The Russian engines D-4,D-5,D-6,D-8. History.

GoldenMotor.com

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
I will tell about engines of the Russian manufacture which use in Russia for installation on a motor-bicycle. These are engines D-4, D-5, D-6, D-8, at present, they are not made. The factory which made engines is called ,,Krasniy oktyabr".
Them exhausted since 1957, till 1990... So D-4 and D-5 were similar against each other.
These engines did not have a possibility to connect flashlights on a bicycle...
The maintenance manual, here it is possible to see pictures http://www.moped.ee/manual/d4-57L.pdf

And here it is possible to see comparison of the Russian engine and Chinese...

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryAssburger

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
The following engine D-8 and D-8э, almost differed nothing from D-6, except an electricity, they began to develop even more powerfully a current for headlights.
There was an ignition coil, and other muffler...
D-8 - 6 volt.
D-8e - 12 volt
The maintenance manual http://www.moped.ee/manual/d8e.pdf

It is my engine of 1990, without run, in an original packing.

In the disassembled condition

It is a lot of still motor-bicycles remains with such engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryAssburger

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Thanks for that Dagger. Any more information that you have to share will be welcomed by me at least. If you can find a camera pictures of your area would be nice also.

Here's my dog. DSC01202.JPG

Bob K

Mar 5, 2009
Insanediego
Dagger,
This is truly a historical post. The heritage to the "modern"
chinese "happy time" engine is now established.
thank you.

Bob K

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
It is a little more statistics from history of the Russian engine.

1956 - Release small-displacement (to 50сс) series engines «D»;
1959 - the Beginning of manufacture of small engines to Borovichi;
1974 - It is exhausted 5-milionnyj the series engine «D»;
1982 - It is exhausted 8-milionnyj the series engine «D».

And who knows, how many makes engines China?

Reactions: Testname111

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I was sure that the china engine. like everything else made in china. was a knock off of someones else's engine that they knew would work. I don't think they spend much on research and development.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
While I see similarities between the two the Chinese engine is not really a copy. The intake on the Russian engine for one thing is way different and when the Chinese copy something they don't often bother to re-engineer it much. There have been a few posts on the boards by folks with the Russian engines and they report that they are in fact superior in every way IIRC.

Speaking of copies has anyone ever noted the similarities between the six cyl in early Toyota Landcruisers and sixes of the 40's from the states? Toyota Land Cruiser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
Norman I am glad that my information is interesting to you and a forum...

Jim Спасибо! Thanks!
It is very pleasant to see Russian words!
Yes, on quality of manufacturing the Russian (USSR) the engine, much more surpasses Chinese because it was made at the enterprise which exhausted accessories for military aircraft.
But the engine design has become outdated, between 1956 and 2009 too a wide interval.
But people, such as I, till now go for a drive on motor-bicycles with engines D, because at it the big resource... I very much regret that the factory has stopped manufacture of these s.

Now and to the Russian fans of motor-bicycles it is necessary to buy the Chinese Kits . At us them name КД (Китай+"Д") China+engine "D"..

Reactions: Testname111

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
While I see similarities between the two the Chinese engine is not really a copy. The intake on the Russian engine for one thing is way different and when the Chinese copy something they don't often bother to re-engineer it much.

Here you are right, there are many differences, an admission, the ignition system and many other things. But the idea remains Russian.)))

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Talking about similarities...

When I was a child, I had some Russian model airplane engines (about 1-5 cc). Those engines looked similar to the D4 (same fin shape) and worked well, but I could not get spare parts.

Thanky you for the information

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dagger, you should send some of your pics to Fairacing. He does a windows movie maker thing thats really great then posts em on youtube. Your builds would be an awesome addition. Don't know if you have seen it but here is the link; http://motorbicycling.com/f15/motorbicycling-com-montage-6360.html

Spasibo, nostrovia!

(I worked in the Ukraine years back in my well spent youth)((I applaud your English. 2 very different languages and difficult to learn the other))

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Here you are right, there are many differences, an admission, the ignition system and many other things. But the idea remains Russian.)))
The D engines are really good and as you say it is a shame they no longer manufacture them. I am sure that they could be made again though and perhaps it will be necessary to do so there in the future?

Thanks for the video's. Here is one of my home town. YouTube - Mall MABness 12:05:08 The Beginning

Dagger

Mar 13, 2009
Russia Moscow
Re: The Russian engines D-4,D-5,D-6,-8. History.

FlyJSH

I still had such engines MARZ, МК-17, КМД-2,5. Engines has bought, and model and has not made.

Dan

Yes, I saw video Fairacing , very interesting. I will necessarily send the pictures of Fairacing...

It will be pleasant to me to see the motor-bicycles together with yours.

Thanks for council.

mabman

To engines of series "D", there was an alternative. But this engine and did not begin to make. I will tell next time about it.
Has looked your video.
Cool! the Bicycle very interesting!