Opti 2 Oil

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Ok I know there are a bunch of threads out there that discuss synthetic oil but I've got a problem on my hands. After a good 300 miles on my bike I decided to go online and buy some Opti-2 to see what all the fuss was about. Before I switched I was using a 24:1 ratio and after I bought the Opti I guess it was mixed somewhere in the neighborhood of about 100:1 like they say.

Now here's the problem. I've gone through 2 full tanks with the Opti and keep running into a really weird problem. I start up the bike, let it warm up for about 5 minutes and then go for a ride. It goes good but sometimes while riding the engine cuts out all power for about 1 or 2 seconds. It's not bogging or anything it just cuts out all power then goes right back up and tugs me forward. This is really weird and worries me.

Has anyone used Opti-2 or any synthetic oil and has encountered this problem?

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
My first thought is that it probably has nothing to do with oil. Maybe it is a coincidence to be happening now. I would start by looking at the electrical components. Are you using the stock kill switch on the throttle. I hear it isn't too good. I bought a toggle switch and wired it up.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Its a partial seizure or overheat most likely.

100;1 is not enough oil, of any type of oil. For any type of motor.

50:1 is also lean for air coled motors.

"More oil is more power untill the plug can't burn it". Gordon Jennings

Last edited:

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
100 to 1,,,wow, sounds like the piston is getting a little hot and trying to seize, might knock it down a bit to 50 to 1, that's what outboards use.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Although I think Opti 2 is way overhyped on this site (I ran it for awhile, not better than Dominator), I doubt your problem is oil related. That said, what does your plug look like?

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue too.

BTW Amsoil Saber/100:1 oil has been used in various air cooled 2-stroke engines mixed at 100:1 since 1972! So Opti 2 is not even the first to do this. Funny thing is awhile back I ask Amsoil tech what ratio they recommend with Saber for the HT engines. 50:1. But even at 50:1 Saber is pretty darn oily in these engines.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
This is purely my own opinion:

Long periods of wide open throttle @ 50:1 rotfl
My next door neighbour knew better than my advise and went by the instructions on the Stihl 2-stroke oil bottle and had to walk home.

When he pushed the bike into my garage with a sorry look on his face, my response was: rotfl

Got his motor running again and he's now running a filth spewing, black tar like sludge oil ratio that leaks goo the same consistancy as a Transocean oil spill, from every corner of his engine, but his motor is still running.

Fabian

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I can absolutely guaranty that can you go WFO all day on Saber at 50:1 and your engine will not seize because of lack of oil. It may detonate or otherwise go meet that pimp in the sky, aka mother of all HT girls, but it ain't locking up due to lack of lubricity.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Its a partial seizure or overheat most likely.

100;1 is not enough oil, of any type of oil. For any type of motor.

50:1 is also lean for air coled motors.

"More oil is more power untill the plug can't burn it". Gordon Jennings
If 100:1 on Opti 2 isn't enough oil, then why do Millions of people, plus (Most all large Comercial Mowing and Landscaping Companies) use the Opti 2 with excellent results. Pretty much everyone around here uses it, and I am along way from the Corporate headquarters out in Washington St.

John

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
As with most threads on this issue.... this is going south. The info will remain here for people to read and make their own decisions on what to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.