Hmmmmm ???!!

GoldenMotor.com

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
Ok, so I've been riding my bike for about a week constantly, went to school today and showed it off. Then went back on and it didn't start???? :-|| So I looked to see if it was getting gas YES it was because it is bogging.

Looked at carb and float. carb looks fine and my homemade float works like a charm ;) Balsa wood shaped perfectly like real float with all seal covered twice coated thats all good. i tried 2 brand new spark plugs no GO i have to pedal with idle screw in perfect, makes noise but not Igniting maybe????

I have never messed with "that" black box that connects to my spark plug and kill switch that much. is that the CDI????? Do those go bad?? Whats inside there?? hehe, what does that stand for?? WHAT IS A MAG?? Its as is its not igniting, because it goes (with pedaling) it just sounds like im turning the piston. when i release the clutch no GO

Any Help?? Was working AWESOME earlier today :( :( about 35mph xct2

AGAIN spark plugs r new...................

BTW....... muffler is fine too actually is brand new..................

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
yeah my bike has been acting kinda funny lately too. I have been riding it 10 miles to and 10 milees from work every day for about a week now. It bogs out alot and since i put the kit on a new bike lately it has gotton worse. Im gonna rebuild my carb and seeif that fixes it.

As for your problem, yeah it sounds like spark issues. pull your plug out and leavei t connected to the wire. use one of those nifty bike trainer things to raise your back wheel off the ground and cranke the engeine while touching the tip of the plug to the motor and see if there is a spark.

If its a new plug, then you are either having CDI issues ("that box") or magneto issues

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ok, thanks i'll try that trick, still wondering what a magneto is though??
Longhorn,
Remove the left front side cover of your engine and you'll see the magneto. There is a coil of wire wrapped around a horse shoe shaped core and attached to the engine crankshaft is a two pole magnet that rotates through the arc of that coil and horse shoe. When a magnet is passed near a coil of wire and electrical current is generated. That current, about 80 volts in this case, is delivered the the CDI, capacitive discharge ignition module, where it is electronically increased to several thousand volts that are what the spark plug needs to spark. I hope this oversimplified explanation helps.
Tom

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
OK sooooooooo we did a reading on the wires coming from the magneto we tested the continuity and OL or open and then we tested the con. on another motor i have (broke mount) WE GOT READINGS................ So i'll check the connections and if thats fine HOW DOES A MAGNETO GO BAD??? and if so can i replace it with the one from the other motor?

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
anytime you can replace a part from another motor you should....its an easy way to diagnose a problem....true with any automotive or mb problem....im not a huge expert on magnitos....but i ruined one buy letting it get wet.....i use a bead of sealant on the housing cover and have had no trouble since.....hang in there dude...once these things run well they seem to run forever......aloha......J

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think a piece of Seal-All came off your float and clogged your jet, have a look before you start tearing into the electric.

Before you do anything with the electric, just check for spark.

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
I just got back from a longgg ride. the problem was the magneto, replaced it though and put my new muffler on. WOW i was going at least 35mph maybe 40. was going so fast my choke kept on going up and slowing me down, gonna have to tie it down or something.

who new a muffler would make such a difference, it also could have been that the magneto was bad from all the rain we've had here in dallas. Better get a cover for my motorcycle/moped. 2 guys PEDDALING there bmx bikes stopped me and were like SH!OT man dats bad azz yo. I couldn't possibly answer all there questions LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
i Have A Hard question, if the cdi module is bad can you still have spark??

My bike wont start I tested my magneto and got all the right readings. then tested the cdi module, the readings where all Wrong!..... BUT i have spark when i walk my bike FAST with the spark plug against the head

NOTE:1. Im really good with a multi meter so i know the settings where accurate. 2. the bike is getting gas and has good compression. timing is good also

Please help. i

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
car addict, do you have an ignition tester? (plugwire toucher blinker pen for lack of better laymans term)

try one of those on your wire.

it should blink.

duh. anyway i forgot the answer to your question, something that is quite common, its called spark plug compression failure, what appears good on the outside (the good ol ground on the head and look for blue) sometimes is alot different on the inside. Try a replacement spark plug like an NGK B6HS (or you can try a B5HS if you live up north more in canada, it is a hotter spark)

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
i dont have an ignition tester. but i do :) have a nice ngk bp5hs, has been working great till today. plug looks good, just wet. and what bout my cdi having wrong readings?

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
that i dont know i bet that its junk. CDI systems are sealed... if it reads wrong its probley done. someone else might broaden on this