Welding

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Is it at all possible to weld these engines to the bike. Another way I could think is weld the metal bracket piece the bolts go through before they screw into the engine to keep it secured to the frame. I figure if it's welded on the bike then I would never have to worry about it coming loose the bolts or it viberating to much either.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get that stuck bolt out of the engine.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't think you can weld aluminum to steel unless there is a some magic formula I'm not aware of...which is possible.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
as far as I know you can weld anything to anything...melting two metals and letting them dry together? sounds right to me, in anycase we're going to have to take the darn thing in somewhere to get this bolt out, so frusterating...

- Mopedamauter79's gf

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
have you tried a easy-out there so easy! drill a small hole in your broken stud then use the easy out , it catches counter clockwise so you can remove the broken stud.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
have you tried a easy-out there so easy! drill a small hole in your broken stud then use the easy out , it catches counter clockwise so you can remove the broken stud.
We tried to drill into the bolt but the drill wont drill a hole. The best we are able to do is put a small dent into it. I dunno if the drill is not strong enough or you need a drill bit that will drill into steel.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You will need a decent drill bit, not a dollar store bit or a "multi-purpose" bit. Use some oil as you drill, light pressure, lower speed if possible.

The difference between using a good bit properly and a crappy one improperly is amazing.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
yeah , what joe said it makes a huge difference run the bit slow with some pressure , but make sure your center in the broken stud you dont want to accidently damage your threads , and drill down about 1/4" or a little more just enough so the extractor will dig in and bite. turning ccw should remove the broken stud! did you use any loctite upon first assembly on any of your studs?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
One thing you gotta watch out for. I was drilling a broken stud on my bicycle motor. The drill actually started turning the broken piece. By the time I had the hole drilled enough to put in the easeout it was about to fall down into the engine. That woulda ruined my day...................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
lefthanded drill bits are the way to go for drilling out a broken stud sometime they will screw out while drilling.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
welding will not work,i have been welding 30 or more years.welding even with mig or tig your engine must be grounded ,a bearing will cause an ark between the balls and lead to bearing failure. pick up a screw and bolt removing kit at sears they work great.

Last edited: