Western flyer Cruiser(aka AMF)

GoldenMotor.com

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all i picked up a Western flyer cruiser built by AMF i seems to be a late 70's early 80's bike. i picked it up at a yard sale for $15

This will be my second motor bicycle build.

The engine will be a HF 2.5 hp Greyhound. some kind of all belt drive. and disk brakes front and rear.

the frame is a flame brassed joints, with coaster brake, half fenders.

the tires are a lost cause lol rims are rough some rust on handlebars and steam.
this will be a winter build so i will keep you all posted. thanks for looking.

Don P

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f41/29946d1286812249-amf-cruiser-motor-project-dsc00001.jpg

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f41/29947d1286812316-amf-cruiser-motor-project-dsc00002.jpg

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f41/29948d1286812315-amf-cruiser-motor-project-dsc00004.jpg

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f41/29949d1286812336-amf-cruiser-motor-project-dsc00003.jpg

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all
This is my first update on this project.

i started inspecting the bike and the chrome fenders cleaned right up look good, rim and tires not so good will need a lot of work.

frame looks good two small dents in the top tube and needs some finish work a lot of it lol

if i put the HF 2.5 in it then it be comes a illegal bike and also this is just not the right frame for it (i am thinking limo).

so i am going to put my HS 49cc in it and put a two smoker in my huffy.

we will see. what comes down the pike.

here are some pics of the first mock up.

Don P

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Don,
That's a nice looking bike. I like the seat, too. I've put heavy duty 2.125 wheels & tires on mid sixties Schwinn bikes with no problems so if you wanted to go with bigger wheels I think you could. Jim Davis did a build of a 57 Schwinn Corvette with pretty much the same cantilever frame, an HF engine and EZM tranny and it looks great. I'm starting on a 51 Schwinn cantilever and am going to use the HF engine on mine partly just to see what it's all about and to try doing a budget four stroke build. One thing you'll need with either engine is an extra wide one piece crank and if you use the HF will need to make or adapt a mount. Jim said he had to offset the engine a bit to make the chain line up with the rear wheel sprocket. I kinda hope you do the HF so I can compare notes... & pick yer brain.
Whichever engine you use, it's going to be a nice ride.
SB

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Re: Western flyer Cruiser(aka AMF) (aka Murray)?

WOW whats this, ok what should i call it (Western flyer) Cruiser(aka AMF) (aka Murray)??

ok here is the dope, it's marked Western flyer and AMF on the head tube tag, and has a Murray serial number starts with MOY MO is Murray. it has Murray lines and the Murray drop outs on the rear. correct me if i am wrong.

here is some pics

update it is a Murray early 1965 with a 20/24 code need to find what that is.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My understanding is that Western Flyer was simply the name of the bikes Western Auto retailed. They were actually made by someone else, in this case Murray. Firestone did the same thing, so did speigals, wards, sears, J.C. Penney. Call it what you want. Western Flyer has kind of a fast sound to it.
SB

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
silverbear you are right bikes were made by different manufacturer under different names ect but.

why dose this Murray frame have a AMF head tube badge mark manufactured by, they were two different bicycle completing manufacture. it is a mystery to me o well.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My 1976 Western Flyer was made by Murray in Tennessee. The manufacturer varied from year to year.
The cool thing is that you have a bike made by American hands with American steel.
I have nothing against the imported bikes. I just enjoy the rarity of an American made bike.
I love the way that Greyhound takes up all the space in your frame. Looks like a hotrod.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all

Here are some pics of this Western flyer. still needs paint.
i picked up a 1957 Schwinn the other day, it needs paint both are red(hummm seems to be the poplar color in 50;s 60's lol) so i am going to paint both at the same time this winter.

here is the link to the Schwinn
http://motorbicycling.com/f41/just-pick-up-today-32473.html

here is the pics of the W/F

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Tnx for posting the pics of your Murray cruiser.
Kinda fun sorting through the badging that has been done in marketing!

The basket case HT I had bought was a murray, with a springer. I've set it aside to use a MTB frame until I learn to build a better MAB because I do like the cantilever frame better and wish to do it right. Your post has helped me towards making decisions that I'll use one day on down the road.

I'm learning more each day! lol That's a good sign! :)
I really would prefer to have more trail in the front end than most MTBs have.
They don't work for my needs.

and suspension! wow! I've put SO many miles on a pedal bike w/o suspension, and now I don't really want to go much further without at least a front fork suspension!

Best
rc

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi Rustycase

the suspension fork i have is from a moab Schwinn mountian bike, it smooth like a motorcycle fork.
there are no marking so i have no idea what it is, but i love it. it had a dampener adjust too. and disc brakes.
i wish i had a train car full of them i could sell the heck out of them.

good luck with your M/B project.

ps cruisers bikes ride so much smoother than mt bikes. even without better forks

Don P

Last edited:

Ray P.

May 1, 2023
Don P. I was wondering if you could toss me a crumb of information - or anyone else out there who may know - seeing as Don's post regarding my question is from 2010.

Background: In 1972, my folks bought me a brand new Western Flyer muscle bike. That bike came with a front chainring exactly like ones I've seen as original equipment on AMF bikes during the same time period. When I read all the history, I cannot find any definitive reference to Western Flyer(Western Auto) and AMF. I have found references to Western Auto and Columbia Bicycles.

So here's my question. Don P. mentions something in his 2010 post about a Western Flyer Cruiser that he had recently found (at that time in 2010) and that it was made by AMF. How did Don know the bike was made by AMF? Or how can anyone tell? I firmly believe him because of my own experience, but I'm looking for evidence.

Reactions: fasteddy

Ray P.

May 1, 2023
Apologies to all - I found the answer to my question as I was looking thru Don's pics. (My Western Flyer doesn't have the "AMF" on the name brand badge - but
it clearly has the AMF chainring) Perhaps mine was one of the first and they were using up all the old stickers.

r 1682969937811.png

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy