New Motor Option to consider?

GoldenMotor.com

MikeN

Aug 15, 2011
Allen (Dallas), TX
Has anyone considered something like the DLE111?

11hp and only around 10lb!

Specifications:
Stock Number: DLEG0111
Displacement: 111 cc (6.773 cu in)
Bore: 1.77 in (45 mm)
Stroke: 1.38 in (35 mm)
Weight: 6.3 lb (2.86 kg)
RPM Range: 1,300-8,500
Output: 11.2 hp @ 7,500 rpm
Requires: unleaded gasoline, oil, ignition battery & propeller
Includes: electronic ignition, mufflers, spark plugs, gaskets, bolts, machined aluminum standoffs, throttle arm extension & mounting template
Suggested Propellers: 26x12, 27x10 & 28x10

Technical Data:
Manifold: Double V-type, reed-valve, bottom induction
Ignition Battery: 4.8-6.0V NiCd or NiMH, 6.6V LiFe or 7.4V LiPo pack (LiPo use requires voltage regulators.)
Compression Ratio: 7.6:1
Gas/Oil Mix: 30:1
Replacement Spark Plug: NGK CM6 (DLEG5510) or equivalent
Weights (individual): Engine: 88.2 oz (2,500 g); Exhaust (2): 7.1 oz (200 g); Ignition: 3.9 oz (110 g)

MikeN

Aug 15, 2011
Allen (Dallas), TX
They certainly aren't "cheap".... figure close to $700, and that includes muffler(s) and electronic ignition.

They have a few options too. A 55cc which is 5.5hp and weighs ~5 lbs, and a 170cc that is 17hp and weighs 10lbs :)

Next issue is figuring out how to adapt the drive, but I don't think it would be terribly difficult.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Model airplane engines have been discussed here in the past. The general consensus being that although they make the horsepower they don't produce enough torque to be a viable power plant for a motorized bicycle. They certainly are beautiful little engines however and I'd like to see some real world experimentation with one. But, alas, the price factor will keep most of us just wondering.
Tom

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I build and fly RC planes and will agree with Tom. These engines are designed for a steady RPM and not for a variable torque load like MB's.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i like it's biggest brother.

Displacement: 13.6 cu in (222.5 cc) Output: 21.5 hp @ 7,500 rpm RPM Range: 1,000-7,500 Weight: 12.37 lb (5.61 kg) Bore: 1.77 in (45 mm) Stroke: 1.38 in (35 mm) Features: Mufflers, Spark plugs, Gaskets, Bolts, Machined aluminum standoffs, Throttle arm extension
$ 1649.99 !!!
i don't like it that much.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
My immidiate reaction to that motor was 'Why not put a propeller on the thing in pusher config, and rack mount that sucker!'

You know, if you wanted facemelting top end. XD Just mount a stock happytime in frame, and when you get up to speed, declutch. the happytime is just there for boosting up to speed.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Those engines are gonna keep going until they will fit nicely on a ultralight aircraft. After all they ended up putting modified snowmobile engines on them. But this is a bicycle discussion.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
That would be perfect for a shaft drive bicycle,kind of a BMW!...I think it needs a flywheel for some rotating grunt....Just a thought/While I was wondering....Tigmaster....

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Gphill

Now there is an idea! In the northern states there are lots of junk snowmobiles with engines and the cvt parts for some real power! For those that have good insurance.

Ron_______________.duh. ___________ cvlt1

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
My immidiate reaction to that motor was 'Why not put a propeller on the thing in pusher config, and rack mount that sucker!'

You know, if you wanted facemelting top end. XD Just mount a stock happytime in frame, and when you get up to speed, declutch. the happytime is just there for boosting up to speed.

i have actually been looking into the propeller idea, i have heard that it actually is pretty effective and cheap/ easy to do once i can get my hands on a prop i am going to mount a weedeater motor on a rack on the back of a giant awesome, however i do recommend using a shroud of somekind the ones ive seen are just open (nothing like taking the heads off of pedestrians i guess) im definately using a shroud

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
i have actually been looking into the propeller idea, i have heard that it actually is pretty effective and cheap/ easy to do once i can get my hands on a prop i am going to mount a weedeater motor on a rack on the back of a giant awesome, however i do recommend using a shroud of somekind the ones ive seen are just open (nothing like taking the heads off of pedestrians i guess) im definately using a shroud
Check out Countach Weeedeater with a propeller. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13950

.cptr.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I have to say, I don't think it's what most motor bicyclist are looking for. The reason we have motorized bicycles, is for cheap, economical transportation. I love the idea of buying a 100$ bike, put a 150$ engine, and I have a motorized vehicle that can take me from A to B.
To buy a 700$ engine to put on a bike, why don't you just buy a cheap motorcycle or a scooter?

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
In the intervening period between my post earlier and, well now, I discovered the joy of thirty year old french mopeds.

To all motorized bicycle lovers: Everything you want and more exists in the moped kingdom. Buy a puch or motobecane off craigslist, replace the seals and bearings, and blast.

... Also, they have real pipes, and 6 port cylinder insanity that makes the China girl look like a lawn mower. I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is Variated.

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
Check out Countach Weeedeater with a propeller. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13950

.cptr.
yea thats almost exactly what i was thinking of doing.. but unfortunately i dont have the means at the moment, i dont even have the money for an engine lol i have a snowblower motor and a chainsaw motor and cant get the resources to do either build ive been trying to sell my gary fisher bike but no bites so far but it'll come someday (someday ill have a welder) also youtube ryan's airbike to see one in action .cptr..bt. also i think adding some bouyant outriggers would be great all you'd need is wings for land, sea, AND air