Ethanol Free Gas - E0

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
I tired seaching the forum and didn't find a specific thread on Ethanol Free or E0 gas.

My first ever MB will be completed as soon as the end of the month and was thinking on using E0 gas exclusively. What are your thoughts or opinions on this??

Thanks -- Eric

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I only run Ethanol Free Premium Unleaded in both my MB's & they run great.
I've never put anything else in there to compare & contrast but since the bikes only sip gas, I figured on spending the extra few cents to treat them right.
Finding gas stations that sell the Ethanol Free gas is the trick. There is a website I found once that lists those gas stations nationwide. Could probably Google 'ethanol free gas stations' to find the site.
-Lowracer-

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
I only run Ethanol Free Premium Unleaded in both my MB's & they run great.
I've never put anything else in there to compare & contrast but since the bikes only sip gas, I figured on spending the extra few cents to treat them right.
Finding gas stations that sell the Ethanol Free gas is the trick. There is a website I found once that lists those gas stations nationwide. Could probably Google 'ethanol free gas stations' to find the site.
-Lowracer-
Lowracer, thanks for the reply. Helps me greatly. I found a website link to 'ethanol free gas stations':

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

-eric-

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to go to the gas distributor (Mark Nelson Oil Products, by I-5) and have a special card that says I'm smart enough to pump my own gas to get " clear unleaded" with no ethanol. I've heard gas absorbs about 6 ppm of h2O but ethanol absorbs 6000 ppm. Even the fuel distributor says it's bad for all carborated engines not just 2 strokes. I think it's worth the trip just like what you have to do for racing fuel. I run 87 octane with Amsoil sabre 32:1 gas right now $3.60 gal + 4 oz amsoil for $2 so I'm paying 5.60 a gallon with oil. But I think it's worth it. Erhanol is for drink' n not burning. dnut

Also I tried premium but after some research I realized that 87 is actually more explosive. I don't get pinging with 87 so I run the cheap clear unleaded and put nice oil in my ride. I have just over 80 miles on this motor and I still have over a full tank left from my first gallon of hillbilly lightning. At this rate I'll be over 130 miles on a gallon. I'm getting over 40 miles a tank so it's at least 120 mpg. I hope it's dry Sunday so myself and others can ride downtown. I hope everyone can make it for some coffee and jawing about our rides.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't think "E0" is gonna be available for much longer to the general public, like matthurd - I already can't find it at all 'round these parts and being coastal we've the one of the most outspoken anti-ethanol groups, boaters & a lot of 'em. Doesn't seem to matter to the fuel stations tho.

Tho there's a darkside to ethanol and I'm so not trying to advocate it... I think it's also somewhat inevitable. We've not the infrastructure for most alternative fuels & oddly, for w/e reasons - Americans just don't seem willing (or able in our case) to go diesel of any flavor...

At this stage, with our massive dependency on gasoline powered vehicles of all shapes and sizes, ethanol does seem the only readily available and convenient answer... something our culture is quite fond of. So... personally... I'm gonna avail myself of the "easiest" solution too, bowing to the inevitable and running w/e concentration of alcohol my local fuel stations offer.

So far, for the past 12,000 miles or so - it's been a mild E10. While I've had "rubber" seals turn to goo and twice their original size (replaced with "paper") and fuel lines getting solid & brittle (replaced w/copper) and a bit of water showing up from time to time... really, those issues aren't that problematic and so far - the solutions easy and the bikes runnin' fine.

Ofc, the greater the concentration of alcohol - the greater the consequences but as far as I've learned, even as high as E80 it's all about the same except two things... to run the really high amounts of alcohol a compression increase is required (not a problem, we've tons of info on that) and a more worrisome one, corrosion. Apparently aluminum isn't particularly fond of straight ethanol, awkward as that's the primary material our motors are made out of.

How badly, how quickly does it corrode? No one seems to have a clear answer - both sides of the debate seem fond of extreme claims. Yet, the motors are cheap & easy to work on & I'm willing to experiment... so, I guess I'll hafta wait and see.

I do however think fuel stations should offer a selection (at varying prices ofc) lower concentrations for folks with unconverted or unsuitable engines (or jus' gearheads) & higher stuff for those that do, or can't afford "the good stuff" - this random selection of none at all to almost straight alcohol (all at the same price no less, which is cheating), depending only on what station ya happen ta pull in to is a motorhead's nightmare "what the heck am I putting in my tank now" is a question I hate lol

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I don't think "E0" is gonna be available for much longer to the general public, like matthurd - I already can't find it at all 'round these parts and being coastal we've the one of the most outspoken anti-ethanol groups, boaters & a lot of 'em. Doesn't seem to matter to the fuel stations tho.
i remember reading that alternative fuels were a requirement by the government, mite have even read it right here on this forum, but basically by a certain year gasoline has to be mixed with a certain % of alternative fuel, by law, in an attempt to reduce our reliance on foreign oil. ethanol happens to be leading the charge in our alternative fuel initiative.

it would be nice if we could get exactly what our motors need though, which is pure gasoline with out any type of alcohol.

ironically they're punishing what many of us view as the most efficient way of gasoline reliant transportation.