PVC Tank How To

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yes, can you start a thread showing the snorkle you made for your bike? There could be a lot of applications for that, including running resonator boxes or remote air filters.

Why not turn that soda bottle around to face the front of the bike? Might help get that "Ram Air" effect and would prevent dirt from your rear wheel from getting sucked it...

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I realize this is an older thread but I just had to see how the PVC fuel tank is holding up....Are you still using it regularly?...Is it still leak free?....I am seriously thinking of making one.

Thanks!

Andrew

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I switched back to the peanut tank on my new build, but the pvc tank held gas all winter with no problems, I am thinking of putting it back on, it was a larger capacity.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

my spin on it just wanted to give this thread a bump and say thanks FERBALL for and amazing idea and a great build up thread i just copied it all down and ran to the home depot (also made a spud cannon with extra pipe) i orignaly wanted to do a under frame tank but cause im gona be doing a 4 stroke not enough room so went to the bike rack instead ultimately plan on building a 4 inch pipe tank for the rear instead of the 3 inch since it fitting under the frames not a issue

thanks again for the build thread zpt

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Here is the tank mounted and ready to go.
Brilliant idea with the PVC tank...is. thats schedule 40 or sched 80 PVC if you turn that soda bottle around you will get more air flow into the carb it will force it in as the wind builds up inside it i bet you notice a difference too..we use 4'' pvc for wells attached to a stainless steel screen.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Has anyone experimented with plastic welding on PVC? It could open up a whole different look and feel of PVC tanks. Rather than using existing end caps you could weld folds and cuts into the PVC... Start with a 5 inch piece, cut it to interesting shapes that fit into the bike, weld it with a plastic welder.

I had a friend who made sculptures from plastic culverts and large diameter pipes by welding them together. One he made called "The Nail" looks like a penny nail but 15 feet tall and "pierces" a building it still stands today, and he built it back in 1996 or 97. It gets painted every so often.

Just an idea. If PVC stands up to gas, and you can weld it what is stopping us from making in frame PVC tanks that look like metal?

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I know PVC is pretty durable but is certified to carry gas? As I understand it there are some forms of the product that will break down in sunlight. I don't know what will happen if you have gas in the product at high sunlight and temperature conditions. Just a concern. Maybe I'm all wet.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
(PVC pipe/Poly Vinyl Chloride material)
I'm no expert on the stuff, but the industry I work in uses PVC for several products that are exposed to many elements & chemicals, UV rays from the sun will cause some deterioration over a long period of time, but if it's painted that will be eliminated because the sunlight can't get to it, I would use PVC pipe as a fuel tank with confidence.

I would however use Schedule 40 at least just for the strength factor of the thicker pipe.

Map
reddd

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Quite bluntly IMHO I would stay away from PVC as a gas tank.
quite bluntly IMHO you have every right to stay away from anything you want to stay away from, ...that's not to say that you are right but just that you are entitled to your opinion.

...frankly though, what exactly is it that you are afraid would happen? ...and why is it that you discount the opinions of others who have shared their experience with PVC as a fuel tank? ,,,don't their opinions count for anything?

it seems to me that there is very little to lose by trying it and an awful lot of versatility to gain so i won't hesitate to give it a go on my next build.

...but, quite bluntly, that's just my opinion.

...peace, bozo