Backward engine.

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I know there is an entire thread about an engine with jug reversed and a few other things, but I did not find simple yes or know to this question. If I install an engine backwards will it run in reverse with out a an issue? It is s single cylinder two stroke, so I would think in theory if was started running in reverse it continue with out a problem but I was just wondering if theory and reality agreed on this point.

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
golf kart engines run backwards for reverse... theres no reason they wont run backwards unless they're rotary induction, which these engines are not. if you for whatever reason install the engine backwards, you cant drive the rear wheel.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Are you talking about turning the cylinder 180 degrees so the carb is on the front . is this a china ht engine your talking about. I need more details and I might be able to help as I have "flipped the jug" on mine.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I had an idea for an interesting install, that engine would be installed backwards putting the drive sprocket on the right side of the bike, but instead of running it to the rear sprocket run the chain forward. But as I thought about more and more it made less and less sense.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am curious about the flipped jug as well. Is it as simple as taking the jug off and rotating it? because that would help solve some of my build problems, but I know enough about engines to know that I do not want to modify the internals, even on a cheap HT.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
the engine does not run in reverse with the jug flipped it runs the same direction as it did before flipping the jug. I couldn't tell you how to make it run backwards.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
you do have to mod the internals to do this some of the issues are
Rotate the piston so the rings dont hang up on a port
Matching the transfer ports in the case and cylinder

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Not some thing I would recommend. Unless you are very confident in your mech ability and understanding of the ports inside the engine

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
I port matched the transfer ports on mine using silly putty . man that stuff is good for allot of things like that. I also used it in the case to keep metal shavings from going places I didnt want them. The shavings stick to the putty and you just pull the blob out shavings and all.... A good rinse and your good to go.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I had an idea for an interesting install, that engine would be installed backwards putting the drive sprocket on the right side of the bike, but instead of running it to the rear sprocket run the chain forward. But as I thought about more and more it made less and less sense.
Here's why I'm confused: when you say "run the chain forward" are you talking about driving the front wheel? If so, won't steering become a problem? The other issue is this: when the engine's drive sprocket is on the left, it and the rear wheel turn counter-clockwise. If you mount the engine backwards with the drive sprocket on the right, no matter which wheel you power - it will still turn counter-clockwise, meaning that on the right side of the bike you would indeed go backwards, i.e. in reverse. Unless you rebuilt and modified the engine to compensate.

Might I suggest a jackshaft to accomplish something similar.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Like I was saying the more I thought about it the dumber it sounded. But my thought was this: I am making a long wheel base recumbent, I was thinking of turning the engine around and running the chain forward that hooked to a jack shaft that would be integrated with the front cranks then back to the drive sprocket so that the cranks and the engine hit the drive sprocket on the same drive chain so I could shift, as you can tell from my description is convoluted and overly complicated and like I said it got dumber and dumber the more I thought about it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i thought someone here made one of these engines run in reverse, but the timing was completely off so it didn't work too well.

i know that most two strokes can run backwards, so once i "fakied" my bike backwards down the driveway and bump-started it. luckily, it started normal (forward,) otherwise i woulda been over the bars with my bike in the street behind me.:)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The HT could be made to run backwards by cutting a new keyway in the magnet rotor or crankshaft, to get it to fire at about 25 deg btdc of new rotation direction.

You might hafta take extra measures to keep flywheel and sprocket nuts from backing off.

I useta start my allstate moped by backing it down an incline in first gear. It would run but poorly.

When I roll my Hongdu/Solex backwards with the comp release on, It pops a little