Hit By a Veichle

GoldenMotor.com

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Even though its a few months old, It's still a good thread. I've never been hit on my MB so far, (Knock on wood.) But my shop manager is another story. Eight times to date. I tell him Thank God he's not a cat or he's only got one shot left. This time the young man that hit him drove off laughing. Another guy saw it all and chased down the guy and got his plate number. My guy should be Okie rich pretty soon. The dude had insurance but the lawers are dragging their feet.
I've had some close calls that left me stopped in the middle of the street screaming lewd things at some little old lady. I'm sure everybody watching thought I was crazy. Cage drivers do stupid things in front of MB's, Probably thinking it's only a bicycle and not doing 30mph. But I've said it before too, If ya wanna do much more than 30mph, get a motorcycle.
fatdaddy.usflg
Getting hit by a car around here will be hard to avoid. The drivers just aren't used to bicycles or motor bikes because the kids today are all in the house. I watch my blurry shaking mirror all the time to dodge them if they come at me. I've had a couple near-misses already.
Keep your head on a swivel so you're aware of everythang, and ride like you're invisible to them.
Good luck to all. drn2

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Very true... I personally own 3 motorcycles and they all have their place in my life, they have all been customized by me and have numerous upgrades.
I started this with the motorized bicycles just out of pure fun, its an easy hobby in comparison but its also a fun one. I came in with a plan to build one alongside another friend so we could see who could build a faster bike... all just out of fun, but we both toot layoff notices at work and I already bought a kit... needless to say I built mine and I was hooked. My friend was able to keep his job at Boeing but he ended up having to relocate. I used my severance pay to start my own auto shop so now we're both still financially capable to buy a small motorcycle or 3 but these things are. So much more fun to tinker with, not to mention there is a huge price difference between upgrading one if these and a Harley, or even a 200cc dirt/street bike.
I just enjoy the build, the upgrading, and finally the ride.... I even choose to ride mine over the sportstrr in the mornings to do my taco runs etc... I can push it out the office door and no need to open up the main shop door so its quick and convenient that way, but its the fun factor that keeps me going to it instead of the motorcycles.

Yep, I have a Harley, and old Yamaha and a 150cc scooter that are all enjoyable to ride, but none is as much fun overall as my motorized bicycles.

Some people see me pull up on the softail custom and say " nice bike " or just look for a second, other act as though it scares them or they dont like the sound of the Big Radius Vance & Hines slash cut pipes.....lol

When I pull up anywhere on one of my motorized bicycles I get many looks, big smiles, people want to take a picture, they want to ask questions and they want one thenselves or for the kids or grandkids, the motorized bicycle is the well accepted crowd favorite to most, oh yeah there are the idiots out there that act like its a joke and look down their nose at it but thats just because they're the arrogant type that think its only cool if they have one.....lol those people dont even count in my opinion, they just go around waisting good air that would be better used being sucked through an NT Speed carb.....lol..!

Yes we love our motorized bikes dont we....laff

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Daddy, the more lawyers drag their feet the more they can charge.
I've been hit on a bike twice but no injuries, once as a kid and once
when the mirror of a truck knocked me off my bike. Dude didn't even
slow down.
So Map, you must be the guy that practically made me jump outa my skin
today when he roared upon me with those loud pipes.:)
Thought I had a freight train on my ass.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I run all my motorcycles open and loud too... That way there's none of that"I didn't see him" or I didn't know he was there" B.S. if I do get hit, and BTW, I did get hit last year sitting at an intersection when some guy in an SUV thought it was more important to look at his daughter in the back seat than the road. Lucky for me he was close to stopped when he hit me and it just shoved me forward a few feet. I thought it was my clutch letting go at first, then I saw nothing but grille in my rearview mirrors.
I pulled the bike off the road and the guy followed me, I looked over the bike and didn't see any real damage so I kept him nervous but finally let him go since I was on my way to work. About 2 or 3 days l;ater I have a car follow me off the freeway telling me my tail light fell off and shattered on the highway... After that I get the bike home to find out that hit took out the rear tail light bracket and it's electronics that run the signals etc so it still ended up costing me, but still luckily I didn't get hurt.

I also get the same reactions when I pull up next to people at the stoplights, some give a quick look and then turn away, others give me a thumbs up, and others sit there nervously waiting for the light to turn green when I'm on either of the V twins.
When I'm on the bicycle, people smile and wave, give me thumbs up, follow me to the shop asking to see it closer or get pictures of it as well as asking if it's for sale, where they can get one, and if I'll build one for them... It's a really cool reaction and that reaction multiplies at biker ralleys or motorcycle related events etc... take a Harley to the ralley and everyone has one, but take a $500 bicycle with an engine and everyone wants one.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nobody here gives a crap about motorized bicycles. Nobody but me rides them.

I will say that people smile at me when I go by, but I dunno if they think it's cool or they think I'm nuts.

I've owned 11 motorcycles in my lifetime so far, 3 are in my garage now. None of them have had any exhaust or intake modifications or any engine work. They are plenty fast enough stock. And nice and quiet too. I've never been down (except the dirt) and I've never been hit. Lucky me.

If you ride (or drive) any motor vehicle past my house and I can't hear the TV then I hate you. Sorry, but that's the way I feel. Your right to a loud muffler ends when I can't hear the TV anymore.

No, I don't want to see what you've got I want it to go away.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
No need to look up... I can be heard when needed, but when I reach the neighborhood you won't hear me go by since I'm usually idling along in 2nd or 3rd gear nice and quietly... I used to work swing shift at Boeing for several years and none of the neighbors ever said they could hear me go by on the way home in the middle of the night.
Pretty much as long as I take off slowly and sensably nobody indoors will hear me, but if I do take off at full throttle Everyone hears it. I used to have that favorite spot to take off hard and fast on my way home until one night I saw the cop cars kinda hidden out of the way right before I really gunned it so I took a different route home for a week or so then just kept quiet on that stretch too...