New to forum not engines...

GoldenMotor.com

frankieb

Aug 18, 2014
arizona
Hello all my name is frankie and i just registered today, I have a grave knowledge of these type of small two stroke engines but do not have one at the moment. i am very expierenced with riding and repairing and upgrading yadda yadda yadda the whole 9 yards.... i was wondering what would be the best engine kit out there for under $200? i have not been into these for a few years and am out of the groove. thank you .shft.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Your budget pretty much limits you to a 66cc two stroke kit. You could save same money by getting a used weed whacker and using it for friction drive. Plenty of examples in the "DIY non-kit" sub-forum on this site.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Frankie. You've joined a great bunch of people with a world of knowledge and experience with motorized bicycles.

Your question as to "what would be the best engine kit" will be met with opinions based on user experience. I doubt that there is a 'best'. They are all pretty similar. What I will suggest is to deal with a vendor with a good reputation for after sale/customer support. That can prove more valuable than low price.

If you get twenty replies, you'll probably get close to twenty answers as to who sells the 'best' engine kit. It all depends on what luck the person has had with their supplier.

Good luck. Sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for but at least it's factual.

Tom

frankieb

Aug 18, 2014
arizona
thank you guys for the help, and for tom i understand your point of view and i should have included that i wanted people to state their opinion because i know i would get a whole lot of different answers..... is there a certain website that is very reliable? thank you for the suggestions and advice again guys

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi frankieb!

Welcome to the forum.
That web site you were asking about, well your on it right now. I have made purchases from venders listed on this web page and haven't had any problems. The information you will obtain from this forum is much more valuable, so do yourself a favor and read as much as you can.
Have fun, be safe!

Dave
AssembleThis

.xx.

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi frankieb!

Well buying a china girl engine is iffy at best. No matter where you buy you might luck out and get a really good engine, then again you might get an engine that keeps breaking down. Remember the engines are made in china, no matter who sells it it's still made in china.
What you want is a new engine, made recently, not one that was made many years ago and sitting on a shelf or boat somewhere. And you ask, well how do I know which are which? And there's the tricky part. Most sellers won't tell you how old their engine is. But there are things to look for. For instance you want an engine with 8mm cylinder bolts not 6mm. Look for an engine with upgrades such as heat shields on the exhaust and chromed so it will last. The newer builds have speed carburetors. What I did myself was buy an engine from BikeBerry then bought the exact same engine on Ebay. The Ebay engine was $70 less.
First engine purchased.

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...-angle-fire-bicycle-engine-kits-2-stroke.html

Second engine purchased.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171242343125?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

On the second url scroll down to see the engine kit. It's no longer available from this seller but it gives clues for what to look for. Also the kit I received did not have that carburetor, it came with a speed carb. But both engines are Power King engines. It was much cheaper, free shipping, no tax and oh not painted.
If I was going to buy a third engine today, this is the one I'd buy. It fits all my criteria.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-80cc-Bi...369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f35895551

Hope this helps, remember when you buy off anyone other than a dealer there are risks involved. Question you have to ask yourself do you feel lucky? Well do you punk? lololol Just kidding! I feel good about the last one.

Dave
AssembleThis

.xx.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Go with the 40mm 'balanced' crank motors.
Not sure how much more they are than an Ebay kit.
But you tend to get what you pay for.
I recently spent Near $400 on a China Girl Kit, but it was far superior to any of the E bay kits I've got.