$1,000 motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My race bike initially cost me $1,200 and was ready for the track. I now have over $2,000 wrapped up in it (which includes 2 wheelsets). If you added my labor costs, that would make my bike priceless, no joke.

.wee.

Last edited:

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I have invested about $1000 into my Phantom Felt.

HS Engine kit with 4G tanny and ugraded bearing: $420

Felt Slant: $350

Worksman Sprocket adapter: $78

Billet Crank: $65

Phantom Exhuast: $125

Lock: $4 Bell lock from swap meet XD

Simple yet reliable and fun!

CubanIngenuity

Jun 29, 2012
Miami
I've spent: $30 on beach cruiser, $150 on the kit, $35 for speed carb upgrade, and $20 on a double kickstand and $20 for a tensioner with four bolts.

Totaling out to: $255 for my first motorized bike. If you have the patience you can make a really good motor-bike for $1000.

drn2

P.S. need a smiley with the Cuban flag.

Last edited:

BallSack

Jun 26, 2012
Washington
Any Bicycle: $100-$250

Japan made Engine 33-50cc $150-$200

My own custom mount kit: $250

Custom gripshifter twist throttle with custom wires: $26

.105 ga spoked back wheel: $50

Springer Fork: $30

Custom Grips: $15

Front Brakes w Brake Lever: $20

Headlight: $10

Kill Switch: $9

Mirror: $10

Killer Bike Lock: $20

Grade 8 Bolts: $10

That is $900 and a head turning, turnkey, workhorse plus $100 to me.

I used the worst case senario, if I used the best case it would be $710 with $290 going to me.

zpt

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
200- schwinn drifter sears,300- motor and sprocket adapter,pirate cycles,45- rear rack,parts bike, 35- schwinn 6 v dyna lights,85- chrome rear dump exhaust ,bgf.30- rear view mirrors,ebay,25- spedometer,ebay. 15- air horn,ebay. 15- engine paint ,napa.10-decals,ebay 5-valve caps ebay, 3- spark plug napa, free 7mm sparkplug wire.768 the rest would be labor.232 not bad for day or so work and getting parts together.most prices included shipping.you may not get the same results.peace

1flyingfool

May 25, 2011
Yelm
Probable a dumb question, but could some one explain "double wall rear wheel" or just doubled walled wheel? I have two tires,one inside the other but,well ????????double wall rear wheel,just baffles me. Thanks

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Interesting thread and a worthy goal. I tried to go through my costed bill of materials for my build to get the price down to $1K and I had to delete everything that would make it road legal in Michigan. No headlight, taillight, brake lights, etc. Things like lights, batteries, chargers, and all that really rack up a tab! Basically it's a bike, motor and good brakes. The Phantom Bikes Gray Ghost and the Ridley 1903 are both around $2500 and neither are road legal.

$2000 and two cases (one Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout and one Lion Stout) and I would be comfortable knowing I was putting a friend on the road with a reliable ride. Build first, beer later....

In the "spirit" of the thread:

Felt Cruiser (any Al frame) can be found at local shops, eBay or CL for about $350 - $450 average about $400 (I paid less so I know it's possible)
Ridley Model 48 Kit $650 http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/motorbike/engine_48.htm
Sturmey Archer Drum Brake eBay $80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sturmey-Arc...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b07d1760
Bike shop wheel rebuild labor $40

Over budget but then the Ridley is over priced. Maybe they'll work with you on that but: $1170, call it $1200ish. Lots of room for those in the know of with real skills to save money. Not road legal. Beer won't be cheap either!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is a good thread. It offers beginners insight about what the costs really are to build a reliable MB.

For $1000 anyone should be able to build a dependable MB, but $350, no. That doesn't mean you can't build a $350 MB, and upgrade the components over time. But you'll probably be close to $1000 by the time you reach a level of dependability where you can ride all day without worrying about breaking down 20 miles from home.

Personally I wouldn't want an expensive bicycle as a base for a MB, because I like to choose my own components. When choosing a new bicycle I'm mostly just looking at the frame. It has to have the look I want. Just about everything else is irrelevant to me, because I'm probably going to change it anyway.

There's only 5 parts left on my bike that are original. The frame, seat post, seat post clamp, rear fender, and peddle chain. If you were to duplicate my bike, it would cost right at $1000.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Started with a $25 Huffy Cranbrook from Craigslist and spent around $800 for:

- BGF RB80
- Beehive springer front end
- New front and rear 12 gauge spoked wheels
- Pirate Cycles rear hub adapter and 36 tooth sprocket
- Kip Harley layback seat post
- Puch 70cc high compression head
- Jaguar CDI
- Speed Demon exhaust
- SBP head and exhaust gaskets, petcock, NGK B6HS plug, stud kit, bolt kit, HD air filter, fuel filter
- Crowe center stand
- Skipu spring loaded chain tensioner
- Sturmey Archer 90mm front drum brake (still in the box, not installed yet)

That setup provided a nice ride with good torque and was pretty comfortable up to about 35. Fastest run was at 39.4 MPH on a flat stretch, but she was screaming in pain, lol.

So basically what I had left stock was the frame, seat, crank, handlebars and neck.

Two weeks ago, after about 300 miles on the motor, I found hairline cracks in the frame at the left seatpost/cantilever weld and where the top tube and headtube meet.

So had I chosen a $200 frame I would be right at the $1,000 mark with a well running bike.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Started with a $25 Huffy Cranbrook from Craigslist and spent around $800 for:

- BGF RB80
- Beehive springer front end
- New front and rear 12 gauge spoked wheels
- Pirate Cycles rear hub adapter and 36 tooth sprocket
- Kip Harley layback seat post
- Puch 70cc high compression head
- Jaguar CDI
- Speed Demon exhaust
- SBP head and exhaust gaskets, petcock, NGK B6HS plug, stud kit, bolt kit, HD air filter, fuel filter
- Crowe center stand
- Skipu spring loaded chain tensioner
- Sturmey Archer 90mm front drum brake (still in the box, not installed yet)

That setup provided a nice ride with good torque and was pretty comfortable up to about 35. Fastest run was at 39.4 MPH on a flat stretch, but she was screaming in pain, lol.

So basically what I had left stock was the frame, seat, crank, handlebars and neck.

Two weeks ago, after about 300 miles on the motor, I found hairline cracks in the frame at the left seatpost/cantilever weld and where the top tube and headtube meet.

So had I chosen a $200 frame I would be right at the $1,000 mark with a well running bike.
Yet another sad Cranbroke story......good for the Huffy toss!

Sorry to hear this, but it just reinforces the importance of a good foundation to build on, ie. a better quality frame.

dnut