Nowhere to go?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
When I first starting riding MB's many years ago I could always find somewhere to ride to for fun.

Of course, I use my MB for daily transportation whenever a vehicle is not needed. But lately I have not gone any rides just for the fun.

Like today, woke up early figured I'd go on a fun ride somewhere. But, I don't know where to go anymore?

There is not a place near or far that I have not rode my MB, and riding to the same places of attraction gets a little old after a while.

Many times I will take off for a ride with no plan or destination and just go where the wind takes me. But many times I find myself home within 30 minutes.

There are lots of 2-4 day trips I would like to do, but time and money always prevents me from taking long trips.

I find riding my MB fun, but I am running out of enthusiasms to go anywhere anymore just for the ride.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Re: No where to go?

Move?...:D

Yah, that's kinda cavalier, don't know what to tell you. About all you can do is plan a trip. Make time and room in your schedual and stick to it. One day out and one day back. Maybe everyother month or so.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

seriously, move...:)

i lived in tucson when i was 11-12, and rode my bmx bike from one end to the other a million times. after awhile, it's all the same.

but then again, it's all the same everywhere, after you've been there awhile. when i ride to the beach, it's still the beach. the only thing that changes is the weather. well, i guess the people change, too. but i'm usually not looking at them when i'm riding (except for the girls,) they're looking at me (again, except for the girls...)

you could build an offroad bike maybe? get those big fat larry Surley tires. that'll give you all kinds of new opportunities to ride...

Parts | Surly Bikes

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

If you can , load up the bike , drive your car or truck out someplace an hour or two away park an just explore on your bike .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Dave,
When I feel like seeing new things I take a bike and go exploring small residential streets and neighborhoods. I've seen some very cool stuff just riding slow and looking. I've discovered guys working on hot rods in their garages, some great yard and landscaping ideas, some things I have no idea what they are, just weird and interesting stuff to look at. Unlike you, I've not explored the whole city, Denver's too big for that, but I don't have to go more than four or five miles from my house to find interesting things to see.

I've also met some great people on my bikes. I like to talk to folks and enjoy stopping and chatting with people. You don't always have to ride just for the sake of riding but use the bike as a means to an end. It's a good way to pass a couple of hours.

But that's just me :)
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Hi my Friend

As they say; You even get used to hanging if you hang long enought!! But that does not help you.

What bike do you ride now, mostly? I fear for you in the desert with the drug runner`s etc. They would love to snatch your boxer and head North fast.

Maybe pull your bike trailer in early mornings trips for curb finds in best nabor hoods, you mite turn that into an interesting hobby. I hope that picture you send me way back, with the teeth missing and pig tails on the side is not really you!! If it is, you should not ride, stay in the house!

Ron

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Yeah, the slow ride.

That's why I love the Solex, it's my neighborhood cruiser. I can putt along at walk speed if I want and it's so quiet that I don't cause any ire. Yeah, watch the kids playing, the various homeowner projects going on, hit some yard sales if I care.

Slow and quiet is very cool.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario

OK .. no where new to ride .. how bout something new to do when ya ride .
3000 feet of kite string , a kite , a laser pointer and a disco ball at night ?
any ideas ?
Havent ya heard about that wierd ufo everyones been seeing at night in Arizona these days ?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

They are both a hobby to me and legitimate transportation- I'm a bit obbsessive/compulsive and seen some hard times lately- so I've regressed into this a bit- after I raced USCF road and velodrome for14 years when I was young- So I've got these two builds and I've been busy dialing them in with just what I want on them- I'm mostly about keeping them light, so I can push them up to my second floor apartment.

I'm driving the car only about once a week now and going everywhere on the motor bikes and regular bike here in Jacksonville- the winter will probably slow me down a bit-

I was going to do a "two year" report last year, but three years will be coming up ths spring- and I'm just about completely finished wth them- so maybe then I'l take pictures of the finshed products and write of their evolution.

I'm finally ready to put the 27" back wheel on the 66- the sprockets been on the wheel a couple months but I've been busy- the other has two 700C and this will have two 27" wheels with a 34 alloy sprocket- It's really almost too fast now with a 36 sprock, but I never really open it up, so the motor won't strain at all at 25-30. They're both well under 50 pounds (gotta get a scale!) and both pedal really well too. When I'm up to speed I can cut the motor two blocks from where I'm going and coast the rest of the way- they roll forevere- and that new 415 trike chain seems to have less resistence.

Last edited:

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Exact same thing here. I haven't really got out to ride for fun in 2 months. Honestly klonopin is the only thing that will give me that extra wanting to get out.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Only thing stopping me right now is the @#$$#% rain. We're talking deluge here, not just sprinkles. And the random lightning strikes. I'm expecting some old man to start building a giant boat any minute.

I do mostly short trips to local stores, but I also ride for fun. There seem to be plenty of twisty side streets out where I live, and yard sales only disappear when the snow flies. I suppose I should count my blessings, but I doubt I'll get tired of riding for fun on these quiet little streets.

...Well, once the monsoon season is over.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

always a place to go for a ride... its between the white and yellow lines....
point the front wheel down the road and ride. burn half a tank and turn around and go home. Or just refuel and keep riding

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL

Do what I do. Put your MB in the back of your car/truck/SUV/Van/Camel. Take it to another city when you have to run an errand there.
Park about 3 miles away from whree you need to go. Take your MB out, and use it ride.

I don't know about you, but I get tired if I ride for a long distance. This way, you can explore new areas, and not be too tired from riding back and forth many miles.

Hope it helps.

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan

This response is for DAVE31: Dave; I live in the city near Detroit and I have never riden my 66cc engine powered bicycle here; I ride it up at my son's farm, 70 miles to the north and that is where I keep the bike. It is a mountain bike and all of my roads are dirt/gravel there. The traffic there is practically none existant, as many tractors as cars! I ride slow and enjoy the ride. Here in my city, I would get run over and this is where I ride my Honda Gold Wing! You might consider like others have said, load up the bicycle and take it into new territory. Have fun, BMF

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I find riding my motorized bicycle fun, but I am running out of enthusiasms to go anywhere anymore just for the ride.
Having this problem again. My bikes all gassed up ready to go somewhere. I get all excited and head out and realize I am so bored of riding to the same places over and over year after year that I just turn around and go home.

On Tuesday I finally drained my fuel tank that had fuel from June. That should tell you how much I ride lately.

Wednesday went for a ride, planned on doing my Baja loop ride around the Tucson Mountains and Gates Pass. Never made it, got bored and went home.

Six months from now I'll probably be draining this fuel out because its too old lol.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five

Have you tried Geocaching at all? If there's none in your area you could start some :)

Intro vid on geocaching:
What Is Geocaching? - YouTube
this can be fun if you have some in your area!
Try tuning your bike more, can you get to your usual spots using less gas? less time? Take a look through Google maps and find somewhere that you don't know about. Hope you find that feeling again.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I never thought I could act this way
and I've got to say that I just don't get it.
I don't know where we went wrong
but the feelings gone and I just can't get it back.

Gordon Lightfoot

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Well...it's ment to be basic, cheap, general transportation. Fun is an added benefit. I find not having to pay insurance and registration a lot of fun, too. Or not suffering the massive depreciation of a cage fun also.

Want a fun means of transportation? Build an ultralight airplane ;.wee.