New build in Hawaii

GoldenMotor.com

Hawaii_Ed

Feb 22, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Ok, I can finally post pics and all. My last thread got completely deleted because I put pics in!

Anyway, I am a hot rodder in Honolulu Hawaii. I live and work on a US Air Force base, with a short and flat commute. I wanted something fun to cruise around on, and was looking at an e-bike setup, but decided to go gas for fun. The price also helped!

- I bought the gas-bike $119 66cc kit, shipping was a little higher to Hawaii, $50 total.
- I got a basic beach cruiser for $89 at the base exchange for the build.
- The kit went on pretty easy, I am fairly mechanical, and only had some minor issues.
- I sealed the carb with RTV
- the throttle cable was too tight, and would not allow a return to idle, so I shortened the cable
housing.
- After riding 4-5 days, the exhaust tip vibrated off. It also got hit by a car! I ordered a new one and
a hot rod buddy straightened out the old one and welded it up.
- I got the Amazon brake/turn/tail/horn combo on the bike. Initially, I put the switch on the clutch
cable. After a week of commuting, I decided to add front brakes! A little bmx side pull set bolted
right up, and REALLY helps the stops over just a coaster brake!
- I have been riding two weeks now, and a, having a LOT of fun! This thing gets more attention than
my restored 1986 Buick Grand National!
- It rides very nice at 25MPH (Bell speedo), but above that it gets quite a buzz and vibration. I may
try one of the more trick engine mount setups in the near future. I like the poly bushing idea!

here are some pics!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome to the forum Ed. That's a pretty sweet looking bike you got for $89 and from the base I'm sure it was tax free.
That was a good Idea to install front brakes. I'm sure you're going to make good use of them. Just make sure to check your front fender from time to time. If it cracks off and jams into your front tire, it could launch you over the bars at 15+mph. Check out the fender post in the safety section. There are a lot of good ideas on re enforcing your front fender.