College?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH, BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME! ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I am going off to college soon.

I would like to take my bike (probly not till second semester though, gotta get me sea legs you know), but I have no idea how to manage everything.

PA laws are different from Ohio (where I am now), but I don't think I would have any trouble. I would talk to campus police beforehand anyway.

I just don't know about where to keep it. I could lock it up (there is a bike lock outside of my dorm hall), but I still worry. There is a camera, and the campus is rated to have some of the lowest crime rates ever (very small, catholic school), but it is still in a crappy part of the city (not to offend anyone).

I would likely buy a GPS tracker for sure.

But I even contemplate going further - wiring a stun gun so that vibration for more than 1 minute (meaning someone would have to be riding it) would set the shock to the handlebars (poor rider lol). Is that illegal?

Anywhoooo........

I was told that if a bike is "nice" enough, the RA will maybe let them keep it inside in the basement, but with gasoline?.............I don't know about that.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and could give me some tips!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Store it indoors if you can. Use a separate "storage" fuel tank cap that is sealed. Run the carburetor dry of fuel before rolling it indoors as well.
My Honda CT70 has a special cap, factory issued, that lets you open or close the vent for storage. That's where I got this idea from.
Hopefully the powers that be will allow you to do this.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have no experience with OH and PA law, but I know I would have enjoyed a motorized bike when I was in college (late 70's, early 80's). Mopeds existed then, but they were relatively pricey for a college student.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wiring a booby trap onto your bike is illegal and presents liability issues. Does that mean I wouldn't do it, if I were you? Well....not gonna say.

Will say this: try not to kill anybody. And hypothetically speaking, if it looks like an accident, or bad wiring, or some such...

Actually: your best bet is probably a very good lock and chain. And be seen with the bike. Make sure people know whose it is. Brag about it to people, answer questions. If there's a way to register the serial number with the cops, do it. Then, show it off some more. That way, if somebody manages to take it, ain't no place there he can go where somebody won't see him with it.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Must be an exciting time. I dunno bud. Think ya have to just feel it out.

Could be a great side income stream. Selling MBs at school. Locked up out side, she could get gone real fast but a great advertisement. I would most certainly look into renter's insurance!

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Has anyone ever had their engine stolen? I mean it is easy to lock up your bike, but some body with a proper sized socket and a cordless drill could drop an engine in about a minute, and another minute to break the drive chain and disconnect wires and gas line... Just wondering, as I would really think twice about leaving mine outside overnight.

The Berry

Jul 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I never really thought about anybody stealing my MB engine. I'd think a thief would want the whole bike in one piece. One way I can see how the engine remains just as secure as the bike frame is to maybe weld one of the U-bolts that holds the engine to the actual bike frame.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
OK, first off.. no one's gonna steal your little Chinese motor. It's not gonna happen. Second, get a U-LOCK and use it on secure rails, racks and such. Done.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I gotta agree with that. I have never heard of some one coming out only to find their MB was now only a "B" LOL

Not that I think it could not happen but if thieves were not lazy, they would have jobs. Just saying bolt cutters would work faster and easier then wrenching an engine off. Then they would get a MB too. (Unless their engine just died, snork)

OK, my intent was to make you feel better and as I am so completely failing, gonna shut up now.

The Berry

Jul 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't knock it. Sometimes if a thief can't get exactly what they want, they'll take what they can. I've seen bikes that were locked up securely just have the front wheel, seat, and or accessories stolen because they thief couldn't free the frame. A thief tried to steal my bike, but couldn't cut the U-lock, (it had multiple cut marks on the sleeve and bar), so he stole my bike bags.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I keep seeing a bike frame up on cinder blocks in my head, lol.

I wonder how hard it would be to hook up some sorta lojack system. Solar powered threw a pay as ya go cell phone with a GPS locator system? Hide it under the seat. As long as your not making phone calls, would be free? Or, even with out solar, would only have to charge it once a week or so.

Like the commercial, "Oh, I know where your at"

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
... I would likely buy a GPS tracker for sure. ...
I haven't ever heard of any GPS device that is appropriate for concealing on a bicycle. All the ones I've seen would be easily discovered and removed. Plus, most of them need a 12V power source.

... But I even contemplate going further - wiring a stun gun so that vibration for more than 1 minute (meaning someone would have to be riding it) would set the shock to the handlebars (poor rider lol). Is that illegal? ...
In the US, yes.

Probably the easiest way would be to use at least two different GOOD locks to lock it up (like a pair of Kryptonite New York chain/locks, both through the frame & both wheels) but that's still not going to keep people from messing with it. And you really need to find out where you would be allowed to ride it at all on campus, and where you could store it first (before taking it there at all).

To secure parts, you use allen bolts (get rid of the seat quick-release and get a bolt for it) and then you tighten ALL the bolts like you want, then you use crazy glue to glue a BB into each one. To remove the bolts you need to use something to dissolve the crazy glue first, to get the BB out.

Alternately, you get a beater bike for college.
Craigslist a cheap cruiser bike, put a rear rack & front basket on it (you WILL end up carrying stuff on it). Look for a single-speed coaster brake, or a 3-speed coaster brake if you want gears. No quick-release parts at all, and get a good lock.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
They do have GPS for bikes, but it is noticeable. Has a steel wire to keep it locked on, but could be easily snipped:
GPS Bicycle Tracker

Unless I have a better way of concealing it, I'm probly still not too safe.

Is there any way to lock the motor?

And for extra kicks, I could just loctite all bolts (heck, why not use the RED stuff?)

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

These are great and if you do booby trap it with a stun gun consider it in the seat to fire into their gonads. LOL

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've had a bicycle stolen......no worse feeling in the world.

One thing I've learned-if a thief wants your bike-he's gonna get it eventually if you let it out of your sight.

My advice, buy two Kryptonite locks and a cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Legend-Chain-Bicycle-Padlock/dp/B001SMUBQC

If the thief can't see it, that's less of a temptation and the more time you force the thief to undo your locks....you make it a pain to steal and less of a target.

Mount your locks up as high off the floor as possible and wrap the chains as tight as possible-the less potential leverage you give the thief-the better.