Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here it is, winter again and time to start a new project. The same guy who sold me the Nirve Switchblade last year had two and he wanted to get rid of them. He called me and offered me another deal and I couldn't pass it up. I'd been saving some bucks to start another bike but the day I brought this new Switchblade home I had two bad things happen. My Ford Ranger developed a fuel injection problem and............my computer died.

I can't be without a vehicle or a computer so most of my bike fund is gone so don't expect this project to go at the pace the Captian America build went. On top of that, it's Christmas time and that means presents for the wife. That certainly takes priority over a motorbike. This might be a long winter.

Here's what I have to start with. A brand new Nirve Switchblade. At least it's a lot prettier than my first one which was up-chuck greenish gold. This one is gold metalflake on black. Actually a very good looking bike.

I'll let you know when the work begins but it might be a while until my checking account recovers from the recent shocks.

Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a great idea... Give your wife the bike for a present! laff
Norm,
That would make me happy but probably not her. I built the blue Jagaur for her but I was never able to get her to even sit on it, let alone ride it. I finally sold it to a friend.
I envy you guys with wives and girlfriends who share this hobby with you.

Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
On top of that, it's Christmas time and that means presents for the wife. That certainly takes priority over a motorbike. This might be a long winter.
It'll be a lot longer and way colder if you don't get her something sweet/nice...

Sucks about your ride and your comp, I hope you were able to salvage some data off it...

Think of you downtime as "research time", to look up more on Billy bike.

I actually saw a great set of forks LabRat was showing me, the wc1 whizzers,
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=5469

they're inverted style, triple trees. He was saying they only ran him about $140 after shipping, which is good compared to monarch stage 2's. The K10's are nice and cheap, but not inverted.

So yea, just some well wishes and some food for thought. Hope you didn't lose Pete's addy, and hope you'll be hearing from him soon.

Things could be worse, keep the wife happy, or they will be :p

edit- She wouldn't even sit on it? That's cold...

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice seeing the two bikes together as a kind of before and after for Captain America. What are you seeing for this one? Have you settled on anything yet? Money always slows me down often to a total stop on my projects, which isn't a bad thing as it gives more time for 'creative staring' while you wait for leaves to sprout on the money tree. I know you'll have fun and in the end a bike we go "WOW" for.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Silver,
My initial idea was to do the 'Billy Bike' Dennis Hopper's ride in the movie but as I sit here and 'engineer', or as you would say, Creative Stare' at this bike, I see some other potential.
First I need to see if there's any way I can match that gold metalflake/black paint job that came on it. If so, I'm thinking or the 'Billy Bike' in a different color scheme. Can you imagine a fuel tank with a black background and gold flames? I'd do the seat the same as the other bike but with no backrest/sissy bar. Just the square stitch patteren with the chrome buttons. I have time and the longer I sit and 'engineer' or "creative stare" at it the more ideas I come up with. Maybe this delay in the project is a blessing in disguise. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maybe 4 stroke this time??????
Nope, sorry. I've yet to see a 4 stroke that looks as good in a frame as the little 2 strokers do. And I've had very good luck with the HTs and they have always served me well. I have given some thought to a Morini or a clone. I have some time to think about it and look around for a good deal. I'll keep you posted. :)

Tom

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Tom- Ive never seen the captain america build thread but im gonna search it now cause that is a seriously cool bike and that seat way too cool. I can relate to waiting for the post holiday checkbook to free up ive got a 50 Panther frame some felt forks and a set of moped hubs waiting for some attention- GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD

TGM2054

Mar 22, 2012
Iowa
I almost bought one of those, but I got a Micargi Mustang instead. Bad thing was I liked the forks on the Switchblade so much, I ordered a set with the intent of putting them on the Mustang,, the steerer tube is too big on the forks. Oh well.
Judging by your other builds,thats going to be a neat bike when your done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The Christmas holiday is passed, all of the family from out of town has gone home and I finally got a chance to work on the new bike. I decided to start with something easy while I wait for a few parts I've ordered to arrive.

I used the templates from the Captain America build and fabricated the headlight brackets. Wanting something a little different I flipped them upside down and mounted them that way.

As for a paint job, I'm going to cop out on the Billy Bike concept and use the original Nirve black and gold metalflake idea. I found out my niece is close friends with a custom painter who said he can match the paint. He said the metalflake is in the clearcoat so all I need to do is paint a gloss black base coat and he'll mix the gold metalflake clear for me to spray from my air brush.

The engine, another 2 stroker, but a special one, is waiting for me at Dax and a couple of other things I'll need then it'll be time to start some serious work.
I'll keep you posted.

The headlight was just to get me in the mood to build, and it did. I'm stoked.

Tom

EDIT: Sorry. Just got a new computer and for some reason I can't post photos. I'll find out what the problem is and get them up later.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
You're off to another flying start with the headlight mounts. The paint will be perfect! You did a tribute bike with the Captain America. This one is telling you how it wants to be made, what it wants to look like. Awesome! Consider a Jacobso 5 horse 2 stroke. Compact, American made and different. See what Ricksrides is doing with the Pennysworth build and what he is doing with a Jacobson for Fateddy's Indian tadpole. The engine came with a pull start, but Rick has come up with some kind of pedal start for it and done away with shrouding, etc. It has needle bearings, reed valve carb and is well made. Something to think about anyway, although it sounds like you have an engine in hand. Have fun...
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Silverbear,
You're absolutely right. This bike has indeed been talking to me. It has a personality that is beginning to emerge and ideas are sprouting every day. I can see the seat in my mind's eye, the handlebar risers (dogbones) and how the tank should look.
I have the low sissy bar and the exhaust pipe material and lots of free time to work. My wife got me a new audio book for Christmas, 25 discs which should give me a few hours of entertainment while I work.
I'll keep after it and keep you posted.

Tom

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's some really nice craftsmanship on the headlight brackets Tom. I've had my eye on Switchblades for a quite a while now. I think it's only a matter of time.

I'm 100% with you about the china girl motors. Nothing looks better in a bicycle frame. All the four strokes either look like a suitcase, of someone tried to stuff a lawn mower in there.

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Well, so much for the Billy Bike... theres always next winter :)
I really like that gold matalflake, and your idea on the tank/paint sounds very cool. I know what you mean about how it's like they start tellin ya what they want and they sure as he ll will let ya know when you add something that don't work... like a little kid sayin i'm not wearin that!!!

Lookin good so far... keep it up

Braddo

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
2Door I just went through your other builds post and dude.. that is one of the best builds ive seen yet.. can't wait to watch this one in progress.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The headlight is elegant. Perfect. As I recall from your American thread you got that light housing as a commercial track light or something like that. Say again. And what are you using inside to throw light?
SB