Guidance Please

GoldenMotor.com

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
Okay,
I'm trying to decide on an engine.
What is the difference between the 48cc and the 66cc.
I'm mean the Hp is about the same, the top speeds look similar, but what are the pros and cons.
Any thoughts?
I'm not looking for high speed, just enough power to move my big ol' bike and my 200lbs.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I think all of us have gone through this dilemma at some time. Your right, top speed is about the same. 66cc is supposed to have more torque which some would say will get you up to speed perhaps a bit quicker. A 66cc would also be more likely to pull a bigger guy up a hill. Some say that 66cc is more prone to vibration.

I think the deciding factor would be the legislation in your state. Many states limit to under 50cc. That being said, once you unbox the motor and remove any stickers, it is tough to visually tell a difference.

My vote is for 66cc unless you live in an urban area of a very strict state who requires documentation for 50cc or under.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
The larger motors use the bigger chain. Also the drive sprocket on the moter is wider.
This makes the chain track much better. I like the 80cc motors best.
Not necessarily true. I have 1 Grubee 66cc that has a thicker sprocket/chain, 1 66cc Grubee that has a thinner sprocket/chain and one 49cc that has a thinner sprocket and thick chain.

Thin sprocket can use either the thin or thick chain. Thick sprocket can only use thick chain.

Personally, I prefer the thin chain as it quieter, less drag when pedaling and smoother- but that's just my opinion.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
66cc all the way you will be happy if you take your time on the install and pay attentiion to detail, and give it time to break in that is if this is your first motor, good luck and happy motorin!!!