Will an 80cc motor fit this bike

GoldenMotor.com

Kinna87

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
I've just lost my drivers license and am in desperate need of a cheap bike n put a motor it coz I ain't to keen on pedaling that distance everyday. I'm wondering if this cheapy will do.
image.jpg
Cyclops bike featuring a lightweight alloy frame, hyper double wall high performance alloy rims, 18 speed shimano shifting system, Shimano front and rear derailleurs, easy adjust quick release seat, KMC chain + 3PCE crank.

Funny to say this, I'm gettin more and more excited to get on a bike more than driving my car.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Do a search on this form for "Engine Template". You should be able to find a printable version of an engine template. This template does NOT show the carburator or the spark plug so be sure to take those into account for sizing. Print out the template and compare it to the bicycle frame. That's the easiest way to check for fit.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Just from eyeballing the picture, I would say no. It might fit if you heavily angle the motor, but then you have to use a custom intake manifold to get the carb at the right angle. And the wide front downtube might give you issues too. Too many headaches right out of the gate for a new build, in my opinion.

I would just start with a bike that has a larger center triangle and avoid the headaches. An older but good quality steel mountain bike will likely be higher quality and more reliable than a newer cheap aluminum mountain bike. You can always add a front fork with shocks if you find an older bike you like that does not have one.

Good luck!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just from eyeballing the picture, I would say no. It might fit if you heavily angle the motor, but then you have to use a custom intake manifold to get the carb at the right angle. And the wide front downtube might give you issues too. Too many headaches right out of the gate for a new build, in my opinion.

I would just start with a bike that has a larger center triangle and avoid the headaches. An older but good quality steel mountain bike will likely be higher quality and more reliable than a newer cheap aluminum mountain bike. You can always add a front fork with shocks if you find an older bike you like that does not have one.

Good luck!
I agree completely, an older mountain bike or one of the multi speed cruisers would probably be best choice and will require much less mounting mods and will have none of the clearance issues that will be had with that type frame, I bought a bike myself thinking it would make a good build, it was a bad choice and the bike has been sitting in shop for two years, walmart has some Schwinn multi speed cruisers that have v brakes and nice wheels that would be a good choice.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto and ditto. Bad choice, especially for a first build. That will take some custom work and fabrication even if the engine will fit in the frame. Keep looking for a better candidate bike. You'll be time and money ahead and avoid the hassles of trying to motorize that thing.

If you're not set on going with an in-frame engine you could consider a rack mount friction or chain drive. That would simplify things for you.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would also suggest you stick with a steel frame. You can easily tack weld the tensioner to keep it out of the spokes and don't have to worry about cracking as much.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Just tooling around with the SolidWorks design environment this week...specifically with using images to create sketches...seemed like a good exersize. Looks like the engine should fit fine. Just be sure that the engine you get has a wide-mount. You MAY want to get an offset carb intake too. Also, make sure it's a slant-head so the spark fits under the top-tube.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not to be critical here but the size of the ht engine in relation to the bike is not correct, the chain guard on the cranks shows to be almost as big as the engine which is a bit off, again its a nice bike and can be motorized with the right fabrication, tools, parts and skill, but unless you choose to go with a friction or rack mount as Tom has mentioned you will have what will likely be a much bigger project than you may want for your first build.

Some will not agree with what I am about to say here and thats fine but many of us have proven it to be a good route for a first build and one that can be modified and improved as you learn more and have the funds to do so.

HUFFY CRANBROOK or any variant, hub and all bearings need to be cleaned and grease with high quality grease, put you a wode comfortable C9 cloud nine seat on it, maybe some 26x1.95 smooth rolling tires, a front calper brake and you will have an excellent bike for the first build that you can build on and learn all the reliability tricks on.
Some think you must have a high dollar bike for it to last and be relation able, simple fact is that is bunk.... nothing wrong with the high end bikes if one can afford them and thats what they want, but for most average builds just a well put together middle of the road or even bottom of the road will do just fine and they are cheap to maintain because there are so many donors out there.

Just my $0.02

Peace, map
.wee.