Deciding on a 2 stroke kit

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Hi guys im new to motor bikes and i would just like everyones help.
My bike will most likely be an old diamondback Mountainbike in good shape with 26 inch wheels medium-large frame. Im planning on using a 2 stroke for simplicity and money. So im just wondering what the best kit will be for about $200. Btw im limited to 48cc because i live in phoenix.
Thx everyone
dnut

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Well as has been said before they are pretty much hit and miss. I, like a lot of people, would suggest you buy one from a vendor that has a good warranty. (Check out the site sponsors.)

I would check out thatsdax, if you really need a 48cc they would be called f50s.

You could almost certainly get away with having a 66cc engine if you are a bigger guy and need more torque (or are pulling lots a cargo) They really don't go much faster at stock gearing and they can really make a difference going up a hill.

Last thing would be to make sure that the engine fits in the bike before you buy the engine. If it doesn't and you don't have the option of getting another bike then it would be time to look at other options.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i like pirate cycles due to my being closer to the east coast,but the motor i bought from them was dropped shipped from the west coast. any way i think you would be fine with the pk 80 66cc silver motor with upgraded hardware,no one is going to tear it down and physicaly check displacment unless your were involved in a manslaughter accident.any way i also have bought motor from bgf with no issues.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Thanks for the quik replies. Im not worried about getting a 66cc i only weigh 125lbs. IS there realy any dufference in all of the engine kits?

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
in my opinion,i think you should get 66cc,no one will be able to tell the difference.
thatsdax is recommended by some for his costumer service and his ability to speak English.
(my engine is from him)
but say if you buy from boygofast ebay seller,some people have very bad experience and others not so bad.but he is much cheaper.as far as i know,all the 2 stroke engines are the same no matter who they are from.so its all up to you.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Darn now you got me thinkng... If i go with boygofast or ebay i can get a 66cc kit for 160 but i have to risk it.
And diplacement isnt stamped on the engine?

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
it wasnt stamped on mine.some of the engines have a sticker on them,im not shure if its on the sticker but that can be easily removed. maybe someone with experience with boygofast will reply.i think the boygofast engine would be fine,if there are any pieces missing or anything you could file a dispute with paypal.i think its kind of a risk.
and then youd have to wait a while but for me it was kind of hard to decide too,went with dax chinese engine,pretty crappy but thats how they all are and im not shure if boygofast is any better or worse.ANYWAYS
when you decide this forum will help you alot to put everything together.

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i dont agree with they are all the same. same in what way all 2 cycle china motors.i have a z-80 from bgf-, pk 80 pirate cycles-,grubee starfire gt 3. all good motors but all a little dif. in displacment and in parts.head from gt wont interchange with pk etc. the pk also came with upgraded hardware also a plus.gt ran the small bike chain had to find sprocket to fit motor shaft and the 415 chain. yes they are all china motors but no,not all the same.for easy intallation and good quality go with the pk-80 silver upgraded hardware and the sproket adapter,less headache, from pirate or use the factory rag joint if money is tight.

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
i dont agree with they are all the same. same in what way all 2 cycle china motors.i have a z-80 from bgf-, pk 80 pirate cycles-,grubee starfire gt 3. all good motors but all a little dif. in displacment and in parts.head from gt wont interchange with pk etc. the pk also came with upgraded hardware also a plus.gt ran the small bike chain had to find sprocket to fit motor shaft and the 415 chain. yes they are all china motors but no,not all the same.for easy intallation and good quality go with the pk-80 silver upgraded hardware and the sproket adapter,less headache, from pirate or use the factory rag joint if money is tight.
ah my bad then,then you had a good expirience with bgf?

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
No he bought from pirate cycles. I was about to recommend them also. It is cheaper then the dax engine kit and probable better. The down side for you is that it is 66cc but you really shouldn't worry about it. I really would recommend buying from either pirate, or dax partially because of the service but also it is good to support at least an american company. They both are great and anytime I had a problem they both fixed it.

One time when I first started off I installed the throttle cable backwards and ended up destroying it. Don't even ask how. Duane from dax shipped me a new one (free) and I literally had it in my hands two days later.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
bgf is just a dealer the motor is what i had no probs with,but i had no probs with him either,now having said that others have had probs with him and the motor,but he also sales more than one motor.my point is not all these motors are the same and its kind of like you get what you pay for. your best bet is to deal with a vendor on this site they will gen. stand behind the product they sell.

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
you dont always get what you pay for,sometime you get less.lol
i see that you are right about the engines,but i doubt there is that much of a difference between them right?
its not like one can go alot faster right?

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the thing is, none of these vendors manufacture the engines....they are just drop shippers.
It's a crap shoot no matter who you buy from, but some vendors offer customer service and a warranty, while others don't. you will pay for the warranty and customer service by paying a higher price for the same engine kit that you can buy from (for example) e-bay. I have bought 4 engine kits off e-bay all from the same vendor over a 3 year period and every one of them were fine (and still are to this day).
if a warranty and customer service is something that you think you need, then spend the extra $$ and buy from one of the vendors who offers those things.

I have both the 66 cc. and the 48 c.c. engines right now.
I can tell you that the 66 will vibrate more than the 48, but the 66 has a little more bottom end torque. My 48 c.c. is actually faster on the top end than my 66 (and both bikes are set up the same, with the same gearing). the 48 seems to rev higher than the 66, but the 66 has more low end torque for better take off.
I ride my bikes like motorcycles, and i never pedal them, i just take off from a stop using the clutch like a motorcycle.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
you dont always get what you pay for,sometime you get less.lol
i see that you are right about the engines,but i doubt there is that much of a difference between them right?
its not like one can go alot faster right?
no the china 2 strokes are all the same basic design, but some may have a few internal differences that don't make any performance differences.
it all dpends on what you mean by "fast".
you can greatly alter the speed of any bike just by changing the rear sprocket.
I bigger sprocket will give you more low end (for climbing hills) but not much top end speed. a smaller rear sprocket will give you more top end, but you will lose low end torque.
you can make a weak engine on any bike go 50 mph with the right gearing..but getting to 50 mph might take a long time.
do you want all out top speed with no concern on how long it takes you to reach that top speed?
or do you want your bike to accelerate quickly and top out really soon?
normally the stock rear sprocket that comes with these engine kits is a 44 tooth (which is geared to go on a 26" wheel). you can drop to a 41 tooth and get a tiny bit more top speed. you can drop to a 36 tooth and get quite a bit more top speed (but again, the low end torque at take off will suffer).
now, wheel and tire size also has a lot to do with speed (beacuse the wheel and tire diameter, will affect the gear ratio). a taller wheel and tire will give more top end, while a shorter wheel and tire will give more bottom end.
for example, On my oc.c. chopper the rear wheel is 20" but the tire is 24" tall. (tops out at @ 32 mph)
now, the same set up with a 21" tall tire will actually be slower on the top end.
it can get confusing, but changing the gearing, wheel size and tire size is the easiest way to make a bike fast or quick. there is a difference between fast and quick. a fast bike has lots of top end speed, but it may take a mile or 2 for it to reach that top speed. a quick bike has explosive acceleration and gets from 0 to whatever the top speed is, very quickly, but the top end speed won't be as fast as you might want it to be.

Last edited:

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
i keep seeing the 49cc, you should really consider the 80cc stealth... ive been riding mine for three years now - it still starts every time.

i rode mine this morning for the first time since winter... it fired right up...

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Were can i buy the steath? Imthink im going to get A 66cc kit from either pirate cycles because of the better hardware or bikeberry because shipping will be quik and they have a 6 month warrenty. I will order today when i get home so persuade me.