What engine kit should I get?

GoldenMotor.com

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to be doing my first build here soon and I'm getting a little overwhlemed with all the kits that are out there and picking one out. What I would really like is a 4 stroke engine, but all the kits I see out there are very expensive and don't go very fast. What are your thoughts? If this really is the case I will go with a 2 stroke engine kit, but I'm still having an issue picking the right one.

How do I know the engines I'm looking at are good quality?

Thanks!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to be doing my first build here soon and I'm getting a little overwhlemed with all the kits that are out there and picking one out. What I would really like is a 4 stroke engine, but all the kits I see out there are very expensiive

Thanks!
What 4 stroke kits have you looked at?
Expensive? How much are you willing to spend?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Also what kind of speed are you expecting? These are motorized bicycles, not motorcycles. 25 to 30 is about the average top speed you can expect from a stock engine kit, 2 or 4 stroke.

Tom

John Robertson

Nov 5, 2013
Gretna, Louisiana
I only have had 2 engine kits so far and i had absolutely no problems with either kit and i purchased both 66cc 2stroke black engine kits from rose326a on ebay and had great service/shipping. i will only buy kits from rose their engine kits are sweet

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I personally use Staton Inc. My personal choice on 4 stroke engines are Robin Sabaru and Honda. Still several members have nice builds with the chinese 4 strokes. Like Tom said 30 mph is going to be your top speed. 4 strokes can be used to get higher speeds but you'll need to reinforce certain areas of your frame. Braking will be another issue. In most places the cops won't bother you at 30 mph and under. At 45+ mph may get the cops attention.

Last edited:

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
I personally use Staton Inc. My personal choice on 4 stroke engines are Robin Sabaru and Honda. Still several members have nice builds with the chinese 4 strokes. Like Tom said 30 mph is going to be your top speed. 4 strokes can be used to get higher speeds but you'll need to reinforce certain areas of your frame. Braking will be another issue. In most places the cops won't bother you at 30 mph and under. At 45+ mph may get the cops attention.
How much are those Robin Sabaru engines vs Honda? I'm not looking for a lot of speed, just some websites I have been looking at said that the 2-strokes I was looking at went 35-40mph and the 4-stroke went 25-30mph.

Are 4-strokes mounted on the rear of the bike and 2-strokes mounted on the inside the frame above the pedals? Or am I wrong about that?

Have you every been stopped by the police on your motorized bike? If so, what did the officer say?

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The R/S 35 and Honda GXH 50 cost around $400. I was able to get a used Honda GXH 50 $245 off eBay. I'm going to be building a second autoshift bike soon. I like the rack mounts but there's several members who've built mid frame mounts with 4 strokes. Just use the search feature. EZ Motorbikes have nice mid mount 4 stroke kits. For the kind of speed you're looking for you'll need a 49 cc or close to that 4 stroke. If you aren't concerned with legal issues you could do a build with a larger than 50 cc 4 stroke engine.

Last edited:

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
What ever you do don't get one of those cheap chain drive's you will be disappointed..I would go with one of the friction drive's I have had a lot better experience on them..Good luck!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What ever you do don't get one of those cheap chain drive's you will be disappointed..I would go with one of the friction drive's I have had a lot better experience on them..Good luck!
What mid mount cheap 4-strokes?
Disappointed? Hardly.

$250 is an odd budget, 2-stroke direct drive kits are under $200 and 4-stroke direct drive center mounts are $350.

What exactly are you using for a bike as will rules out many options?

TFroehlichIII

Dec 27, 2013
Lansing MI, USA
What mid mount cheap 4-strokes?
Disappointed? Hardly.

$250 is an odd budget, 2-stroke direct drive kits are under $200 and 4-stroke direct drive center mounts are $350.

What exactly are you using for a bike as will rules out many options?
I'm looking to use the bike to take to and from work in the warm weather months. I would rather get a 4-stroke engine just because I have had better luck with them rather than 2-strokes. I would like to have the freedom to fill it up anywhere without having to worry about mixing it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm looking to use the bike to take to and from work in the warm weather months. I would rather get a 4-stroke engine just because I have had better luck with them rather than 2-strokes. I would like to have the freedom to fill it up anywhere without having to worry about mixing it.
I like the $350 HF 142F 4-stroke with 4G transfer case kit from gasbike.net http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-kit-grubee-2011-skyhawk-4-g-t-belt-v-2879-prd1.htm

They typically need a little pedal help to get going so a low geared single speed which is easy by replacing the $2 18T hub sprocket with a 19T or just us a 7-speed bike but once you get them going they run nice and can do ~30MPH.

What really rocks that engine with a SBP shift kit and an internal 3-speed, not need to pedal and they will they 35MPH.

But that is way out of your price range.