You guys are nice, I'm not..

GoldenMotor.com

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
When I take on a hobby I deeply research it.

Like this one. I read huge amounts of posts on this site. Searched for any posts that I thought may be able to answer any questions I might have, also did the same on another similar forum.

I figured out who the suppliers and manufactures are. Go on there sites and research them also.

I'm sure I have made a few thousand Goggle searches.

I have put a lot of time figuring out what the heck is going on with MB's.

I personally get more than a bit offended when someone who is just LAZY posts a questing that can easily be answered with with a very small amount of effort on there own part.

There are members here who it seems endlessly post these kind of LAZY questions.

Hooray for those of you who will spoon feed the LAZY. You are truly NICE guys.

Ahhh, I feel a bit better now.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I also seem to be a bit of a research junkie, I sometimes wonder if I spend more time searching than I do building lol... however, bear in mind that not all are as familiar with internet research, forum protocols or even computers in general as we may be and we do try to keep this forum a welcoming, friendly place for all - regardless of their relative experience;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2
the rules said:
2. Use the search function for topic you are looking for and add to that thread. If nothing is found, then start a new thread.

3. If someone has a question answer it with a link if already covered. A response of "use the search" is not needed. Most likely the person couldn't find it. Its all about helping each other.
These two rules are not only pretty simple, I think it's pretty obvious by now they're only loosely enforced. It's actually really basic forum etiquette to search for whatever questions/answers you may have before starting a new thread - we've thousands of members who've gone out of their way to provide as comprehensive a breakdown of even the simplest of problems, even creating extensive tutorials complete with pictures and sometimes even videos. You're only doing yourself a disservice by not looking for them first.

We completely understand that not all are familiar with forum use, we know that search engines can be problematic - even yielding too much information to be useful. We don't mind if you feel it necessary to start a new thread... but know that you'll most likely get far better answers a LOT faster if you simply look for them first. In fact people make it more difficult for others to search for stuff if there's a hundred threads asking what their oil mix should be, remember you can always "bump" an old thread with a relevant question - by doing this you're helping that thread be more useful instead of just burying it with more of the same.

That holds true of looking for a thread to link to in order to answer such a question - not only will it provide far more than you probably feel like typing, it keeps the well written, more comprehensive and informative threads alive - encouraging others to go through the fuss and bother of writing such helpful tutorials. It feels like a "thank you" each time a thread like that is linked.
We'd far rather deal with some duplicate threads & redundancy than chase off some unfortunate new member with rudeness & hostility, as such we tend to enforce #3 far more than #2... but the one we take very, very seriously is ofc rule #1: "treat all members with respect" ;)

Last edited:

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
I agree. Been here a week and man I thought I was asking a lot of questions but some people just ask every little thing.

I just might post asking how to mount my throttle and how to hook up the fuel lines. LOL jk

BarelyAWake - One person who posts often seems to be a troll or bot LOL, they never really reply to their threads either it seems after 1 or 2 replies.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you've ever any suspicion of a bot or spammer, or any rule violations for that matter - please do use the report post function by clicking the
icon in the top right corner of the thread/post/PM in question.

...also - remember you can Private Message any of the staff anytime, for any reason at all and we'll do our best to sort things out :)

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I was rude in my replies to one of those forum mass writers, webeneo1. I was politely told by one of the moderators to be nicer, and just use the Private message. I then did PM that person, and they are much much better about their postings.

Also, I did a look at my postings. I looked at me (when I was a NOOB), and read my first 5 threads. If I didn't know it was me, I'd have been rude to myself now.

So, I've learned to be more patient with new guys asking the same question that has been asked a million times before. Because NOO-BEE Donphantasmo did the same thing too, lol. Honestly, I don't remember doing it. Just like when you were a teen, and did stupid things. The difference is on a forum, you can go back and look at your old posts. Makes you wish you didn't do a lot of things you did, or talk (post) things you didn't mean to, huh?

