I finally got one

GoldenMotor.com

alaskan

Jul 14, 2010
fairbanks
I never had a minibike or fourwheelers or snowmachines or anything, it's my first motorized thing besides cars or trucks. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to motor mechanics. I'm really familiar with bicycles though...

A local shop was selling these for ~$400 for the past few years, but I got this one from a guy on craigslist for 200. He said he got it four months ago, then stopped riding it after he wrecked in june.

this is how I got it

this was earlier tonight, in the middle of a pretty good test...
http://i.imgur.com/gryzwP9.jpg

I did some quick searching, and just on this forum there are quite a few stories about the fenders on these Schwinns breaking loose and getting in the spokes/wrapping around the tire and causing wrecks.

Funny, that's exactly what happened to the kid I got mine from. I drilled some holes and wrapped some bailing wire a bunch of times around the fender/braces/fork, so it should stay put.

If there's anything you can tell me to keep the engine in shape, I'd really appreciate it.

I know the first thing I'm supposed to do is replace the spark plug/cable...

What's the maintenance routine look like? Can anyone Identify the engine and point me to a manual?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You did good on price for the bike. Congratulations.

The engine is the common Chinese 2 stroke. You'll find them under many brand names but essentially they're all about the same. There are minor differences but nothing that hasn't been covered here many times. There are different carburetors, the most common is the NT or the infamous CNS. Again, lots of information here on both. Try using the search feature for questions by typing in a keyword/s and you'll find plenty to read on every subjet associated with motorized bicycles. If you can't find an answer there's always someone ready to offer help or advice.

Use a good 2 stroke oil formulated for air cooled engines, make your ratio 32:1 gas to oil, and above all ride careful and keep a close watch on those fenders. They can, as you've found, be a source of problems, some dangerous.

Good luck, have fun.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
We're glad you joined up. You've got a nice looking bike there.

This is a good time to bring up an idea that I've been pondering. What about replacing the bolts holding the rear of the fender to the stay with plastic bolts? The should be available at a decent hardware store. And they'd just rip away if that fender got caught on the tire. Then the stays would not wrap around the axle. This should save the rider from flip-over. Or at least help the odds.

But back to the subject; you'll be able to find all sorts of good info here. The 'search' tool is useful.

But I've also found it useful to just read, read, and read. I just click on any thread headline that looks interesting and read until I've finished the thread or lost interest. Then I click on another. I've learned a lot and it's saved me from errors that I likely would have made otherwise.

Good luck and have fun.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can answer that one, Blue.

My rear fender actually ripped the fasteners out of the frame and through the fender then the fender wrapped under the rear wheel. It jammed there which meant instead of rubber on the road I slid sideways on a steel sled. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48419

The best option is to remove the fenders completely or reinforce them in such a way that loosening and getting caught in the tire is impossible. I'll be installing a new fender on my chopper but I guarantee it will never come off again. I'm welding it on.

Tom

Last edited: