what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

so i tested out the port work i did on the motor last night (trimmed the skirt to conform to the intake port (now only covers something like 15/16th's at tdc) also threw out the crappy exhaust gasket, and put a thick bead of siclicon gasket maker around the port and let it sit overnight)

bike easily hits 40mph now :3 cruises at 35mph. think i need an 8th gear though lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Moved her around. Not once in the last week even got to sit on her and make motor boat sounds. I miss my Baby!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I put a big ole honk-in pocket bike expansion chamber on the Huffy today, this thing is huge on the bike but it sounds so darn good, I bought this pipe on ebay and thought it would be simular in size to the SBP expan. pipe, boy was I wrong this is a larger pocket bike pipe, this new engine is also running very good, got 42 miles on it now and has already hit 38 MPH once just for a few seconds, put better fuel line and a new filter on also.

comparison Pics.......Large Pocket bike vs SBP

Peace

Attachments

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

I put a big ole honk-in pocket bike expansion chamber on the Huffy today, this thing is huge on the bike but it sounds so darn good, I bought this pipe on ebay and thought it would be simular in size to the SBP expan. pipe, boy was I wrong this is a larger pocket bike pipe, this new engine is also running very good, got 42 miles on it now and has already hit 38 MPH once just for a few seconds, put better fuel line and a new filter on also.

comparison Pics.......Large Pocket bike vs SBP

Peace
did that pipe come already curved like that or did ya have bend it? looks wicked :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Which pipe are you talking about?

The lead off pipe that goes from the engine to the expansion chamber is a pipe that I made by bending it around like it is.

The curves in the expansion chamber is the way it was made.

I had to rig this all up from scatch, I will get a better looking lead off pipe on it before long, I was just working with what I had laying around when I threw all this together yesterday.

This pipe make the bike sound almost just like some of the old dirt bikes I've had, it has that pingy rat tat tat sound, te quietest exhaust I ve had yet but still seems to run good with it, it may be a bit restrictive and I may have to do a couple a mods to it before I get it the way I want it, but it is working of for now since I'm basically just running to get this new engine broke in, but agter 50-75 more miles I'll be looking to up the power on this engine and then LET THE MODS BEGIN......!
shaved head, porting, better tuned exhaust, rejetted carb, smaller sprocket on back.........

Peace

.wee.

did that pipe come already curved like that or did ya have bend it? looks wicked :)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I just installed a front 203 mm disc brake. I'm heading out to McD's to test run the brakes.xct2

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Rode out to my families house 16 miles away yesterday after a failed tinker day the day before. I'm running now a 44T instead of my old 36T, so I lost some top speed, and after the failed tinkering I lost even more. Was at 25 MPH WOT on the flat, which is just not enough.

Finally after adjusting the needle clip and float height when I got there, I was able to hit 32 MPH on the way back! But with my expansion chamber being of the untuneable variety, it didn't start the vacuum until about 27/28, which is generally my peak with this bike. But wow, once it kicked in I could totally tell the difference!

Got a half a gallon or so before I can use some new oil I picked up today, which is a biosynthetic smokeless 2 cycle oil. Not much, just a 3.2 oz container for a 40:1 mix, so I'll give that a shot once I burn off what I have left. If it works well enough, I'll pick up more and have better emissions, which is good. :D

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

pictures!!

also what brand disc you using? planning on eventually running 203mm on the front and 185mm on the back
AVID BB7 mechanical 203 mm kit, front and rear. The front is fine, but rear clearance between frame and leading edge of 203 mm disc is .125". I have nightmares of something wedging between disc and frame. That would cause a MAJOR problem at any speed. I'm gonna take your cue and order a 185 mm AVID BB7 disc kit for the rear. That should give more frame clearance. Then I'll install my rear 203 mm kit onto the front of my Project 29er bike.

There's a clearance sale here:http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR291C01-Avid+Bb7+Mechanical+Disc+Brake+10.aspx

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I made a decision today. My Higgins is looking so sweet that it seemed a shame to have the CDI just looking like an anachronistic chunk of black plastic amidst so many other attempts at dressing the bike up. So I looked around the shed, found the other part of the stainless steel eyeglass case, and got out the dremel. Made a lovely, shiney little shell for the CDI. Pics forthcoming.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

I had used the kit's chain tensioner on the peddle side so today I replaced it with a derailleur if I had a half link I could get rid of the derailleur and have the right chain length and closes alignment but the derailleur has the alignment spot on 6 of one a half dozen of an anther.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

After brunch, I rode 19 miles in the city to shop for parts, a ride in the park and visited my apartment in town.

It was a great Sunday, but the ride wore me out. After wiping the bike down, I lay down and slept for five hours.

Tomorrow will be a great 10-mile round trip riding to work.xct2

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

saturday, i replaced my stock petcock, and stock fuel filter with ones from sbp, also used a new plug, the NGK B5HS. Engine runs smoother, but that mostly because of the xchamber. Tonight after work, im going to take out the old plug wire and put on the new one from sbp.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

I finally got my Iphone GPS up and running I got back from my buds house and I went about 12 miles with a 29.5 top speed. I think I need to shorten my tuned pipe a bit. I will try a quarter inch at a time. Everything else worked grate. Good handling, smooth no chain slap.

I did wind up pedaling the bike more than wanted to. I had to get off the road when my bike lane disappeared then I had to cross a four lane road without a crosswalk. After a bit I got back on the road but still had reservations.

I made it back home but I was glad I had some extra horsepower when I needed it.

mike

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I rode my bike to work today, a 10-mile round trip.
The engine struggled on the short pull up the very steep parking ramp at work. I will try leaning the carb right when I charge up the ramp. If that doesn't work, I'll swap out the 63-tooth engine drive sprocket to a 72t. That would lower first gear from 32.46:1 to 37.08:1...

Both of the rear rack's front retaining bolts fell off. This allowed the rack and fuel tank to pivot backward several inches. The only thing preventing the rack
from causing a rear tire jam was that the fuel line was holding the rack from sliding more to the rear. Two large nylon straps will support the rack until I can find replacement parts. I think I'll keep one large strap to secure the rack to the bike frame.

Strangely, there are cracks or slices forming on my Specialized Armadillo tires. I'm gonna order a pair of Big Apples to replace them.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

took it for a ride around the mall near me. turned lots of head and lots of rpms.

also managed to hit 42.2mph, but that was going down hill so that doesn't count. 38.1mph is about my realistic best on level ground. will need to get a different gear set up if i plan on getting it faster since 41mph = 6000rpm wouldn't be a problem but it's a needle bearing top end, looking to swap it to bushing so that it can rev higher safely.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I bought some muffler tape, but haven't gotten around to sealing the slip-fit connections. The biggest oil spit is coming from the OEM muffler-to-silencer connection. There's no room for the tape to seal the leak, so I'll try epoxy or JB WELD.

The FRAM fuel filter FINALLY filled to the brim. Maybe it's not a leak, but a gravity feed issue. The tank's previous position was directly above the engine with a 6" connecting fuel line. The tank is presently on the rear rack with 18" of hose.

There are some cracks forming on the sidewalls of my Specialized Armadillo tires. Tread is good, but it's a good reason to upgrade to a larger tire, like my friend Rick did. xct2

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

I worked on a in line reed manifold after it's built I'll drill out the piston on the intake side getting ready for the Ca. race