But, we have great moderators that are patient, and don't tell you what to do, rather the guide you towards the right thing to do. That really helps, in a very polite way.

Cheers

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
I always have too many projects/hobby's going on. And I'm on several different forums.

The guys that mod this one are great and don't seem to get personally offended like on some other forums I visit.

I don't really care if someone wants to make inane posts, I just won't precipitate in them.

I understand the difference between somebody who is clueless and somebody who is just LAZY.

Maybe some are just lonely and want some attention.

Takes all kinds and I'm OK with that.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This is how the forum operates though, if you think this is bad join a motorcycle forum when the weather warms up, they all come out asking the same questions lol. But that's they good thing about this place. Most research you look for is from someone asking a question and you reading the answer. since we are talking about motorized bikes, well this forum produces probably 79% of all the internet info on motor assisted bikes, electric or gas. oh and thanks. we are nice aye?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Me 3, as a someone whom's been apart of forums for years. It's like common sense.
Not just common sense, but also respectful and decent, you know.

If I start my thread, I'll visit that thread ever day, or many times per day. I don't start a thread, then just start another thread, then another threat, then another thread......

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I got involved in a thread last August that changed how I look at questions that seem simple, this guy started a thread on his build and asked all kinds of basic how to do this questions. Another member kinda put the O.P. down for not knowlng basic mechanics, after helping the guy for awhile I found out he was 13 years old. His dad had helped him get started on his build but for what reason couldn't help him finish it.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
It was the nice atmosphere of this forum that helped me understand how to fix my factory-dud clutch-- saving me from countless destructive mistakes along the way-- and actually made me want to contribute back to this forum. That'll take a while though, especially when folks are so nice as to just mail me their spare parts and extras for the cost of shipping =)

Last edited:

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
I got involved in a thread last August that changed how I look at questions that seem simple, this guy started a thread on his build and asked all kinds of basic how to do this questions. Another member kinda put the O.P. down for not knowlng basic mechanics, after helping the guy for awhile I found out he was 13 years old. His dad had helped him get started on his build but for what reason couldn't help him finish it.
It's always nice to help people.

A similar thing, someones dad got a hold of me on phone about custom apple OS on regular PC's, lol, and asked if I'd answer a few questions for his 13 yr old son that's trying to put it on a netbook.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
What really gets me is when people post..............help, my MB is broken, what is wrong with it.......and thats all

Not that there is any thing wrong with that. its just they think everyone else is a mind reader and they know what sort of engine they have, their setup and any mods.

it usually takes afew posts to get.....oh ummm its a 2 stroke and I have this and this etc.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
When I take on a hobby I deeply research it.

Like this one. I read huge amounts of posts on this site. Searched for any posts that I thought may be able to answer any questions I might have, also did the same on another similar forum.

I figured out who the suppliers and manufactures are. Go on there sites and research them also.

I'm sure I have made a few thousand Goggle searches.

I have put a lot of time figuring out what the heck is going on with MB's.

I personally get more than a bit offended when someone who is just LAZY posts a questing that can easily be answered with with a very small amount of effort on there own part.

There are members here who it seems endlessly post these kind of LAZY questions.

Hooray for those of you who will spoon feed the LAZY. You are truly NICE guys.

Ahhh, I feel a bit better now.
Very cool and thank you Webeneo. Really are some great folks here.

Thing that made me a want to hang out yrs back was our host. The forum was just picking up steam and getting lots of members. Some one asked Paul about duplicate threads and questions. He replied that he didn't want curtail any one from asking questions no matter what they are/were. His only real rule is show respect to every one. It really trickles down and made this a good and comfortable place. Lots of new folks might be brand new to forums, the internet or even brand new to computers. The thing that bothers me is when some one gets on a member for not following rules or internet etiquette that are from some forum from 1990. Some of the best threads here meander.

In the words of our host; "You guys make the forum"

...and is a pleasure to hang out with you.