question regarding clutch

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
This happened to me last week. I ran out of gas on my 2 stroke and had to peddle home with the clutch in the lock position about 3-4 kms. I was wondering if that is hard on the clutch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No. The clutch, if properly adjusted will completely disengage and pedaling the bike will not harm it in any way. In fact the basic idea of the manual clutch is to allow the bike to be pedaled normally with only a little parasitic drag from the chain, sprockets and clutch cross shaft. You're good to go. No damage.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
No. The clutch, if properly adjusted will completely disengage and pedaling the bike will not harm it in any way. In fact the basic idea of the manual clutch is to allow the bike to be pedaled normally with only a little parasitic drag from the chain, sprockets and clutch cross shaft. You're good to go. No damage.

Tom
Listen to 2door, He's right 99.9999999999% of the time. Yeah, It's made for that.
fatdaddy.
I coulda put more 9's I guess.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA

Tom
I was wondering something, does it matter how fast you go? I live in the mountains and often times I will hold in the clutch lever, kill the engine, and glide down the hills. I can reach speeds up to 40+ miles per hour gliding down these long steep hills with the engine off. With the sprocket spinning that fast without the engine running and oil flowing could it damage the clutch or engine? Should I put extra grease on the clutch or anywhere else?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was wondering something, does it matter how fast you go? I live in the mountains and often times I will hold in the clutch lever, kill the engine, and glide down the hills. I can reach speeds up to 40+ miles per hour gliding down these long steep hills with the engine off. With the sprocket spinning that fast without the engine running and oil flowing could it damage the clutch or engine? Should I put extra grease on the clutch or anywhere else?
As long as your chain alignment and tension are good, coasting with the clutch disengaged won't hurt anything. When the clutch is disengaged the only moving parts of the engine is the drive sprocket and the clutch cross shaft. The crankshaft, piston and the gears on the right side don't move. Of course you need to assure that when you pull the clutch lever in and lock it that it is completely disengaging the clutch. That's part of clutch cable adjustment.

There's no need for extra lubrication but the chain does need it, coasting, pedaling or under engine power the chain needs lube.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Be sure to keep the bucking bar and ball well greased and you should have no issues with coasting.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
As long as your chain alignment and tension are good, coasting with the clutch disengaged won't hurt anything. When the clutch is disengaged the only moving parts of the engine is the drive sprocket and the clutch cross shaft. The crankshaft, piston and the gears on the right side don't move. Of course you need to assure that when you pull the clutch lever in and lock it that it is completely disengaging the clutch. That's part of clutch cable adjustment.

There's no need for extra lubrication but the chain does need it, coasting, pedaling or under engine power the chain needs lube.

Tom
Thanks, that's what I thought. My clutch cable is adjusted good and fully disengages the motor. I'm using a very strong BMX chain that runs through my engine sprocket very smoothly, much better than the bulky 415 that came with my kit. I use a generous amount of silicon spray to lube it. I figured why waste gas or stress my china girl running it down hill when I can go plenty fast just coasting? I fly down a 8 mile road straight down hill from my house, it's a blast!! I love riding this thing, I'm happy spring is here.
brnot