illinois law

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The chinese motors are not marked as to what size displacement. So my advice would be get a good engine and stamp it 48cc. But you didn't hear me say that.............:D

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Harbor freight has the stamps. Also for the laws check municode.com, I was really worried about getting some kind of ticket on mine I did some research and found that they are legal in the city ordanance. I was so happy, I printed off a copy, and carry it around with me. Cops do not know the CC it looks like a 49cc to me. Just never say moped, say pedal assisted bicycle. Take your bike into the local Police department and register it as a bicycle, and then put an engine on it after registration. For a back up plan. Just be cool on it and you probably won't have to worry even if it is illegal technacally.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There are bicycle engine kits that are under 50cc, but as stated above, these frame mount china-co engines are not marked/easily marked.

ChopperChad

Mar 5, 2009
Illinois
Good news.
See my new post in the other thread titled, "Illinois", it's over 4 pages long, my post is on the 4th page, dated March 2009.

lancewannabe

May 24, 2009
CLAY CITY, KY.
im in kentucky, i called the courthouse and they said: As long as it does not go above 30 mph, it is not manual, and has to be below 49 cc. that was for mopeds i dont know about bicycles yet but presume they require turn signals and such if your local cops are A holes

Drewbacca

Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
Im in illinios and you need to check your citys ordinences then the state law....... im in evanston IL and there is no Pedacycle law so it goes to state law....

motor assisted pedicycles, according to the IL DMV, are legal without insurance or a licence plate if it is under 50 cc and does not reach 30 mph in a mile or so of acceleration.............. must have a light and a reflector .
2 break hp or less
check out 625 ilcs 5/1-148.2

they do require bicycle registration..... i would get it registered before the motor is on it.

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Im in illinios and you need to check your citys ordinences then the state law....... im in evanston IL and there is no Pedacycle law so it goes to state law....

motor assisted pedicycles, according to the IL DMV, are legal without insurance or a licence plate if it is under 50 cc and does not reach 30 mph in a mile or so of acceleration.............. must have a light and a reflector .
2 break hp or less
check out 625 ilcs 5/1-148.2

they do require bicycle registration..... i would get it registered before the motor is on it.

The bolded text of the quoted post is incorrect as of January 1st, 2010. The law has been ammended to include language for low speed electric bicycles, low speed elctric bicycles are excluded from the description of a motor vehicle. It also changed the description of requirement to be classified as such, it is now less than 1 hp and can obtain a speed of no greater than 20mph when powered soley by the engine on a flat surface of 1 mile in length with a rider weighing 170 pounds. It removes the requirement of a rider needing a current and valid IL drivers license and only states the rider be 16 years of age or older. A description was also included to add a low speed gas biclycle to the law ammendment and essentially affords it the same criteria and regulations.

The below link has the updated information sent to Law enforcement agencies throughout the state, local ordinances do supercede state law if such an ordinance does exist. I would read and print pages 17 and 18 and carry them on your bike anytime out and about.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/police/lawupdate0910.pdf