Hi! I'm new :)

GoldenMotor.com

shelly77

Mar 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Hello everyone! My name is Lindsay and I'm new to the forum and the motorized biking world! I'm from Waukesha, WI and I work in Milwaukee.

With gas prices on the rise, the 16 mile commute to work every day in a car that only gets about 20mpg. I can't afford a new car right now, so I'm looking into other alternatives. I have routes I could easily take to get to work, and I'm very interested in purchasing a kit to convert my bike, and I have no idea where to start. I'm hoping to get some good information here!

Well, I'm excited to look around. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help and advice.
You'll find there is a plethora of suppliers for kits to motorize a bicycle. If I could make a suggestion; read lots here using the Google Custom Search feature and you'll find answers to most of your questions. Type in a key word or words, such as "best kit". If you need specific help there's always someone willing to offer it.
Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
There are as many ideas of a "best" kit as there are flavors of ice cream at the grocery store. You will have plenty to read up on here and base your decision from.
I hope you enjoy this place!

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Shelly77 ... Hi! I know what you mean about the high price of gas! I have a 1987 Chevy Sprint that gets 46 mph, and I still can't afford to use it all the time. I built my first motorized bicycle late last fall, put 300 miles on it before winter, and have only put 150 miles on it over the winter. Nice winter wasn't it. Now that spring/summer is here, I plan on setting it up with a trailer for hauling groceries and supplies. I hope you get one going quickly. They're fun once you get used to the blazing speed and awsome horsepower.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Shelly77 ... Hi! I know what you mean about the high price of gas! I have a 1987 Chevy Sprint that gets 46 mph, and I still can't afford to use it all the time.
I knew that those cars were slow, built for fuel economy and all, but.... daaaaammm! I would be afraid to drive it on the freeways around here. Get ran over for sure!

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
i believe he meant 46 MPG not MPH lol simple type-o mistake...and 46 is pretty good for a CAR. NOT compared to a 49cc tho =)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I know, I just thought it was funny..... Everyone has typos and sometimes a little humor can be found.
I only wish my car could get 46MPG. It's a tiny little Chevy Aveo5, 4 banger, 35MPG highway.
His 1987 gets better mileage than my 2006. I thought modern technology was improving fuel efficency?!?

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
oh, ok. lol yeah kinda funny now...but the 87 is probably a manual....and might even have a carburetor instead if a pump...and still gets better mpg lol kinda sad eh? oh yeah and an inline 3? who ever knew?

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
My van gets 15 mpg. I finally put gas in tonight. First time in over a week. Gosh I love my motorbike. Ride it to work everyday and it easily pays for itself . Got 130 mpg on my last tank . Good luck with your new project !

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you're planning to use your bike for commuting to work I'd suggest going with a four stroke as opposed to a 2 stroke China girl motor. My experience with both over a number of builds leaves me with the conclusion that the four strokes are more trouble free. Whatever you do, you came to the right place. Welcome to the forum!
SB

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are my guidelines for building:
1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Primary riders physique.
3) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
4) Type of bike.
5) Budget.
Stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build.