Puke, Pooch, Puck, Putch?

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
How do you pronounce Puch, as in Puch head?

Not that I really care, it's just one of those things that drive me nuts.
Not that I am terribly interested in getting a Puch head, I just come across the Puch word so many times and I wonder how I am supposed to pronounce it (Puch).

(Perhaps I am not alone here?)

Look at that Puch in the window!
I think I'm gonna Puch!
He hit the Puch into the net!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have always been told it is pronounced "push". However, my son says they pronounce it as Bikeguy Joe said (Pook) in many parts of the fatherland.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A few years ago I went to a local lawnmower shop looking for a part for an old Sachs two stroke lawn mower. The guy behind the counter never heard of Sachs before. He started getting a little pissy with me and called up his boss on the phone just to see if I was messing with him. His boss straightened that one out really quick!

Now to get to the point, How does one pronounce Sachs?
I was taught that is like "socks".
The socks on your feet.
Has anyone here heard any differently?

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
A few years ago I went to a local lawnmower shop looking for a part for an old Sachs two stroke lawn mower. The guy behind the counter never heard of Sachs before. He started getting a little pissy with me and called up his boss on the phone just to see if I was messing with him. His boss straightened that one out really quick!

Now to get to the point, How does one pronounce Sachs?
I was taught that is like "socks".
The socks on your feet.
Has anyone here heard any differently?
Should be pronounced "socks". The "A" in "Sachs" is like the "A" in "Drama" or "rama lama ding dong". The "ch" in "Sachs" is pronounced like a "k" if you're from most of Germany, or if you're from Bavaria or parts of the south (as my family was) the sound it makes is part way between a hard "K" and hacking up a hairball.
Now the "u" in Puch: I've never seen it with umlauts (i.e. ü) so I have to assume it would sound like "pook" and rhyme with "look". That's as much as I know.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Wow, thanks for posting this! I had always assumed it was pronounced pyoo-ch. Why? I have no idea... That is probably how one of the all-knowing super cool teens riding one pronounced it when I was 12, lol.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I got the pronunciation from an old ad that says "It rhymes with book".

Just so you know I am not bs-ing anyone. :)

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
You said it rhymes with "look"
Then you said it rhymes with "book"
I guess proper rhyming's all it took
to get the proper sound for Puch.

Ok, guess I'm not a poet. Back to my day job.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, do you drive a Porsh...or a Porsh-a? :)
There's a company that makes air conditioning filters; Koch. No, it ain't 'cotch' Rhymes with 'book'.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, I really enjoy threads like this.

I've always said "push" and elongated the U sort of. No idea if that is right.