Added a hoop kickstand...question...

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
This is probably a dumb question....

I added a cool hoop style kickstand from Spookytooth. (see pic)

I did have to do a minor grinding mod to the right side of the stand to make it fit on the rear tangs just right. Works nice and has a locking position. After years and years with this bike, it took a motor to get a kickstand! rotfl

My question: I have quick release rear hub. It's extremely nice and heavy duty. But with added width of the kickstand the retaining axle screw doesn't make enough thread engagement for comfort....it works, maybe 3-4 threads or so, but I want more. Is it ok to remove what I think is an axle spacer? See pic #2.

TIA

P

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think those spacers are because the bike originally had a disk brake on it and someone removed it and needed to fill the space. try to remove one and make sure you do not have to bend the frame to make it work right. the kickstand you got i do not think you will be happy with. i got one like it and it rattled big time while riding. i ended up getting one like this which was a little pricey but i am really happy with it. its heavy duty to say the least

Attachments

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i think those spacers are because the bike originally had a disk brake on it and someone removed it and needed to fill the space. try to remove one and make sure you do not have to bend the frame to make it work right. the kickstand you got i do not think you will be happy with. i got one like it and it rattled big time while riding. i ended up getting one like this which was a little pricey but i am really happy with it. its heavy duty to say the least

The bike never had a disc brake. It's a 1988 Model. I don't feel like riding it until I resolve this issue, but I had NO choice for a center kickstand, because my lower brake and pipe hanger are in the center. If it rattles, I'll find a cure.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I alway's thought that the extra spacer's were to help keep your tire in the middle. Try it, if the wheel is still in the middle...go for it.
:ride2:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I too just recently installed one of these kickstands because I was getting tired of the wind blowing my bike over.Seems to be very sturdy.At the present I don't have a motor mounted(one on my bench waiting for new bearings another in a Fedex truck,hopefully not too far out) The thing I like is it seems like it would be easy to run your motor with clutch out to check with issues with the chain, engine noise etc.Just curious,anyone ever try kick starting using pedal.Ron

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I got it to work fine. I now have plenty of thread engagement. In that stack-up there was a smaller spacer that really isn't visible (looks like part of the fatter spacer in the above second photo).

I also took the hub all apart (bearings and races were perfect) and re-greased it. Nice.

Last night I painted the tab part that I ground down - that tab would go where the dérailleur mounts, but really doesn't effect functionality. Here's a shot but you really can't see much.

Attachments

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Kick stand is very nice. I actually feel kinda spoiled to have a stand! Didn't rattle today or anything.

I would say the only drawback is my rear tang area is pretty busy now...with a quick release, stinger, kickstand.....more of a pain to take the wheel off, that's for sure.