Getting used to colder weather.

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Before this year, I would think twice about riding below 40 F. But since we have been below freezing for about 2 months now, 30 degrees is my new "low" this year.

Today was supposed to be 37 and sunny according to about every forecast I saw. The thermometer on my porch read 27 when I left about 1PM. I got back home before 4PM and it still read 27. Maybe it is stuck?

I have a foot-long glass tube scientific thermometer. I mounted it next to my cheap porch dial thermo to test its accuracy. They are both within a degree. The weathermen on TV keep saying it is 5 to 10 degrees warmer than it actually is, and I thought my porch thermo was wrong. Both thermos are sheltered from wind and sun, like temp readings are supposed to be.

Anyway, I am getting used to riding around in sub-freezing temps, but a little seasonal weather would be nice. Well, it is almost January, so seasonal means staying inside soon anyways.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, love the avatar, A_dam

Ayup, now is the winter of our discontent and really cold here too.

Think the thermometer thing is just his is or ain't in the sun.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I still ride my Harley in sub freezing temps, not as much as I used to, but the cold weather rarely stops me from riding. All I really need other than a good wind proof leather jacket & chaps And a full face helmet is some really good gloves since my hands can't take the cold as well as everything else.

One idea I got a few years back was to install a set of those enduro type brush guards over the controls since they do an excellent job for keeping that wind off my knuckles

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I been sissy-in out in the cooler weather lately, if I lived in town or at least closer to town I would ride here and there maybe but since I'm way out in the boonies I just jump in the F150 crank up the heater and go that route so far this year.

I'm with you though Dave, all the right gear makes a huge difference, never thought about the dirt bike brush guards though...hmm I may have to see if they would be hard to rig up on the FXSTC bars.

Map

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
past few weeks i've put a few hundred miles on my bike in temps from 20-50... worst so far was about 60 miles worth in 37 degrees and pouring rain... thank God for rain gear lol

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I still ride my Harley in sub freezing temps, not as much as I used to, but the cold weather rarely stops me from riding. All I really need other than a good wind proof leather jacket & chaps And a full face helmet is some really good gloves since my hands can't take the cold as well as everything else.

One idea I got a few years back was to install a set of those enduro type brush guards over the controls since they do an excellent job for keeping that wind off my knuckles
I saw an article (long time ago) that showed how easy it is to make those out of plastic bleach bottles.
This trick might be useful to winter time motor bike nutz.
You just cut away everything that doesn't look like a brush guard and tape em on.
dnut

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Anything under 45 degrees and I'm out.
A snowmobile suit might change all that, though.
I once helped a family move in darkest January, riding on the back of the truck wearing one, and had to unzip it to stay cool.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I give you my word of honor; I'm a cold weather wimp. Yet I can ride an MB in single digits (Fahrenheit).

Once you learn how to dress, you've got it made, made, made! My only regret is that it took me so long to learn. I could've been a winter freak decades ago. But it took that long to figure everything out.

On a pedal bike I have to be concerned with overheating if the temp is above about 10 deg F. Though I'll admit that that's a different world than transport with a motor.

On a motor bike I do have to dress a bit heavier, it's true. But not enough to be a big problem. And I've ridden as low as 5 or 6 deg F and been plenty comfortable. Yes, the area around my eyes and cheekbones gets a bit uncomfortable. Maybe toes and fingertips, too. But if the cold spots are small, then it's not a big deal.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If you're riding a motorcycle with 12v electrics, why not fit heated grips, or even go for a heated jacket? They've been around for long enough.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I have to get to work, unfortunately I ride late at night and early in the morning, the two coldest times. It's California cold, but I live in the high desert where it actually does get cold.

Been riding in 37-45 degree weather. First I got a jacket, then my gloves, I was fine until recently. Now I found my winter riding gloves and baklava.

I wear a motocross helmet, but I'm looking at goggles and thermal pants under my work uniform.

I should look into chaps

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Finaly broke down and picked up some leather gloves today. Its texas so I dont really have that long to worry about the chill. it has been in the 30s lately and that tends to bite through my soviet gear due to my lack of layers and probably all the buttons im missing now :p

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I make regular use of my bomber-jacket, ushanka, and snowmobile gloves when I ride, surplus goggles too. No-motor yet, just pedals and autumn.
Oh, Canada.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
It's 10:24 AM , blue sky's and 24 deg. out side here in Astoria OR. I just got back from a ride. Short one.
Lot's of fleece , a warm sweater, my Elmer Fud hat , and I'm fine.
Beeeeeutiful day to ride along the river walk.
Dress warm and go. You won't be sorry.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I make regular use of my bomber-jacket, ushanka, and snowmobile gloves when I ride, surplus goggles too. No-motor yet, just pedals and autumn.
Oh, Canada.
I am all about the Ushanka when it gets cold! Sadly the Tie strings on mine have frayed so its stuck in the up position. I miss tying it down, wouldnt feel any amount of cold!

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I am all about the Ushanka when it gets cold! Sadly the Tie strings on mine have frayed so its stuck in the up position. I miss tying it down, wouldnt feel any amount of cold!
I may or may not have reflexively saluted your photo

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
you know, a lot of people assume I'm an officer for some reason. I was riding past some lady that was shouting in a parking lot and when she turned around and saw me she donned this really surprised the look and quickly said " Apd[short for austin police dept.] is here everyone, how do you do officer?" to which I said nothing you continued riding past with a smirk on under my scarf.
then again when I was outside of some karaoke place getting my bearings some people that came outside for a smoke break asked me if I was a cop. They said it wAs the vest...