Georgia to allow right to travel without a license.

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It will never pass.

Without any form of control over people driving cars, trucks and buses etc. there would be a nightmare on the highways and byways of GA. If you want to have an idea of what I mean just look at the country of India. They average 180,000 highway deaths per year. People drive on the wrong side of the road, pass on sharp bends and nobody bothers to stop at intersections. That is just some of it.

This sounds like an idea from the people that claim you don't have to pay income tax. That is a good idea isn't it? Go straight to jail and do not pass go.

Terry

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
(6) The right to travel upon the public highways is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited at will but the common right which every citizen has under his or her right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under this constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his or her inclination along the public highways or in public places while conducting himself or herself in an orderly and decent manner; and
(7) Thus, the legislature does not have the power to abrogate the citizens' right to travel upon the public roads by passing legislation forcing the citizen to waive the right and convert that right into a privilege.
I don't see anything in this bill that would take away rules of the road. It would simply recognize the right to travel. This means that one need not ask permission. Therefore, no more 'licensing'.

As for India: they have licenses just like the states here.
This sounds like an idea from the people that claim you don't have to pay income tax.
Guilt by association, eh? I smell a red herring.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
You would people that are not mentally capable of driving a grocery cart out on the highways. Yes, India has a drivers license but the roads are a complete disaster because they do not know how to drive a car correctly.

Like I said it will never pass. If it does I will give you 1 month of my income! Put up or shut up as the saying goes. Nobody with any level of intelligence would ever think any differently.

I can see where this is headed I'm I am not going there. You go a head a take your shots. I'm finished on this thread.

Have a good day.

Terry

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
You would people that are not mentally capable of driving a grocery cart out on the highways. Yes, India has a drivers license but the roads are a complete disaster because they do not know how to drive a car correctly.
Oh, so this whole 'India' reference was about the fact that people who don't know how to drive, yet attempt to, will be bad drivers? If that's what you're getting at, we're in the same boat. India also has a different culture than ours, bad infrastructure, very crowded cities, and lax law enforcement.

Like I said it will never pass. If it does I will give you 1 month of my income! Put up or shut up as the saying goes. Nobody with any level of intelligence would ever think any differently.
Yeah, it probably won't pass. Not with the direction *cough* misdirection this country is headed in. Especially since most people don't know what 'freedom' really means. 'Freedom' has degenerated into a slogan used to make people feel good. A very small minority actually understand the term.

I can see where this is headed I'm I am not going there. You go a head a take your shots. I'm finished on this thread.

Have a good day.

Terry

Have it your way. I'll have it my way.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Thing of it is requiring a drivers license to OPERATE a motor vehicle in no way restricts a person of their right to travel. You can travel anywhere you want to in the entire United States without any sort of license or permission. You can walk, ride a bike, take a bus, plane, train, ride in a car, truck or on a motorcycle without a license. Saying that requiring a person have a license to operate a vehicle is restricting their right to travel is just plain stupid. That right there is a fine example of your tax dollars at work.:rolleyes:

:edit: And BTW if this does somehow miraculously pass be prepared for Georgia to have the highest auto insurance rates in the country and also the highest amount of automobile liability litigation, the trial lawyers are gonna get stinking rich(er).

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I have actually watched the movie mad max more than 12 times , not only because it reminds me of interstate 85 in Atlanta Georgia , but I have already seen die hard more than 20 times ; and there is nothing else on television.,,. and it has an story , machines stop running because of no gas , if yall have any ideas on how to attach an crows nest to an build ,, please paste them on the build pictures thread ,, we will need them with this law ,, and without an pictured license identification , I will go by the nic name max or toecutter while on the highway ‘’ they will never know the difference

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Does it say operate a motor vihicle or just travel(by foot ,bike ,horse,etc)by non motorized means on all roads

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
The constitution is correct. This is America not India so that dribble is incorrect. If you want to legally drive a vehicle and the state says you need a license then you need one until something changes. If you want to present bills and protest, it is your right to do so. Having or not having a license has nothing to do with weather you will drive incorrectly down the road. The license is more for the carpetbaggers than the state (the insurance corporations). Insurance is based on dishonesty and probability. My primary concern is for our personal freedoms and due process of law. When the state whom is controlled by the insurance companies makes it impossible to legalize or make it more difficult to legalize reasonable transportation (MB), by passing laws that allow any city or municipality to create there own laws to discriminate than we need to fall back on constitutional law and enforce are right to free travel. Citizens have rights but only when they exercise them. We should work together to enforce are rights by changing bad laws.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the rebel part of me liked it,but the common sense part would love to hear how they plan to keep track of things and support the road system,and keep up w/wrecks,,,,,how do you drive out of state w/out a license

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One thing I think a lot of you are missing is just because you aren't required to have a license, doesn't mean you don't have to obey traffic laws.

In most states you don't need a license to ride a bicycle, but you're still required to obey traffic laws.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
That's correct. People will still be required to obey the traffic laws. Without a DMV, the insurance companies will probably require drivers to pass a competence test to have an automobile insured. And if you don't want insurance that's your choice. I learned how to drive from my parents. Drivers will still be held accountable for any damage they cause while operating an automobile. Who knows? We may see more people use mopeds and motorbicycles if licenses weren't required.

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Since most schools teach drivers education now, its not like people arent taught the traffic laws or how to drive, all their saying is that their getting rid of the arbitrary offices of licensing and allowing you to drive as long as you know how. If you act like a dumb ass on the street, guess what, you go to jail just like you do now.
The greatest part of this is it means no restriction on what you can and cannot ride down the road. If it can keep up and not inhibit the flow of traffic, then ride it to your hearts content.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually due to budget cuts most schools do not provide drivers education. Trust me on this, in the past two years I've had to pay roughly $600 to get two of my son's their licenses and luckily I have a 4 years before my third son is due.

Ok you say you'll still have to obey traffic laws to drive without a license, well with a license program there is some reasonable guarantee that all licensed drivers know those rules instead of just anyone hopping behind the wheel and causing accidents.

Another valid point is if people don't have licenses how do they invoke any kind of control over bad drivers including those who have lost their licenses and aren't supposed to be driving in the first place? Also, how will there be any kind of accountability to one's actions behind the wheel if you get pulled over, no license is required and people just give whatever identity they choose at that particular time.

As far as insurance being a bad thing, consider this example, you're driving down the road on your MB, someone comes up behind you, not paying any bit of attention to you and runs you down, you end up severely injured and have to spend years recovering from your injuries.

Sue you say? Ok, the person is on welfare and doesn't have a dime to their name so sure you may get a judgment against them but you'll never collect anything. Or the other option, because there are no drivers licenses the person gave the police a fake name and has since dissapeared leaving you hanging out to dry trying to pay your own medical and rehabilitation bills.

Now reverse that scenario, what if you were the driver that caused an accident like that? How would your life change when you find out that you'll be paying for someone's care for the rest of your life?

People, licenses and auto insurance have been around for nearly 100 years for good reason it's not some conspiracy.

I don't know about India but where my brother lives in the Philippines there are no traffic laws per-se, people drive how they want, where they want. There are no traffic lights or stop signs. My brother has to be extra careful when he drives because he's considered a "rich American" even though he lives off disability. Even if there's a traffic accident with a fatality the police do NOT get involved in it, the parties resolve it themselves. and this is a direct quote from my brother, "If you hit someone you'd better make sure you kill 'em because if their dead you pay the family the equivalent of $500 and it's settled. You'd better not hope they survive and are disabled because you'll be paying them for the rest of their life."

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Actually due to budget cuts most schools do not provide drivers education. Trust me on this, in the past two years I've had to pay roughly $600 to get two of my son's their licenses and luckily I have a 4 years before my third son is due.
perhaps it would have been cheaper to wait until they were 18, then all they needed was to pass the road test and written exam, and presto, license for under 50 bucks. Take them out, teach them to drive, then make them wait.
Ok you say you'll still have to obey traffic laws to drive without a license, well with a license program there is some reasonable guarantee that all licensed drivers know those rules instead of just anyone hopping behind the wheel and causing accidents.
I hate to break it to you, but having a license does not in any way mean you know how to drive or even what the laws are. for example, I've had 50 people tell me its legal to make a LEFT hand turn on a red light since I've moved to Michigan, and I've shown each of them that they were breaking the law.
Another valid point is if people don't have licenses how do they invoke any kind of control over bad drivers including those who have lost their licenses and aren't supposed to be driving in the first place? Also, how will there be any kind of accountability to one's actions behind the wheel if you get pulled over, no license is required and people just give whatever identity they choose at that particular time.
first, realize that revoking a license does not mean that a person isn't going to drive. it merely means a bigger fine if you get caught. The fact their doing away with licenses doesn't mean you wont have to have some form of identification, as every state offers ID's. Getting rid of the need for a license simply means your held to a higher level of accountability, and if you mess up, you skit the little fine, and go straight to the big one.
As far as insurance being a bad thing, consider this example, you're driving down the road on your MB, someone comes up behind you, not paying any bit of attention to you and runs you down, you end up severely injured and have to spend years recovering from your injuries.
the likelyhood you'll get a speedy payout from their insurance company is slim to none. I was in that exact situation in my car, sitting at a red light, lady on a cell phone hit me in the rear at 65mph. It took 2 and a half years, and i ended up getting 3k more then the payoff on my car, because I had health insurance so they were not required to pay anything over my deductable (which i have none).

the point here isn't that your not going to have to know to drive, or that your not going to have to have insurance, its that they are no longer going to regulate what you can and can not travel on. think about this, if you want to drive a car, you need a license, if you want to drive a motorcycle, you need a completely different license that costs you more, if you want to drive a truck, guess what, another license, and if you want to drive a low speed vehicle, yet another one. God forbid if you want to drive a moped, still yet another license. All of those licenses means you have to rely on cops to know the different regulations, limitations, and acceptable qualities of each of those vehicles. What this law will do is say hey, if it moves, feel free to ride it, if your breaking the law, whether its a moped, motorcycle, car, truck, golf cart, whatever, you will be stopped and fined, without them having to worry about if their getting the particular addendum to the letter of the law confused, which ultimately means that police officers will be more competent in their traffic monitoring duties, and there's less confusion causing loopholes to get away with.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
if people don't have licenses how do they invoke any kind of control over bad drivers including those who have lost their licenses and aren't supposed to be driving in the first place? Also, how will there be any kind of accountability to one's actions behind the wheel if you get pulled over, no license is required and people just give whatever identity they choose at that particular time.

Because it you cause property damage that you can't pay for, you could still be fined, for driving. If you cause personal injury you could still face liability, or jail time. It wouldn't matter if you have a license or not. A license doesn't give you the right to do those things now. I don't see where anyone said you don't have to show valid ID if you commit a crime.

Same as above

Sue you say? Ok, the person is on welfare and doesn't have a dime to their name so sure you may get a judgment against them but you'll never collect anything. Or the other option, because there are no drivers licenses the person gave the police a fake name and has since dissapeared leaving you hanging out to dry trying to pay your own medical and rehabilitation bills.

How's this different from now? It happens all the time.

Now reverse that scenario, what if you were the driver that caused an accident like that? How would your life change when you find out that you'll be paying for someone's care for the rest of your life?

How's this different from now?

People, licenses and auto insurance have been around for nearly 100 years for good reason it's not some conspiracy.

As I think you can see now, not really true. It's more about government control, and fees, because nothing would really be any different without licenses.

I don't see how anything would have to be any different.