About Pull Start- Potential Problem.

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Hey fellas, I got a pull start adaptor from Zoombicycles.com But I have a question about it. When installing the metal plate. Does it matter if the metal touches the magneto coil screw? Will that short it out? I had it running, today but strangly, it stoped so I decided to chain the Mag Coil b/c that is what I thought it was then it worked again. WHat do you guys think?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Aluminum IS a conductor and was used in manufacturing of residential wiring during a copper price hike in the 70's . It also degraded over a short time compared to copper and caused fires , that was when it was discontinued as a residential product .

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Bare aluminium wire is used for ALL HIGH-VOLTAGE CONNDUCTORS. You know, the ones going from metal tower to metal tower. So yeah, aluminum is a conductor.Don't want any of you guys touching the wrong thing. Walter F.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Walter sent me a pair of pull start units to inspect.

One had a stamped sheet metal driver, the other was cast Aluminum.

The sheet metal piece just barely cleared the screws, the cast one wasn't even close.

The pull starter that came with the sheet metal driver worked great until the grommet for the cord popped out. I didn't realize the grommet had come out of the housing. The edges of the casting are so sharp that the cord shredded after a few pulls. No big deal, I put new cord in and made a nylon grommet that will stay put.

Jim

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Aluminum IS a conductor and was used in manufacturing of residential wiring during a copper price hike in the 70's . It also degraded over a short time compared to copper and caused fires , that was when it was discontinued as a residential product .
Quite right- it is a very good conductor (after silver and copper), but corrodes.

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Ok, So does it matter if the Pull Start Plate Adaptor touches the screw of the magneto Coil? Will that short the Mag Coil? When I pull started it when it was touching there wasnt any resistance or anything, and there is a lock washer but it still seems to be touching A LITTLE. Any Recommendation, and will that short out the Mageneto coil?

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
You know, LiveFast threw in a pull start with the first kit I ever bought. I couldn't tighten the screws all the way because if I did and pulled the cord, it wouldn't rachet back into place. I finally gave up on it and went back to pedal starting it. I'm not knocking LiveFast. I just figured that the odds were against me.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the kit i ordered from gasbike.net was a dualstart which came with pullstart already installed on engine and works perfect. i payed $149 plus $30 shipping and is worth every penny. the price of the kits went to $179 and now i dont see them listed as kits no more,but they do have just the dual start engine w/pullstart without kit forsale:$89.
GasBike - Motor Only (MO)
48cc dualstart startfire gt2 grubee with manual/auto clutch with pull/peddal start

Last edited: