49cc Clutch Removal

GoldenMotor.com

KellyR

Dec 12, 2010
Hesperus, CO
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and new to motorized biking. I've got a 49cc 2-stroke I bought off the net, installed it and ran it for a while. When I went back to try to ride it, the clutch wouldn't disengage. I've popped the cover off the clutch assembly (after trying to adjust the clutch) and found rust in the gears and on the plate. I've ordered a new clutch pad and plate, but can't get the clutch pad off. I've taken off the flower nut, the plate, the spring and the nut holding the pad and toothed disk on. Now how do I get the clutch pad itself and the toothed disk off? Any help would be appreciated.

Kelly

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If you are talking about the H.T. motor you should have got one of these with your kit.

http://thatsdax.com/sitebuilder/images/MVC-003L16-376x273.jpg

http://thatsdax.com/sitebuilder/images/MVC-009L14-405x298.jpg

The thing with the threads on it is a puller like used on three piece crank arms and works the exact same way. YouTube - remove a bike crank arm set #1

Being that you have rust involved be sure not to mess up the fine threads on the puller and get it seated all the way. Use some good penetrating oil.

KellyR

Dec 12, 2010
Hesperus, CO
I got the engine fro BoyGOFast. It worked great for a while, but now it's BoyDon'tGo.

Here's pic of what I'm working on. You can see the clutch pad and sprocket that need to come out. It's not very thick metal so I'm hesitant about prying it out or even using a great puller.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That is what that puller is for your gonna need it with that rust. You should have it repeatedly sprayed with penetrating oil while you pass around it going through any thinking so it can soak in. That's gonna be your best friend.

There are three holes on the back of these clutch plates that new grease can be worked into. Jugging by my previous experience with how fast rust eats these motors the clutch bearing on that plate are prolly toasted!

You must have had this thing with the clutch cover off and exposed to the elements for a time?

KellyR

Dec 12, 2010
Hesperus, CO
Sadly, a puller didn't come with the kit. Looks like I'll have to find one. A new clutch bearing too, perhaps.

The clutch cover has been on the entire time. I'm thinking moisture got up in there at some point.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You can get a puller from here.. ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_4

Honestly if that bearings did seize up I am not sure where you will find new ones they are a bunch of BB size bearings and the the two halves that sandwich the bearings in are a press fit. They can be pressed apart for replacement rather easily . You better be prepared tho as those little steel balls are a gonna go everywhere.

Try this read..http://motorbicycling.com/f39/bicycle-engine-tear-down-391.html

KellyR

Dec 12, 2010
Hesperus, CO
Thanks for the link. I'll have to get one.

I've been toying with just bypassing replacing the old clutch and putting in a centrifugal clutch. Any ideas on that?

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Looks like you might have kept your bike outside in the weather.
That's no way to treat a loved one.
Bikes are like cats, they don't take a liking to getting a bath.
I also know some people like that too!!

TIM