties with you. You can just get the chain off the wheel cog, and zip tie it to the frame, for free coasting. If the cops say you can't have a motor, just say its a decorative effect, and point out that the chain isn't on it to motor with.

keep a pair of plyers in your backpack, Use them to remove the master link and put the chain into a baggie so it doesnt leave oil all over your backpack. Then you get rid of ALL the extra friction the motor kit adds :) Back to stock bicycle. kinda :)

Really good tip for when your motor dies and you gotta switch to pedaling.. else theres just too much friction.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I get tires (26" and 700c, even 27" American) for $10-15 at -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works

They also have Tektro and similar replacement caliper brakes that work on 700c wheels on 26 or 27" forks, for $10-20.
dance1

Road bikes FRAMES are actually a little too short across the top bar- the tank actually gets in the way of peddalling- I have now found that I can cheat other larger wheels on the cruisers- but the brakes have to be measured carefully- a matched set will not usually work- the rear brake has to be very long- like a BMX brake.

but I DO stay on good roads- it's a transporation alternative that saves a lot of gas and I can ride all year in Florida.

But I think the wheels will be fine- of course the thinner the tire, the faster it's gonna wear- The 27 on the front I've found quite adequate. and you can't be especially heavy. I'm about 185.

For 700 C wheels, I'd stay at least with a 28 mm tire (1 1/8" approximately) The nice part with 700c is that there is a nice selection and availability is great.

I think the 50 cc may actually be the better motor- 66 might just be too much motor when the bike rolls this well, and a 50 is a lighter and quieter setup.

Tires are too expensive in general- part of the automotive/ oil plot I think.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
that'd never work in california. if any of the hardcore roadies see ya with a motor, they'd chase you down and beat you up
In 3500 miles of riding my motorized bike, I have yet to encounter a single pedal cyclist who can even come close to keeping up with me.

Sometimes if I come upon a really good rider, I fool with them a little. I slow down to their speed (which feels painfully slow) to see if they will race me. If so, I stay with them for a while until we get to a good size hill and then I go full throttle and blow them away. When I get to the top, I am continually amazed at how far back even the strongest cyclists are.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
In 3500 miles of riding my motorized bike, I have yet to encounter a single pedal cyclist who can even come close to keeping up with me.

Sometimes if I come upon a really good rider, I fool with them a little. I slow down to their speed (which feels painfully slow) to see if they will race me. If so, I stay with them for a while until we get to a good size hill and then I go full throttle and blow them away. When I get to the top, I am continually amazed at how far back even the strongest cyclists are.

ill say i have been passed two times by road bikes once on a straight away i passed up to spandexers and they took it personaly and passed me up but they couldnt keep up for long and turned left on the first street they could find i followed to see how long they could keep up the speed they actually kept ahead of me for a couple blocks and when we came to a red light they were so exausted looking breathing heavily and dripping sweat i couldnt control my laughter these guys trying to prove some sort of point that they can go faster than a motorbike but they cant outlast a motor bike

the second i passed up a road bike and he slowly fell back farther and farther till we hit a nice down hill he took the lead my motor was reved out and like the spandwexers he turned left on the first street he could find

but then again i weigh about 250 and my bike weighs at least 60 or 70 loaded down with supplies and a stock motor with 44tooth sprocket i feel 25 mph is pretty good cruising speed

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Many cities have become angered at critical mass demonstrations and the city of San Diego recently cracked down on a critical mass ride and the police were not to worried about weather there actions were legal or not when they wrote over 60 tickets and impounded around a dozen bicycles. If you want more prof of how people feel about critical mass then go on you tube and watch videos were antagonized motorists run over bicycles and police club some of them. I enjoy bicycling and will be motorizing my tandem soon. I will still pedal all of the time because that is the only way the tandem will move with the wife on the back and I need the exercise.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Just out of curiosity if you never ever want to peddle, why not ride a motorcycle?
Yeah i dont get that either , if i wanted a motorcycle to drag my fat ass around i would have bought one, i bought a kit so that i could peddle and get in shape , and still have to conv to be able to motor around.
I think it is really weak that anyone uses the motor on "bike" trails , thats for the road , and when on the "bike paths " pedal!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
With my 36 sprocket on, no roadies would EVER pass me- if I wound it out (never do). They might hang on for dear life for awhile. I know, I raced USCF for 14 years. I'm usually getting just about at big field sprint pace. They couldn't sustain that alone.

Wasn't that big Critical Mass police bust in Long Beach? I read about it in the LA Times online- I once worked at a bike shop on Naples Island there. Or was there another one in San Diego?.

A lot of people were pretty upset- they couldn't get permits- some had tried to get bike licenses and couldn't- and the police confiscated a bunch of bikes and handed out citations.

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i would love to see the police try that stuff here giving out tickets and taking bikes away it would start a riot well at least if everyone actually stood up for themselves that is for some reason these guys banded together to make a point about bicycling around but wouldnt stand up for themselves they are so pips qeaks

we out number law enforcment and they know it thats why they are always trying to make us think police are in control but they are not all we need is unity to overcome oppression

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
virginian said:
Did you expect to encounter a cyclist who would be a challenge to your motor bicycle. This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a kid's karate class and you guess it = DOMINATES!1!

virginian said:
]Sometimes if I come upon a really good rider, I fool with them a little. I slow down to their speed (which feels painfully slow) to see if they will race me. If so, I stay with them for a while until we get to a good size hill and then I go full throttle and blow them away. When I get to the top, I am continually amazed at how far back even the strongest cyclists are.
You realise that your weird road rage issues are definately not "helping" the community. People usually don't like cyclist on the road- and now thanks to the Chinese we have again empowered American white trash to get reckless, get in the way and just f*ck it up all nice and good for the rest of us who don't instantly turn the public highway into a Russian circus bears extravaganza for $150.
And If your "continual amazement" concerning the human body versus the small yet mighty 80cc internal combustion engine continues don't be surpirse when you run into a tree 'cause you're not paying attention to the road. Or a car-head on.
Just imagine what that will feel like. And then imagine a life spent in a fully motorized wheelchair!
You can race people who actually walk and then toot your little horn!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Easy folks...

While I've met a coupla pedalers that didn't appreciate my motorized bike for w/e reason, I'd like to think that we as can be a lil more understanding of the two-wheeled community in general as our hobby ofc encompasses all, blurring the line between bicycle & motorcycle, human and engine.

While "teasing" bicyclists defo won't endear them to our sport, fighting amongst ourselves will also in no way "help" the community - while everyone's opinions are valid, there's nothing that can't be said in a respectful manner. In fact when trying to persuade someone to see another point of view - a lil empathy, courtesy & even a touch of humor is often far more effective than a confrontational tone.

I'll be the first to admit a chuckle as I pass a pedaler, but it's not disparaging - it's relief that I too am not struggling up that blasted hill. I too sometimes "race" engine vrs human - amazed not by how far back they may be - but how well they kept up... It's all perspective *shrug* I've nothing but respect for those that do what I do - yet without "cheating" with an engine other than their own two legs ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california