New user, new project.

GoldenMotor.com

cdfeto

Jul 7, 2009
new zealand
Hey guys. Just found this site, read through most of the intros and here's my story/project, and of course, my queries:

I'm planing on building up a motorized bike, I have enough experience with bicycles, engines, and basic engineering to be able to do this but need the knowledge gained from your experience. I am planing on using a chainsaw engine as opposed to a kit for the quality/performance side and because of the price.

What would you recommend, a MTB or road frame? Size that fits me as a push bike, or smaller?
What size wheels? I am going to need more accelertion, smaller wheels, or speed, bigger wheels?
What size engine would be good (im 75kg), 30cc, 50cc, bigger?

Anything else that you think might be helpful would be great, thanks in advance.

cheers

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
what do you want out of the ride? speed, utility, towing
how big are you? or what will the load be on the bike be
do you want a practical bike or a show?
do you want to be able to shift gears?
what kind of range do you want?
what is your budget?

I know when I first thought about a motorized bike, I did think it was a simple thing and would be easy. Man was I wrong! You end up engineering your own special purpose vehicle.

Good Luck,
Pat Jr.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the forum.
I'll try to help and others will jump in too.

What would you recommend, a MTB or road frame?
MTB.

Size that fits me as a push bike, or smaller? You may still want/need to pedal, so it's best to ride what is most comfortable as a "regular bicycle".

What size wheels? I am going to need more accelertion, smaller wheels, or speed, bigger wheels? Usually, 26" wheels are fine. You can change the gearing a number of ways.

What size engine would be good (im 75kg), 30cc, 50cc, bigger? Stay under 50cc to be legal in many states.

Anything else that you think might be helpful would be great, thanks in advance. Look in the DIY forum for the most help and ideas for the type of bike you are interested in.

cheers

cdfeto

Jul 7, 2009
new zealand
how big are you? or what will the load be on the bike be as i said 75 kg
do you want a practical bike or a show? i just want to ****ing ride it for now
do you want to be able to shift gears? no
what kind of range do you want? reasonable range?
what is your budget? cheap!

As I said, im not oo worried about looks, gears or anything like that at this stage as i will be able to modify that. I just want to know, if in your experience ... you've had trouble with the centri clutch on the chainsaw engines, or if you needed a certain cc rating for it to be powerfull enough to get you up hills.