Huffy Cranbrook or Schwinn Jaguar

GoldenMotor.com

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
Jim,
Please enter my vote for the Jaguar.
You and Ronny Odell might collaborate on a more standardized mounting system for popular stock bikes. His billet mount reminded me of yours. Both sorely needed as a "successful" kit.
Seen the Ridley version??
Many Kulana Moondog owners would like your product. Perhaps the recently extinct bike will come back with a new name.
I'd love billet mounts for my Schwinn alum-comp mountain bike. Been a good ride for me. Oversized oval front tube. Suggestions?
PLEASE keep the kit concept moving!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In fairness, I do have a kit on an older Cranboob, and the welds are passable. I haven't broken it....yet.

You may take that as a vote for the 'boob or not, just to be complicated....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
milegajo,

Both the Cranbrook and the Jaguar are similar to the bike in your photo! The problem is that, similar may not cut it as far as a pefect fit is concerned. After I make the kit, I will buy bikes that are similar and see what needs to be tweaked. It will take tme, but I think eventually I will have a kit that will be for frame styles and not a specific brand/model. The beach cruiser frames are similar in appearance, and it may be determined that it's more than appearance, and they are in fact very close to each other geometry-wise.

Ultimately I may have a cruiser kit, a mountain bike kit...etc.

Can I get your bike here in the U.S.? If not, you will need to ship me one so I can make a kit for the European market. I'm sure I will have no problem selling the bike once finished, so that you won't be out the cost of the bike or shipping.

Here are the photos of the bikes we're talking about...The Schwinn Jaguar is the one on the right with the rear 7-speed gearset.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for explaining it to me Jim. I vote for the Jaguar because it has gears and the rider could upgrade to a shifter kit later on.

squire

Nov 22, 2008
tampa
im not sure about this, but i was had a chance to looks at a fews huffy and shwinns at the local mart and i was blown away on the welds on the huffy, very very poor.. im not sure about the huffy your talking about but the one ive seen i would be scared to take that thing above 10 mph..... but the shwinn did have very solid looking welds..i was looking at these bike for my purchase also, but went with a bike from a LBS it was a DB della cruze. very please, good luck

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
im not sure about this, but i was had a chance to looks at a few huffy at the local mart and i blown away on the welds on these bikes, very very poor.. im not sure about the huffy your talking about but the one ive seen i would be scared to take that thing above 10 mph..... but the huffy did have very solid looking welds..i was looking at these bike for my purchase also, but went with a bike from a LBS it was a DB della cruze. very please, good luck
Squire please re-read your post and revise it...it is confusing...I think you meant to mention the Jaguar in here somewhere? :confused:

Jim

JoeJ

Jul 22, 2008
Winston Salem NC
Hey Jim , You know I've got a Jag, Cost me 149 @ Target in july; The reason I choose to go with it is that the quality level was alot better than any other huffy in that catagory. More bang for a little more $....Shimano equiped,alloy rims&gooseneck excelent brakes and no grinding the sprocket to fit over coaster brake....Old School, But the seven speed is what sold me....but why such a big diff in price on the kit? The Huffs where always the least expensive bike....Put one on Lay away for me would ya. lol

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hey Jim , You know I've got a Jag, Cost me 149 @ Target in july; The reason I choose to go with it is that the quality level was alot better than any other huffy in that catagory. More bang for a little more $....Shimano equiped,alloy rims&gooseneck excelent brakes and no grinding the sprocket to fit over coaster brake....Old School, But the seven speed is what sold me....but why such a big diff in price on the kit? The Huffs where always the least expensive bike....Put one on Lay away for me would ya. lol
Joe,

I'll definitely set a aside a kit for you! You wrote "but why such a big diff in price on the kit?" As usual I'm missing something here...I haven't even discussed price?

Jim

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
The Cranbrook Wallyworld sells is cheaped down. You can buy it online for $80. You can get the good one from Huffy for $140. My cheap one lost its flimsy fender fork bracket, fender rotated, rear strut wrapped, rim collapsed, and I went down hard on my right shoulder and sprung the top rib for ~6 mos. The WW ones at least are stainless. The Huffy chrome that rusts. It has a heavier wire strut also.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, not to jump the gun,so to speak. What size sprockets are you thinking of offering?
Actually I'm going to do a new style jackshaft set-up...so the gearing will be what-ever you have available on the pedal side.

The clam shell sprocket adapter and sprocket worked well on the last build, but why bother when everything is already incorporated into the pedal side. The separate chain, sprocket, and tensioner are just more to have to fiddle with as far as maintenance. It will be cheaper to make a jackshaft into the rear motor mounts as opposed to making a clam shell, sprocket, and tensioner.

I didn't want to put this out there initially because I want an honest opinion on the bikes. The jackshaft I have designed will work fine with the Cranbrook...I'm doing it this way as a matter of practicality not just for the ability to be able to shift the deraileur.

Jim

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
Jim,
Headed off to the machine shops to find a craftsman to build billet mounts for my Kulana, and Schwinn alum/comp mountain bike. Will not drill into any frame. Can't wait for the interest to accumulate by the end of January. Sure hope you put a kit together for the Jaguar or similar cruiser. You will have my business as soon as kits are ready.
Also hope you will experiment with rubber mounts, possibly combined with the snug billet style.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim,
Headed off to the machine shops to find a craftsman to build billet mounts for my Kulana, and Schwinn alum/comp mountain bike. Will not drill into any frame. Can't wait for the interest to accumulate by the end of January. Sure hope you put a kit together for the Jaguar or similar cruiser. You will have my business as soon as kits are ready.
Also hope you will experiment with rubber mounts, possibly combined with the snug billet style.
Hill of beans,

Good morning.

Have a look at this thread http://motorbicycling.com/f3/new-build-cool-stuff-5194.html. It did this bike just before Christmas for a customer. It worked out so well that I figured I would make a kit for a specific bike. If you are going to go to a machine shop, I would print out the photos of the rubber isolated engine mounts that I designed. It will give them a head start for thier own design. I posted photos of this build as I was doing it, so you'll have to look through the pages to see everything.

Jim