Hello Everyone

GoldenMotor.com

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
My name is Roger and I just moved to Groton, CT about a month ago. I have been wondering this site for a few days now just looking around and I think I'm going to have to get into this.
I found a place to live out here that is only 7 miles from work, but it is very hilly and the roads are narrow with quite a bit of traffic. The good thing is all of the roads I travel are only 35mph and I need something with better gas mileage than my Jeep Cherokee that I've built for off roading with 6.5" of lift and 33" mud tires. I began by looking at mopeds, but they are ugly and the motor bicycles you guys are building are great.
I currently have a Schwinn 26"/21spd Cimarron mountain bike, but I don't think I want to put a motor on it. After looking at all the pics around here I really like the cruiser style. I'll probably start building one in a month or two, but until then I'll keep reading and gathering information from this site.

Roger

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hi Roger Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :)

If you have any questions when you get your build started....feel free to ask, always someone here willing to help out.

:ride2:

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Hey Roger, welcome aboard. I saw in another post you used to live in Muskegon, I am just up the coast in Shelby, there is alot of great riding here. For your CT riding, I would reccomend 67cc (aka 80cc) with a 50 or 52 tooth rear sprocket. This will help alot with the hills. Enjoy the ride...Kelly:ride2:

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I found this Diamondback Della Cruz at a garage sale yesterday and picked it up for $40. It still has all the nubs on the tires since it hasn't been ridden except for a couple times. The problem is they shoved it in the back of the garage and stacked stuff all over it. I took a couple pics of the dent in the rear fender and scratches in the paint. So do ya'll think I should tear it apart and repaint before adding the engine or just go ahead and put an engine on it?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
DARN!!...I wanted to be the ONLY one with that bike :(......rotfl

I think if you want to paint the bike, that is a personal choice up to you. But now is the time to do it before you mount the motor.

I paid $15.00 for mine brand new still in the box at a yard sale, I've been very happy with it. They run between $200-$300

You will have to have a frame adapter for the front mount...I drilled mine but I would not recommend that to any one. And it's a tight fit with carb at the seat tube but.

And the most important...if you plan to keep the fenders on you will need to modified the mount for them. The stock one will break in the first few rides and could be a big danger!

Here are some pics

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/fairracing-pics-video-1961.html

I have more videos and pics....just search around

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Rodger, welcome.
SCORE on the diamond back! good deal there. Gonna be a sweet MB.

I used to live in and sail out of New London, Just across the river. When a sub went out, we would all go to the bar "Love boat" and try to pick up the suddenly single gal folk. When the subs came back from patrol, they were suddenly involved again. lol. Younger years.

wut?

OH, and big time what Mr Fair said. Fenders need attention!

Last edited:

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
Fairracing 31, thanks for the link. I can't see in the pics what you did to strengthen the fenders. Did you just use different bolts and washers and things to strengthen the attaching points so nothing could get loose? I'll scour the board and see what else I can find on your build.

Dan, since I've lived here I've already heard that people still do that in New London. A couple of us watched a sub heading out the river the other day from the office and one mentioned that he was heading to a couple bars to pick up the single married women while their guys are out to sea.

I'm not really liking all the decals and stuff on the bike the more I look at it. I'l probably take everything apart, sand it and repaint it solid black. It's got to be easier to paint this than the Jeeps that I've painted in the past.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
Are those front forks turned around backward?
Fairracing31 thanks for the link. I think I know what I'm going to do about the fenders.

I just went back and looked at Fairracing31's pics and I think my bike was put together wrong from the getgo. My forks are backwards compared to his. I thought it looked a little funny, but now I know it's not right. I'll take care of that when I start disassembly this weekend. Thanks for the headsup. That could explain why the front fender hit my toes when turning when I took it around the block for a spin the other night.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI ROGER, ALSO WELCOME. THIS FORUM WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HEADACHES. A FOOL LEARNS BY HIS OWN MISTAKES ! A WISE MAN LEARNS BY OTHERS MISTAKES ! :rolleyes: KEEP US POSTED. GREAT BIKE. LATER, RON :ride2: