First build : Need a bike to build on.

GoldenMotor.com

JohnLL

Dec 24, 2009
St Pete - Florida
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm John, obviously. Looking to build my first motorized ride.

I've purchased the Grubee 66/80cc AngleFire engine kit from one of the many websites offering them, for around $150.00. It is due to arrive the Monday after Christmas. I'm trying to find a bicycle that would be a good match to mount it without too much modification.

I have a front suspension mountain bike, with front and rear brakes, and "grip shift". But after looking at the kit, I can see that its far from ideal. Having to remove the front brake, and modify the throttle so that it won't interfere with the shifters isn't something I'd like to do.

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what brand or perhaps even what style of bike I should use to attempt this.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm going to go cruise the forum now and probably find all the answers I'm looking for. But I still prefer to ask =)

Thanks,
JohnLL

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Ditto^ I just slid over the brake lever and added the clutch lever on the same side of the handle bars. With two fingers I can pull in the clutch lever and two fingers I can apply the front brake.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In an emergency stop, I grab the front brake (not clutch), close the throttle and the stalled engine helps me stop. The stalling motor (2 stroke) does not lock the wheel, but acts similar to a jake brake on an 18 wheeler.

I agree that you can use that ATB frame if the engine will fit within the front triangle.

You can use an old thumb shifter for a throttle and continue using the grip shift.
(And get a kill switch from a powersports shop) You can also get a thumb throttle at the powersports shop.

Alternatively, since this is your first build, take off the grip shift for a while and pedal single speed, using the limit screws on the derailleur to keep the chain on a cog that will give you a 2 to 1 gear ratio (32 teeth in front, 16 teeth in back, for example).

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Hi John, welcome. If you don't like the mountain bike idea, you can get a Huffy Cranbrook cruiser at WallyMart for about 80 bucks. That's what I'm riding today. I kept the coaster brake and put a front caliper on it for good stoppage. Not a speed demon, so it all works OK for me. Having coaster lets me hang the front brake lever next to the throttle, clutch on the left.
Doc

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
Engine braking a two stroke starves it of oil, increasing the likelihood of engine damage. I'd take that over a wreck, sure, but I'm still happier with a dual pull.

Amazon has a couple of Schwinn Southports, red, for $107 shipped. Same bike as the Landmark from Walmart.
any motor assisted bicycle is cool! with that said don't be a wall mart pawn look for a nice solid steel bike ! I am partial to vintage schwinn they made tons of these great bikes there out tere,not quite as easy as spawl mart but nothing worthwhile is!if your set on traditional dimond fame look for mountain bikes with cromolly tubing !opinions are like a##h####'s everyone has one!