using a 20" bike pros/cons

GoldenMotor.com

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
Hi i was wondering how would having a 20" wheel effect the overall performance (top speed and accelleration) of the motor you are installing as opposed to using a 26" bike?

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My 26" cruiser with a 49cc seems to be faster than my 20" Schwinn OCC Stingray chopper with a (marketed "80"cc). I attribute this to the difference in wheel size.

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
Assuming everything else is the same, smaller wheels will give you faster acceleration, and slower top speed. So, having larger wheels will give you slower acceleration, and faster top speed. This is because the circumference of the tire affects the overall gear ratio.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Isnt the frame alot smaller with 20 in wheels? What motor will fit, Ive seen alot of threads where 26 in bicycles have problems fitting the motor in the v portion of the frame.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
yeah i dont think im donne do a 20" setup. at least not til i geta nice chopper bike. After i get my motor setup and stuff i will look at upgrades but im definitely gonna invest in a SBP shifter kit though! i have seen so many videos of it in action and it looks like its worth every penny, can anyonetell me the final drive gear ratio (minus my wheel sprockets of course) that comes stardard with the Kit?