Stripped threads... no problem

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Had a stripped exhaust screw(allen head) and was dreading replacing the cylinder body. But I took a small hair pin and stuck it in the hole then screwed the bolt back in... instant fix!!! Almost tighter than the other screw. Thank goodness for whitey wiring!!!

Question... If I do replace my cylinder body, do I have to break the engine in again?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
No, its in the head threads not the screw. I replaced the studs with allen head screws. The hair pin is not a bobby bin, but one of the pins used to hold hair in buns. Very thin. It worked fine and I was able to get the screw out again to add a gasket since the old one blew out. Then I just stuck a new pin in when I replace the screw. Thanks for the advice on re-breaking in, as I will replace the body eventually.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you could tap it with a 1/4-20 tap, and use a 1/4-20 bolt.

the hole is the right size so you wouldn't have to drill it before tapping. that'd (probably) be more secure than a hairpin, and you wouldn't need to replace the jug.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Best way to repair stripped threads in aluminum is to use Helicoils. They will give you a repair that's stronger than the original and you can use the same size bolt as before. Most auto parts stores have them, not real cheap but worth it. These things are good enough to be approved for thread repairs on aircraft engines.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If it ever strips out again Drill, Heli Coil it to 1/4-20 as mentioed above, use red locktite on the Heli coil and get you some 1/4-20 Grade 8 allen head bolts and you are done with that issue for ever and ever....! Just (DO NOT) PUT THE RED LOCKTITE ON THE GRADE 8 BOLTS USE BLUE ON THEM....!

I've thought about going ahead and doing this to my intake and exhaust and motor mount threads on my extra engine so that when I get ready to set it up these things will be resolved from having issue from the Git Go.

Good luck with the hair pin though, hope it gets you there and back a 1000 times over..!

Happy MAPBIKING.... (Motor-Assisted-Pedal-Bike)

.duh.:-||