Need advice on Oil mixture

GoldenMotor.com

SubieGuy

Sep 3, 2012
Canada
My "break in" consisted of 1 tank of 30:1, using non - synthetic oil, varying throttle, not afraid to got wide open. Then I switched to a semi synthetic oil, and changed the ratio to 50:1. Haven't had any problems, in fact I feel it runs better and better everyday!

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
My "break in" consisted of 1 tank of 30:1, using non - synthetic oil, varying throttle, not afraid to got wide open. Then I switched to a semi synthetic oil, and changed the ratio to 50:1. Haven't had any problems, in fact I feel it runs better and better everyday!
It doesn't really matter all these tiny details... these engines seem to get better every day until they break down. That's what I've found anyway :p

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
And the chain tentioner.... What's the deal on that, what happens if I have it to tight, or too loose compared to the .5 inch it is supposed to be at?

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Not a huge deal IMO. Too tight will stress the chain a bit. Too loose will not hurt much either, unless it comes off.the darn sprocket and damages bike.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
what kind of grease should i use for the gear that goes into the motor, it sounds like it should be greased up a bit cuz it squeeks when ever i pull the clutch

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
Hey there...

what is the best ratio to burn at for breaking in?
You'll get a lot of opinions about this subject which as been discussed many times. I'm a newbie with only 400 miles on my first build, but here's my experience:

I used a 16:1 mix (Castrol 2T) for the first couple of gallons of gas. I think that is actually a bit too much...but it was OK. Then I went to 32:1. Just checked the plug today and all is well. I could actually go for a tiny bit more oil. Like 34:1 according to the plug color.

Here's the best chart I've found, thanks to a post by Dave31:

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Very important to check the plug. Don't take it out when the motor is hot.
Wait for the motor to be cool.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well, you shouldn't even "baby it".

Vary the throttle and engine speed. Revving it isn't going to hurt anything- it's not like you are walking on a freshly healed broken bone and need to take it easy. Any defective part that's going to break will do so in the first 30 seconds.

Don't lug the engine down with low rpm and high loads. This isn't a good idea, ever.

Don't make long down hill runs especially with the throttle all the way closed. Once again, with a two stroke, this is never a good thing, it starves the engine for oil.

Do get on the throttle a bit, it helps seat the rings. It's a good idea to get on it for 10 seconds or so, then back off half the throttle and slow down, repeating this cycle for a few minutes, this will get the rings seated.
Check your plug to be sure you have a good burn- brown or slightly oily black, not white or gray.

Keep an eye out for loosening nuts and bolts. Watch the tensioner especially.

Have fun.

You've got a PM.
Very good advice here.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
what kind of grease should i use for the gear that goes into the motor, it sounds like it should be greased up a bit cuz it squeeks when ever i pull the clutch
The bar inside the clutch cover needs grease.
(It's in the center of the drive sprocket)
Pull it out and grease it well and squeak will stop.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
what type of grease do i use for doing that?? and if i was to grease it, would it be the small cover where the chain attaches to the motor or the large one?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey there...

You'll get a lot of opinions about this subject which as been discussed many times. I'm a newbie with only 400 miles on my first build, but here's my experience:

I used a 16:1 mix (Castrol 2T) for the first couple of gallons of gas. I think that is actually a bit too much...but it was OK. Then I went to 32:1. Just checked the plug today and all is well. I could actually go for a tiny bit more oil. Like 34:1 according to the plug color.

Here's the best chart I've found, thanks to a post by Dave31:

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Very important to check the plug. Don't take it out when the motor is hot.
Wait for the motor to be cool.

That plug chart is for four strokes.... I would say dial it back SEVERAL steps for two strokes, and don't worry so much about having a slightly "oil fouled" appearance, as these engine are two strokes.

You want a chocolate brown or slightly tan as your lightest color.

This one is actually much better and supplied by Dave31 as well.- http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg11.htm

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
what type of grease do i use for doing that?? and if i was to grease it, would it be the small cover where the chain attaches to the motor or the large one?

Any wheel bearing grease or lithium grease, or for that matter, and grease from a grease gun. It's behind the smaller cover on the left side of the engine.

Last edited:

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
That plug chart is for four strokes.... I would say dial it back SEVERAL steps for two strokes, and don't worry so much about having a slightly "oil fouled" appearance, as these engine are two strokes.

You want a chocolate brown or slightly tan as your lightest color.

This one is actually much better and supplied by Dave31 as well.- http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg11.htm
I didn't realize that chart was only applicable to 4-strokes.

Russ

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
No, it's a waste of money. Our engines are low compression, and don't benefit from high octane.
as far as oil mix, i followed joes advice...24:1 for the first 3 tanks then 32:1 after that...16:1 is too thick and will eventually result in fouling your plug and or killing your engine due to carbon build up

id like to say something on gas octanes here: i run 93 octane at 32:1 with valvoline synthetic multipurpose 2 smoke oil. I also have run 103 octane at 32:1 oil mix and the difference is extremely noticeable... the higher the octane the cleaner the burn...clean burn equals better combustion which in turn DOES make a difference...ive also been stuck using 87 octane and had to change a top end shortly after doing that...

i prefer to use mobil 93 octane gas...seems to be less crap in the gas and has continued to be of great burn for my china girl...

this is just my opinion...
(from personal experience)

Last edited: