Safety running WOT (i'm scared)

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm not totally against riding WOT all day everywhere one goes. I have a few customers that do it and they use up a motor 2 or 3 times a year. The gas they save over a car is plenty to put in new motors with a lot left over and they really seem to have fun riding that way. They just consider it 'maintenance'.

For my guys that REALLY need to get to work reliably, I discourage such practices tho.

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
I would think going with a 36t and then tuning your engine for low end torque would be the best of both.
Cool thanks for the info. That is exactly what I will do. I know a very reliable guy in my area that can help me out with the switch and tuning too. I am more concerned with reliability>super bike

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
I'm not totally against riding WOT all day everywhere one goes. I have a few customers that do it and they use up a motor 2 or 3 times a year. The gas they save over a car is plenty to put in new motors with a lot left over and they really seem to have fun riding that way. They just consider it 'maintenance'.

For my guys that REALLY need to get to work reliably, I discourage such practices tho.
That's good to know. I will definitely not be riding WOT anymore except for those random moments I want to be exciting lol, or drive in the street to get into a left turn lane (gotta keep up with traffic, I don't like risking getting pulled over using the sidewalk to use a crosswalk)

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Just a note/story:
My first bike was some older schwinn from craiglist with some unkown china girl engine. The thing was a piece of junk as far as asthetics go. It looked like crap, it was rusty, the engine was old as ****, it leaked oil, and the muffler was attached using steel wire (my improv when the bolts snapped and I didn't re-tap it right). But I rode everywhere WOT, rode it in rain, let it sit out in the rain, and it was super reliable and never broke (it ended up getting stolen). The thing was a TANK. Then I buy a new bike and everything but the motor itself breaks lol. However my bike is pretty much all after market (well... not stock) now (pipe, chain, carb, bearings in wheels, chain tensioner, custom grips, brakes, spark plug, spark plug boot and wire, fuel line, engine mount with lock-tite) so I probably won't have to touch anything for a long time.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Use a little common sense. Not cutting you down but I had to make a decision what is fun to what is just silly. I've been there. When I'm riding mine now it is for pleasure. I'm not in any hurry to get any where.

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Use a little common sense. Not cutting you down but I had to make a decision what is fun to what is just silly. I've been there. When I'm riding mine now it is for pleasure. I'm not in any hurry to get any where.
I've found myself leaving earlier for work now and crusing slower. After I fullfilled my speed demon craze, I find more pleasure with a laid back and slow cruise.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I know how you feel bro. When I first got my bike/engine I was the same way "HOW FAST CAN I GO!" Now even though I know I CAN hit 40 I stick around 28. I hate the vibrations and shudder at the thought of wiping out at 35+(even though I do wear a helmet and gloves). I have a setup like yours and run a 36t sprocket and love it. My bottom end doesn't suffer much and I have a pretty good top end.
Riding with traffic here in Vegas is not easy, I try to stay as far to the right as possible but that forces me into about a two foot wide space to stay and sometimes it uncomfortable. I prefer the sidewalk sometimes where I KNOW that I won't get hit from behind.
Living in the city I see so many of those cheap scooters that can only do 40 mph driven by people who shouldn't be on the road. Wearing no shirt, shorts, and flip flops, with their girlfriend on the back, taking up an enitre lane, talking on their cell phones, going under the speed limit in rush hour and it pi$$es me off!
But enough of the rant. I try to be a safe driver when I am out there with traffic, and I know I cannot keep up so I try to be as far out of their way as possible.
I too don't believe these engines are meant to be run WOT all the time. Ride it comfortably and how you are happy with it.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Hey guys. I have a grubee 66cc engine, an X chamber tuned to top-end, an NT carb, and a stock sprocket on a micargi bicycle. I cruise just fine at 20-25mph with no vibrations (how I ride everywhere). Then I get more and more vibration as I climb speed and the chamber kicks in. I top off at 40mph (clocked @ 39 mph on those speed signs) and the revs sound so high and there's so much vibration. I personally don't care about the vibration but everything just sounds scary like somethings going to break. Is it safe to ride for longer periods at this speed or is it just going to destroy the bike somehow? I'm worried about my safety. Thank you :)

notes: The bike is stable, wheels have almost no play left and right, chain is tight with 1/2 play and proffessionally aligned, no fenders on bike.
Mine has no major vibration and will go about the same speed. It does have a low frequency above 30 that will make your hands go numb along with another part of the body just above of the front of the seat.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've only ever had my bike at WOT once. I have no speedo so I have no clue how fast I was going. It wasn't for all that long. The vibes were a bit more intense; it was a bit louder; the bugs hit me harder, but outside of that - not real scary. Keep in mind though, I've been tuning mine off and on over the years, and I keep nuts at proper tightness and bearings properly lubed. Sometimes I tinker for no reason other than I just love to.

However, my preferred method of riding is determined by my bike's comfort zone. On level ground when I get up to about somewhere between 25 and 30 mph I'm guessing, the motor hits just the right revs. And it just hums really smoothly. And it glides at a really nice clip, almost effortlessly. And I hate to move the throttle even a little bit 'cause the bike feels happy like that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've only ever had my bike at WOT once. I have no speedo so I have no clue how fast I was going. It wasn't for all that long. The vibes were a bit more intense; it was a bit louder; the bugs hit me harder, but outside of that - not real scary. Keep in mind though, I've been tuning mine off and on over the years, and I keep nuts at proper tightness and bearings properly lubed. Sometimes I tinker for no reason other than I just love to.

However, my preferred method of riding is determined by my bike's comfort zone. On level ground when I get up to about somewhere between 25 and 30 mph I'm guessing, the motor hits just the right revs. And it just hums really smoothly. And it glides at a really nice clip, almost effortlessly. And I hate to move the throttle even a little bit 'cause the bike feels happy like that.
That is a great feeling when that baby is ginning right along in that comfort zone...... gotta love it....!dance1

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That's what I love about a pipe with a 36 tooth rear gear....
Widens the sweet spot!
I've got a rare one: a 38 tooth. I move a little, tiny bit quicker than a 41, and I haven't noticed the engine really working for it. And I can still climb hills with little effort.