I'm getting stopped a lot lately

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
By people that want to buy my MB. Yesterday and today for instance. Today I was riding to eat breakfast, and 2 guys in a pickup flagged me down on the street.

The guy says do you want to sell that bike. I tell him not really, but maybe I would consider making him one. He persists and asks what would take for it now. I said maybe a $1000. He says, I'll give you $800 right now. I turned him down, but gave him my # in case he decides to let me make him one.

zachary

Sep 16, 2011
minnesota
how much money did you put in to your bike? on my occ chopper i put about $300 for the hole thing but i would sell it for $800.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is my first China Girl, and I'd like to keep it. I spent about $550 originally, but I ended up with about $100 worth of stuff I didn't use for one reason or another. That price inculded the bicycle which was $150.

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Man I just got rid of a cheap old bastard I built one for. Careful building a bike for someone else! Ughh...........This old dude made me nuts! Kept constantly bringing over weird people and wanting them to "TEST RIDE" my bike. And would never just buy what we needed. Always brought some old crap from his house I couldn't use. The deal was $50 labor and he supplied everything. I still spent 1/2 my labor money to use the right parts. Now he has the first bike I built him. He got mad and came over and took all his ****ty parts and tells me he is building them himself. Says he has 3 already sold. Blablabla... Problem is hes a picker/hoarder and I can only imagine the crap he is building.
I told him build away and that friction drive isn't my idea. Asked him if he had internet and he said he has someone who "goes online for him" LOL. Good luck buddy.
Oh yea I met him the same way. He stopped me and wanted to buy my bike. I told him no. He asked if I could build him one. Live & Learn.............

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Man I just got rid of a cheap old bastard I built one for. Careful building a bike for someone else! Ughh...........This old dude made me nuts! Kept constantly bringing over weird people and wanting them to "TEST RIDE" my bike. And would never just buy what we needed. Always brought some old crap from his house I couldn't use. The deal was $50 labor and he supplied everything. I still spent 1/2 my labor money to use the right parts. Now he has the first bike I built him. He got mad and came over and took all his ****ty parts and tells me he is building them himself. Says he has 3 already sold. Blablabla... Problem is hes a picker/hoarder and I can only imagine the crap he is building.
I told him build away and that friction drive isn't my idea. Asked him if he had internet and he said he has someone who "goes online for him" LOL. Good luck buddy.
Oh yea I met him the same way. He stopped me and wanted to buy my bike. I told him no. He asked if I could build him one. Live & Learn.............
I've been in the service business for almost 30 years, and I learned a thing or two.

1. If you charge cheap prices, you attract cheap people as customers.
2. Cheap people make crappy customers lol.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Concrete, In honor of your post I put Guns & Roses "Welcome to The Jungle on". Real loud! Sales is nice, support after the sale is hard. UPS & Fedex must be making a killing off these 6 month offers. I had a "shop rat" I bought the bike back, and told him I was going away, for health reasons. rotfl (c)

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
For sure let them buy their own bicycle and motor and don't do any welding or cutting on the frame. Don't let them have any paper work that they can take to court. I wouldn't even use my own name. Doing a favor for a friend isn't always a good idea. Sorry I broke your baloon, been there ,done it. The new motor might crap out after a few miles, if they mistreat the frame we know it will fail, Only disk brakes can stop one of these things in a life or death situation. True a normal person driving on good roads at a sane speed don't have too much to worry about like me and you,,,well not too sure about you.

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Concrete, In honor of your post I put Guns & Roses "Welcome to The Jungle on". Real loud! Sales is nice, support after the sale is hard. UPS & Fedex must be making a killing off these 6 month offers. I had a "shop rat" I bought the bike back, and told him I was going away, for health reasons. rotfl (c)
Haha......."You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!"

Good choice my friend. Yea I told this guy I didn't have time anymore. Lied and said I got a job. Man I wish I really did get a job. lafflaff

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Oh hello yes, lots of peeps get enthused and say they'd like to have one............until it comes time to come up with the cash. I was out riding one of my bikes today, a vintage dual suspension Proflex, and were it sold today would probably run around $2000, plus it's got a Honda engine on it. The last guy asked me if I had anything for $100, lol.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I totally hear ya there, happyvalley. I can't count count how many times I've given out my number, had a guy call (or not), and then not call back (or at all) after money was discussed.

Maybe it's hard for me to understand, but I never got why so many look for a free ride. Even if I'm offered, I will go out of my way to earn it instead.

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
i hear ya man! i get stopped nearly every time i go out for bike parts or to advance.
"nice bike dude! i like so want it!you make them? no @#$% way! your f@#$% me! how much? got a number?" here they pull out their phone, and put my number in, never to be called, ever.....

some lady wanted me to make 6 bikes as a christmas present for her kids,ages 6,8,10,13,16 and herself. i may have warned her off too hard tho.who wants to be known as the guy that sold some poor mama a motor bike whose chain popped off and flipped her baby onto the street?!! .duh..bf.
so like bike nut said,:
1. If you charge cheap prices, you attract cheap people as customers.
2. Cheap people make crappy customers lol.
i was setting the price at 325 and they provide a bike i like. like i said no replys on all the china girl inquiries.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Took the phone calls, shook the hands, My cards never made it home.? If I sold a bike for every card, call, handshake, I would be dining tonight with Mr. Buffet. Jimmy Buffet, rotfl (c)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I was out for a ride one morning and stoped at publix market for a soft drink, when I came out there stood a guy about sixty looking all over my bike. He asked where I bought it, when I told him I built it he laughed and shook my hand and said " thats cool".