UK Newbie build

GoldenMotor.com

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
Hi there, new to this forum.

I have a good condition Schwinn Super Seven, and a StarFire 80cc kit, all bought for the grand total of £140 (£60 for the bike and £80 for the engine).
Not really sure which way i wanted to go, but love the cruiser/board racer look, the frame is in good condition, and although i am happy to cut it up, seems a shame.
I was intending to cut the top tube by 4" and extend the rear triangle by 2" to give it more of stretched look.
But that may be for next time, so the thought was to get it up an running and commit time and money on the next one.

Questions:
The steerer is one very long, the handle bars sit way to high, i have flipped them over, racer style. I have tried another neg rise billet steerer but it does not fit. Does the steerer size differ to other 1" steerers?
Can i cut the exsiting steerer down?

What's the best seat mod to move the seat back? cut the tube and angle and re-weld? or weld to a plate and then a tube?
Did not want the side rails, wanted to keep it clean looking.

The bottom bracket is shot, are these easy to over haul? loads of bike experience on singles and fixes, but nothing clunky and bmx build.

The rear wheel is a Shimano gear hub a 7-speed Nexus and its shot, what are my options? the price of replacement seems a little high, and out of my total budget, what hubs do people recommend?

I was looking at using a Shimano disc brake rear, with a single kit and freewheel, then hard fix the engine sprocket to the disc bolts, Has anyone done this?
Are there any issues with the rear sprocket coming loose? it just looks a little crude to me, was hoping to integrate into the bike more.

Going to start assembling today, so will post images later tonight, any help would be greatly received.

Great Site!

Thanks

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
Howdy fixwheelmad , and welcome ....

they make adaptors and sprockets for disc hubs ,so i would say it works well,
better than any rag joint mount.

you could look around for some used mountain bike rims with disc brake hubs ..

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I was looking at using a Shimano disc brake rear, with a single kit and freewheel, then hard fix the engine sprocket to the disc bolts, Has anyone done this?
Are there any issues with the rear sprocket coming loose? it just looks a little crude to me, was hoping to integrate into the bike more.
Honestly, I refuse to ride a bike that bolts to the spokes. It's just not safe enough for me.

Currently, I'm bolted directly to the disc brake hub, have been for a couple months now. I've retightened once after the first ride (which wasn't necessary) and it's been solid since. Though, they are Blue Locktited. There is no adapter, it's just 6 holes through the sprocket which is non dished. Were you to drill out the stock sprocket to be able to bolt on that way with a dished sprocket, it would help with alignment.

If you plan to use disc brakes as well, or if you want to get a more proper alignment, definitely check out Kings S&S's top hat adapter.
Top Hat Sprocket Adaptor | King Sales and Service

Welcome to the Forum by the way! :D

Last edited:

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
Thanks for that, i cannot fit the drive to the hub anyway its too big (the hub), will have to get another wheel built, but for now, i will take a wheel off another bike.

Will a disc fit in a rear triangle of a cruiser?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
That's where the top hat adapter will come in handy - there's two of them. One offsets it 1/8", the other 1/4". That brings the sprocket in closer to the spokes while keeps it attached to the disc rotor mount on the hub.. That in combination with a dished sprocket, you should be able to get it to fit without having any chain rub on your seat stay or sprocket clipping the seat stay.

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
Update, it runs just!

Have got the cranks hitting the exhaust, need to cut n weld that.
The kill or cut-off switch does not work, defo need this sorted, think its and earth issue, how does the engine earth?
The rear chain is a bike chain, the original was not long enough, need to get another and the chain tensioner is just crap, it does not spin and fails to do its job, will use a motorbike one that freewheels.
Need big brakes, it runs really well, surprised at the speed and the take up, very exciting, only ran down my lane, will sort all bits out then its a workhorse with a 25 miles round trip.
Photos enclosed.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Proper wiring is as follows.

Black CDI to Black Motor to Green KillSwitch
Blue CDI to Blue Motor to Red/Yellow KillSwitch
White to WIRE CAP.

You should be able to get away with just bending the exhaust (not while attached to the motor).

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
After a scare with the engine, though i had cooked it, removed the bicycle chain and replaced with a 415 all is well, just need to sort the tensioner which quite frankly is rubbish, need to sort some thing with a spring in it.....

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
After a scare with the engine, though i had cooked it, removed the bicycle chain and replaced with a 415 all is well, just need to sort the tensioner which quite frankly is rubbish, need to sort some thing with a spring in it.....
going to get an old Delrin wheel machined, with two SKF sealed bearings, then put a big spring on a arm of ally, need to mock something up, want to get some real testing done, only traveled more than 1/2 mile so far...

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
Proper wiring is as follows.

Black CDI to Black Motor to Green KillSwitch
Blue CDI to Blue Motor to Red/Yellow KillSwitch
White to WIRE CAP.

You should be able to get away with just bending the exhaust (not while attached to the motor).
Wiring worked now it stops, thanks for that, need to get the tensioner done now

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Nice one, your the only other person I know from blighty with one, on the plus side I suppose our numbers here have recently doubled :)
I'd pop over on mine but at 30mph max It would take all week to get there !
auflgauflg

fixwheelmad

May 29, 2011
England
Really? only two, surly not?
Any how, what's your ride? and have you bought anything from the UK? i am struggling to find anything i want, Worksman wheels, and Monarc forks for starters? be good to chat, pm your email, ta