a shifter came with my kit?

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
so i got a grubee skyhawk kit (was actually not the one i ordered but i wont complain :)) and started looking through it trying to get a feel for the task ahead of me, getting a bike to put it on this weekend :D

anyways theirs a shifter of some sort on the throttle/carburetor set up, i couldn't find any info on it when i searched.

is it just their for later expansion or is it an important piece? the kit i ordered didn't say anything about a shifter.

i attached some pictures although they're not very good quality, cellphone pics are convenient :s

anyways i appreciate the help from anyone who takes the time to answer.

Attachments

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
That's for your choke on the newer cns style carb. No reaching around the carb while riding for you :)
i appreciate the answer but could you explain a bit more? im really new to this stuff >.>

so it lets me adjust performance on the carb while moving?

also whats the difference between a cns carb and the cheaper ones?

thanks.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
okay, 'choke' is for cold starting(when engine is cold). It works by restricting the air and letting more gas in the cylinder. Once the engine warms up a bit you turn the choke off and away you go.

The older style carbs only had a 'flap' that restricted the air, thereby sucking more gas to enrich the mixture.
Credit to Norman for pic

Now the cns style has its own 'choke circuit' which does the same thing, but more efficiently. Have a look here for more detail of the innards:

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/inside-2010-grubee-skyhawk-cns-carb-25062.html

So, depending on your tuning, you'll want a little bit or a lot of choke to help get running without having to pedal for three blocks. Once you get to know your motor and how she likes the ambient temperature startup will be a quick matter.

Oh, for tuning and whatnot, search around as there's already 100 threads on the subject. :p

gl.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
ok ill search but last question regarding this for now, is that shifter something thats going to be used frequently (like daily) or more seasonally as the temperature changes over time?

like do i leave it set at w.e i prefer or do i have to use it daily?

thanks again for the time you spent on the detailed explanation :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
np, only took a quick search. Thank KCvale for the detailed pics of the cns innards. :) You'll only need it(choke) when you start-up, but once you're running you turn it off and forget about it until your motors cold again. You can mount it 'out of the way' like under seat or gas tank, or anywhere; if you don't want to clutter up your bars, as long as you can reach it.