coastal rust prevention

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I live near the ocean. On the ocean to be more accurate as I work on a ship. I have a steel frame bicycle I've had only a few months and have had it outdoors since I've motorized it (Capt says I can't keep it inside 'cause of the gasoline), and I am concerned with keeping in rust free. Any suggestions besides the obvious of wax the stationary parts and lube the moving parts would be appreciated. I bought a cover for it, it was too cheap and already ripped, avoid the gray one on Ebay that is all over the listing for "Bike cover". I want also to tear down my engine and grease that, I know there is a thread here about doing that somewhere. This is just a general inquiry about the best rust preventative that is tried and true for those of you whom have successfully kept your bikes rust free for a longer period of time. Thanks.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea... I can sympathize lol as I'm coastal, sometimes in the ocean depending on lunar tide/storm surge >.<

You've got the idea, wax or lube what ya can... other'n that the ocean really does win every time, covers don't do a lot of good TBH as they can't shield from the salty, moist air, but they do save ya from the seagull love *shrug* Washing it all the time is your best bet... but there is also this product;

CorrosionX Aviation, 16 oz. aerosol (80102)

Which, while a touch spendy is simply wonderful for protecting those hard to reach places, corners, inside of tubes, dissimilar metals or w/e else ya don't wanna or can't wax/lube. It's mostly used in aviation and it does work really well with only occasional retreatment, depending on conditions.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I also live on the ocean. Sometimes I am awakend in the night by the sound of my bike rusting!

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
jolfstn,
You work on a ship so you may already have the answer right under your feet!! Ever wonder how the folks stop the steel ships from corroding INSIDE?? Yup, they use Zinc plates bolted to the hull, otherwise known as "anodes". The short version(long version available on request) is the most reactive material will corrode instead of the mother material. Put 2 pennies next to each battery terminal on your automotive battery, you will notice the pennies corrode but NOT the lead terminals(my 2 cents worth)LOL But really, try the anodic corrosion protection theory, I suspect many of the paint products mentioned contain Zinc or Zinc chromate, basically a sacrificial coating. Heck, I bet if you tape a few pieces covertly on your bike it may work too. I realize probably not and attractive solution, I KNOW it will work, it's up to ypu to apply the science!!

R/Mac

Austinpetemo

Dec 26, 2011
Corpus Christi
I too live on the ocean, only for a few months but ive sadly watched my once beautiful road bike corrode into something not so attractive :( would adding an extra layer of clearcoat to the nonmoving parts help keep it rust-free longer?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have lived on the coast all my life, tried every-thing. Aluminum frame bikes slow it down. Done Zbart, every kind of coating known to man. If it's on the water, it's going to rust. Sorry, The T-Heads in C.C. Tx, is one of the worst. Wind always blows inland. Cars, boats, bikes, don't stand a chance. (c)

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i like the idea of using zincs, seems i work on a lobster boat i know a bit about zincs, and in theory it might just work. available at anyplace they sell hauling gear.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio
This thread inspired me to do a little rust prevention testing.

The steel discs found in the photos below were all prepped on the same day according to mfg's recommendations. All discs had the same mount of rust present prior to testing.

A 2 part conversion coating on this disc without media blasting. As you can see, it didn't perform very well since the original rust was never really removed, only "converted".

After media blasting, a 2 stage iron phosphate wash & rinse was applied. To date no corrosion has reformed.

This disc was only media blasted. At first glance you would think this process is working well... until you look at the bottom of the disc in the next photo.